Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel
Ach Na Sheen B&B(Tipperary)
$112
$161
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
Bit & Bridle Inn(Tipperary)
  • Restaurant
Coopers Cottage(Tipperary)
Priceline
The Lodge B&B(Tipperary)
TripAdvisor
All reviewslimerick junctionwedding venuesteakself cateringfrom start to finishshort breakleisure centrefunction roomcouldn't do enoughsecond to nonelast weekendfamily roomsparebeccafootpathbarmanireland
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Booked in with my partner as we have traveled a lot of miles on Sunday and wanted somewhere nice to relax for the evening. I have given this "hotel" a one star grading as i could not give it a lower one. It is listed as a 4 star hotel with Discover Ireland. This is generous and i shall me contacting Discover Ireland or Bord Failte to discuss same. From the moment we arrived it was a nightmare.

1) Unfriendly staff at front desk. Barely even a "Hello". Was like we were putting them out of their way when checking in.

2) Was informed that there was no restaurant. Only bar food.

3) Upgraded to a junior suite. You could not see the TV from the bed or the suite of furniture. Had to call the front desk to have someone to call to room to move the TV cabinet.

4) No hot water. Called to front desk again. Told me they would have someone look at it. Never called back to say if the issue was resolved or not.

5) Heated towel rail in room not working. Water would not drain from sink. When i attempted to have a shower the lever for switching from bath to shower came off in my hand

6) Went to bar for food. The floor was dirty, there were tables that were not cleared away. Sat at bar for few minutes and nobody asked us if we wanted a drink a menu etc. We went to a table and had to ask for it to be cleaned. Waited for up to 10 minutes and finally had to ask someone if we could order food. On a notice in the hotel i seen it written that they "served the finest in Irish and European cuisine" This could not be further from the truth and is a mis representation. Is a burger and fries and Turkey and ham the finest in Irish and european cuisine, I dont think so!!!

7) The food was horrible. The plates were almost shoved in front of us. Were not asked if we needed any condomonts etc etc. Again we had to get our own. No "enjoy your meal". A burger between 2 buns and some fries. And i mean "some" fries. TRhe food was bland and the meat was tough the turkey and ham was luke warm. We were still hungry after eating.

8) The majority of the staff are either not happy working there or morale in the hotel is very low. Nobody was working with a smile. We were told by a manager that they were under staffed

9) And to top it off. No hot water the following morning to have a shower.

10) Plus points. The room was fine. The staff member in the golf club was helpful and friendly and the staff at front desk the following morning were apologetic.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Colm01
Reviewed March 25, 2009

This is a great hotel. From the moment we checked in, everything was perfect. The check in was quick and easy.
The rooms are spacious and spotless. There is a great playroom for little ones with a well run kids club. My daughter was in 7th heaven. The pool is great for kids with a great view over the country side.
The food was excellant. We had our breakfast every morning and there was plenty of choice and it was always piping hot. At night the restaurant is really good, the service is quick and attentive.
The hotel is outside the town so you would need a car to get around. But there is plenty to see in the South East and Tipperary town is just a short drive away for a change in nightlife or if you fancied trying out a different restaurant.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and have booked to go back again for a couple of days in August. Am looking forward to it already.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Aero10
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Had a condo near the golf course, which was very clean and comfortable.

One member of the hotel staff was extremely rude to my daughter. We had been driving and sightseeing all day when we arrived at the hotel. The clerk was having some difficulty with the computer while checking us in. My daughter had taken a seat in the lobby and was dozing when she was rudely shaken and told by an employee that she couldn't sleep in the lobby. After I found out and complained about the treatment, the staff did little more than shrug it off as just one bad apple in the basket. In spite of the quality facilities, this appears to be a pretentious and snobby golf resort. The rudest and coldest behavior during our two-week stay in Ireland.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank island_rabbit
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Stayed in one of the lodges for two nights as part of a wedding function. I cant fault the hotel for the function itself. The reception area, meals and overall presentation were lovely. The waiting staff were also polite and well trained.

However my main problem was that in the room which we stayed there was no television. If we were staying for one night this wouldnt have bothered me as we would have only been using the room to sleep in. so i informed reception of this who told us that the tv was out for repairs and there was nothing they could do. I wasnt very happy with this response at all, not very good customer service in my opinion. I had more important things to be worrying about that weekend so didnt enquire further but felt that we should of at least been informed before we booked into the room, or have been offered a different room.

Other little problems included the water pump within the lodge, which when any water was running caused a very loud booming noise and the walls in our room to practically vibrate. The lock on the lodge was very stiff, as when the key was inserted the lock itself would change position making locking/unlocking the door extremely difficult. Also when we came back to our lodge after the first night, our emergency plan/fire plan which was framed was on the floor and the glass smashed into pieces. when we looked a little closer it turns out it was being held up onto the wall by blu-tack!!??!!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Fi123
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I have just returned from a wonderful spa break in the ballykisteen hotel. My sister and I brought my mum and auntie here for the weekend.We checked in lunch time on saturday, after the short 2.5 hour journey from dublin, and had lunch in the bar which was very tasty and served with a smile. Two of us had a massage and two had a facial and everyone really enjoyed it.

Our deal included our breakfast and dinner and we were so impressed with the standard of food,selection on the menu and the impeccable service at both meals. I had steak with pepper sauce which was tasty and perfectly cooked. plenty veg/potatoes and chips to keep us happy. The desserts were delicious, their chocolate cake was to die for!!

We also used the pool & jacuzzi while there and really enjoyed it. It was spotless and not packed like other hotel pools.
The room was well laid out with one of the comfiest beds ive ever slept in! Nice heavy curtains to block out the morning light after drinking wine in the bar til the wee hours! plenty fresh towels/tea & coffee etc in the room.

The hotel bar was buzzing saturday night with a guy playing the guitar from 11-12.30, really relaxing in the comfy couches - just so lovely!

I couldnt recommend this hotel highly enough and have already suggested a return visit to this wonderful place. It is in a remote area so I do think one night is sufficent, as you only stay in the hotel. We all floated back to dublin the following day after a truely wonderful and relaxing experience.

• Stayed: February 2009