“Great place to stay”

Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Tipperary
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My partner and I stayed in the hotel the weekend after Valentines day.The staff were very welcoming and the hotel was really comfortable and spotlessly clean. Our room was huge and well equipped and the food in the restaurant was amazing. We also enjoyed the leisure facilities which were lovely too.I would give it 10 out of 10.

Thanks Ballykisteen,
Samantha Freegrove

There are newer reviews for Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed here for three nights during the midterm break - husband and two pre-teens. Stayed in the lodges - nicely laid out, two bedrooms (en-suite), kitchen, sitting room, dining area. Great space when you have older kids - gives them their own privacy.
Kitchen - well equipped, no Microwave but oven,hob, toaster, dishwasher, fridge and cooking utensils and crockery. Our fridge most definitely had not being cleaned and had mildew visible in it. This was quickly rectified after a call to reception. Fire place is for decoration purpose ...a pity really! The weather was miserable during our stay and I would have loved to light a fire. The seating in the sitting area is not very comfortable. The evenings were dark and the ground very mucky! Walking over to the hotel in the evenings was a poorly lit , mucky event! Advise to bring a small torch...as they had none available at reception. We had breakfast in the hotel ...it was a bit hit and miss...limited and just ok. We ate in the bar as the restaurant was not open.. enjoyed the food and the children's menu had a good selection. We did not use the golfing facility, the leisure centre swimming pool is small but really nice and warm. Very small squashed changing room area and skimpy towels!!! Overall it was average stay.. weather did not help and generally felt there was something missing, but price was fair.

Room Tip: Bring a torch ...if staying in the lodges. Prepare to have mucky shoes if the weather wet. Not far...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed in Ballykisteen Hotel for Valentine's weekend. Reception wasn't particularly friendly. Although dinner was part of the deal we were told that restaurant is fully booked and we have to eat in the bar. Later we approached restaurant's supervisor and were given table straight away. Room is spacious, furniture is good but bathroom need some work. Tile ground came out in places, shower screen lets water to leak on the floor. We loved adjustable heating in the room.
The hotel has great potential but better staff training and other minor improvements are due.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked a self catering house through groupon, and got a good deal, so I went without the hubby, just took the kids (three of them) got a two bedroom house, which had a kitchen and sitting room, two bedrooms, one with t.v (the kids room) and both bedrooms ensuite, there was also a downstairs loo which was handy. The house was very warm, the only drawback was the noise from the watertank, it was very loud every time someone ran a tap. The house was a small walk away from the hotel, the weather was deplorable (as usual) and it was raining quite heavy, so I was not happy with the walk across to the hotel in the evening, as it always seemed to be raining when we wanted to go back and forth, and some genius would leave the back door to the hotel close, which would lock out anyone entering from the back area (where the lodges are located) and we had to walk around the perimetre of the hotel to the front in order to get in! plus on a few occasions the lights were not switched on in the back of the hotel, which was a bit annoying, as I ended up having to ask the bar man to turn them on so we could see where we were going, as the footpaths were waterlogged, and the last thing you need to step into a large puddle in the dark! other than the weather (which in fairness wasn't the fault of the hotel) the stay was enjoyable, the food was gorgeous in the bar, the starters for the kids were only €3 for a great choice, the mains were €6 and the desserts were all €3, and there was a huge choice, the food was fantastic, the adult prices were reasonable too, I had rack of lamb, and it was delicious, and the spa offer you a 10% discount for the restaurant. The staff were friendly and lovely, but the piece de resistance was the lovely girl (the Manager of the Spa, Simone) who made our stay. We had booked using a pigsback offer, whereby we had a €25 spa voucher each to use against a spa treatment, so I chose a mini-pedicure for my daughter and myself, and I must say Simone was just lovely, the treatment itself was lovely, I wish I had booked in for more, and i will certainly book other treatments when I go again. It think I would probably elect to stay in the hotel the next time, as the trip over and back from the houses was a bit of a drag. We had stayed a few years ago, when the kids were younger and they had availed of the free kids club and they had really enjoyed that, I remember them raving about the staff, how lovely they were, how they went that extra mile, and whilst my children were now too old for kids clubs, i could see from this visit that the staff had not changed their attidude. They were all helpful and friendly. I would definately book this hotel again on the experience I and my daughter had in the Spa, thanks to Simone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We went here for a nice relaxing break and that's exactly what we had! The room was really nice, with probably the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in and the biggest TV we have ever had in a hotel room. We each had a spa treatment but the availability was extremely tight even though we tried to book more than two weeks in advance.
The food was average but reasonably priced.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a suite for an extra €25 per night and I think it was well worth it!
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend stay at the Ballykisteen hotel and overall the hotel is average. Our room was 108 and it is in need of a really good clean, the walls over the bed were all dusty. We ate in the bar on the friday night and have to say the quality of the food is quite poor for the price which turned us off eating in the restaurant on the saturday night. I had a facial in the spa and have to say I really enjoyed it, the only thing was the external noise outside of the treatment room 5 was really off putting when trying to relax and unwind. The breakfast was poor, cheeses and salmon looked quite dated, the Irish breakfast a poor quality and the worst coffee out of a large flask.

Overall the hotel is nice but would not be rushing back and not a four star. The staff however were friendly and helpful at all times.

2  Thank mgt123dt
Reviewed February 4, 2013

To start I will say that my wife and myself had a lovely night in the Ballykisteen Hotel and Golf resort. We were given a voucher for a night as a Christmas present and were expecting a lovely, modern 4 star hotel. The staff were excellent from start to finish, the food was superb and the room was immaculately clean. Unfortunately there were some basics which let this hotel down.

The furniture in the room was fresh but basic. It was more in line with a 90's travelodge than a modern 4 star. The main issue I would have though was the upkeep and maintenance. The fan in our bathroom did not work and there was a piece from the bath/shower attachment missing. This was very little really but it was the communal areas which were let down.

One of the walls in the bar (beside the tv) was damp looking with two full widths of wallpaper peeling off. It was a little shocking to see in a modern hotel. The bar was basic and much more along the lines of a golf clubhouse bar rather than a hotel facility

Again, small things like a lot of cracked tiles on the stairs let the standard down.

The leisure centre needs attention. The changing rooms were dirty looking with no mats on the tiled floor. There were only three lockers with doors and the one I did pick, when opened, the door came off in my hand. The steam room again needs urgent attention as there are at least six areas where the mosaic tiles have fallen off and need to be replaced. This is a shame because the pool and hot tub are gorgeous.

Overall a nice hotel with friendly staff and really excellent food. Needs a little modernisation and a lot more care with upkeep and basic maintenance.

Hope this helps!

1  Thank Busby101Ireland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tipperary
Kilcoran Lodge Hotel
Cahir House Hotel
Cahir House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cahir
Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa

Been to Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!