“Beautiful views”

Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Chepstow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We explored the castle and walked the walls looking at the river and mountains. We would like to go back and see this castle again. We enjoyed seeing how it expanded over the years. It was interesting to see how they defended the castle and the different families that lived there.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was our second visit to Chepstow Castle and we enjoyed it as much as out first visit. Lots of ruined areas to climb and walk around. Fantastic views.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

By mistake, I ended up spending five hours in Chepstow. Long story short, wanted to get to Tintern Abbey by bus, but misread the schedule. So, ended up having to spend time in Chepstow til my train to London.

In the disappointment of not getting to Tintern, I did come find this castle a good alternative. Reasonable price to get in. It was much larger than I expected. Managed to while away some time there and have a good ramble through. Beautiful views from the clifftop. Some interpretive signage that told the backstory of the castle.

Although, I wouldn't suggest this as a destination place, if you ever find yourself in Chepstow, I highly recommend the castle as a great place to visit.

1  Thank Raven_7
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I live very local to this old castle and though I see it everyday it still has the power to fascinate me. It's well worth a visit,although you should be aware that apart from a few areas it is open to the elements and therefore a better place to visit on a good day. The views are outstanding overlooking the river Wye and the surrounding countryside. There is a nice little souvenir shop and the T I C is in the carpark and its only a 5 minute walk to the banks of the Wye and a selection of pubs and restaurants.The town of Chepstow is 10 minutes walk in the opposite direction with a good selection of shops(especially in St Mary St,the pedestrianised street) and more pubs,coffee shops and restaurants. The Forest of Dean is a 20 minute drive away so its easy to have a day out for not too much money which is important to a lot of us these days!

2  Thank Lynmar31849
Reviewed June 3, 2013

A great many heritage sites should take heed of the approach taken by Chepstow Castle in allowing visitors a large degree of free-reign in their exploration and providing a sufficient (but not overly-informed) amount of information regarding the purpose of each room or location.