“Consistently good quality food”
Review of The Olway Inn

The Olway Inn
Ranked #22 of 70 Restaurants in Chepstow
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I popped in here for a Sunday evening meal as I couldn't be bothered to cook at home. Had a wonderful steak and kidney pie that was packed with meat and flavour. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever had a disappointing meal here. The food is consistently fresh and well cooked, often using home grown vegetables. Not a frozen veg or oven chip in site, and the fish is always cooked to perfection.

1  Thank TravellerUsk

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We enjoyed our stay & meal at the Olway last year so much that my husband was happy to return here for a birthday treat this month. Once again Matt was a very pleasant host & the pub & the room were cosy, clean & inviting. It was great to see the inn so busy that the restaurant was in use for evening meals as well as the bar. Nicola had a night off from the kitchen & this may explain a few minor disappointments with aspects of the meal. Our starters were delicious - tending towards nouvelle cuisine in presentation & quantity, which was fine as we planned to have three courses. The scallops were, according to my partner very pleasant & I enjoyed the cheese & ham croquettes. The lamb shank I had was tender & the meat fell off the bone, the garlic mash could have been more garlicky for my taste & I am unsure whether I misread the menu but thought the gravy was based around redcurrants (which I couldnt taste any trace of). My partner opted for the steak & kidney pudding which he described as awesome - again for his taste a little more kidney wouldnt have gone amiss. The accompanying vegetables were grim - shredded cabbage & beans overcooked & on the edge of mush, while the cauliflower & brocolli underdone. Oh dear. Puddings however were consistently delicious - a trio of chocolate desserts - again nouvelle cuisine style which was more than sufficient to round off the meal, partners plum crumble with gingerbread icecream which was reported as a perfectly balanced dish. We enjoyed a delicious Hochar Lebanese red wine with our meal - Matt keeps an excellent cellar :0) Over night stay comfortable and cosy. Breakfast excellent as ever and kept us going for the rest of the day! Oh yes and Matt still makes the BEST proper gin Martinis in Wales, probably the UK & possibly even the World!

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Just had deliciuos Sunday lunch at the Olway. Took the three meat option, and got beef, beef ,and lamb to die for. This was the mos ttender, soft pork I have had on a Sunday dinner. The welcome from the staff was great. I will be back and definatrly would reccomend it

1  Thank Jade4cat
Reviewed April 2, 2013

On the road again ,we stopped at this pub for lunch. The dining room had an old inn charm with pristine white starched tableclothes and napkins, the staff charming and helpful.So good so far.Sadly the food didn't live up to the setting.I had roast beef which came swimming in gravy and I thought had been warmed in the sauce.The veg was sparse in fact I don't think there was a teaspoon of shredded cabbage between 2.Thankfully we are not big eaters .