“Friendly atmosphere”

Ranked #2 of 14 Chepstow B&B and Inns
Sohar, Oman
“Friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The guesthouse shows that you can have a friendly atmosphere with things efficiently run. There is a living room which can be used which was a nice alternative to being in your bedroom. They managed to change dates & room for us which was due to unforeseen circumstances. Found Sue & Julie helpful & friendly and unfazed by things.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very new house as reflected in the quality of the room and bathroom. Thoughtful extras in slippers and dressing gowns and plenty of toiletries supplied. Hospitality tray and fresh milk available in a shared guest fridge. (This was especially useful as we had really hot weather during our stay). Breakast was adequate.
On a main road which has pros and cons but a con for us as needed windows wide open in the heat so a bit noisy.

Room Tip: A room at the back of the house (i there is one) may have less traffic noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marion D
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We've just stayed at the Racecourse Guesthouse for one night, which is a shame as we wished we could have had more time there.
The Suite room we were given was very large, with a large bathroom with both a freestanding bath and a separate shower.
Absolutely everything about the Racecourse guest house is immaculate, right down to the lovely breakfast and very warm welcome.
We couldn't recommend the Racecourse guest house enough! What a total gem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I arrived at The Racecourse Guest House in a fairly exhausted condition having cycled over 100 miles from South of Exeter on the 3rd Day of a ride from Lands End To John O'Groats.
The first impression of the property was of a large, detached house recently constructed to a very high standard in a prime location. On arrival I was greeted very warmly by Julie, one of the proprietors. She immediately responded to my request for a safe store for my bicycle by clearing me a space in a large lock up garage.
The interior of the house reflected the standard promised by the exterior. Very light, spacious and beautifully finished. I was shown to an extremely comfortable, large bedroom in which were laid out not only towels and hot drink making facilities but also a bathrobe and slippers.
The room did not have an ensuite, but ,rather, an individually allocated large bathroom a short step across the landing. (This was the highest level of luxury that I encountered on my 11 day trip.) I was more than happy with this "find" of a B&B already when Julie offered me the free use of the utility room to wash and dry my cycling kit...Just perfect for me, and a unique offer throughout my journey.

The B&B is located on the A466 road which leads directly into the Wye Valley route North so, ideally located for my purpose. There is good pub within a 15 minute walk which offers a good quality comprehensive menu and a good standard of service. Otherwise the centre of Chepstow is a short car/taxi ride away.

When I originally booked this B&B Julie took the trouble to contact me to establish whether I had any special dietary requirements, (The only proprietor to do so) Hence I enjoyed porridge for breakfast as well as the usual options with eggs, toast etc.)
I also met Julie's partner Brian before I left, a very affable man, he also being the builder/developer of the property. (Also Sue/Doris who helped with the breakfast.)
This stay was in fact more like being the guest of a very welcoming family rather than just an overnight stay in a B&B. I imagine that this guest house must be a clear first choice for visitors to the nearby Racecourse.

Room Tip: Looking at other people's reviews and comparing my own experience. clearly all rooms are excelle...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

What an absolute find. Arrive at a beautiful house to be welcomed by Julie the owner. She showed us to our room and what a room it was.

The house is new and has all the amenities in the room and was better than what we expected. Clean ,crisp bed linen, fabulous fluffy towels and dressing gowns with slippers. Was better than a five star hotel.

Julie could not have done enough for us. She even done our washing for us as we were travelling, something I have never had before.

Breakfast was excellent, amazing arrange of fruit, yogurts, fruit juices and an amazing home cooked breakfast to set us up for our onward journey.

Do no pass this place it is the best bed & breakfast in the UK for sure.

Once again many thanks fir making our stay so relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The racecourse is a great place to stay and I'd highly recommend a visit. Exceptional service, spotlessly clean. fantastic room (Newbury), tasty varied breakfasts, run by Julie who wants to provide nothing less than the perfect guesthouse.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Stevenage, UK
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately we only stayed one night. Great rooms. Excellent breakfast and good coffee!!! The owner is really friendly and nothing is too much trouble. We have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this guest house and if we are in the area again will definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2013