This hotel was booked for me on behalf of the company I am working for in the area. When I first checked in the receptionist was on the phone. She stayed on the phone to what seemed her friend while she checked me in which didn't seem at all professional.
I went to my room which was quite small but fairly clean. The room had a small TV with only four channels, tea/coffee making facilities and too much furniture to put my case anywhere.
I then decided to go for dinner to be told that the restaurant only serves snacks in the evening. The receptionist told me that there were a few pubs and a few restaurants in the area but she wasn't very helpful with recommending the best place to go for a single female so I gave up. I'm not very comfortable with sitting in a pub on my own, especially since i dont know the area and what the pubs are like. I decided to go back to my room and read for a while but all I could hear were the floor boards creaking the whole evening. If you are a light sleeper this will cause you a problem as it is an old hotel and you can hear every sound.
In the morning I went for breakfast. You can only get a cooked breakfast from 8am which is not particularly early for the business traveller. I had to wait a long while before being served as I established that the receptionist also served breakfast (she probably even cooked it and cleaned the rooms)!! To me that is not the way to run a hotel efficiently. By this point my pateince had run out and I checked out of the hotel immediately.
The hotel probably isn't that bad if you are not staying on your own. I found the ONE and only hotel staff not very friendly but then she was probably too busy to worry about anything else!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The George Hotel offers a warm room with a comfy bed, tea and coffee making facilities and all the rooms are en suite. We also have a bar downstairs where you can eat and drink with free WIFI. Relaxing pub Sunday to Thursday (Bank Holidays Excluded) then party atmosphere on a Friday and Saturday Night from 9pm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your The George Hotel Chepstow reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- George Chepstow Hotel Chepstow
- Hotel George Chepstow
- The George Hotel Chepstow Wales