“everything all under one roof!!”

The George Hotel Chepstow
Ranked #11 of 14 Chepstow B&B and Inns
Tonypandy
“everything all under one roof!!”
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Booked The George last minute as we were invited to Chepstow Races.Checked in and bar staff arranged a taxi to take us to the racecourse.On return from the races which was about five mins away we had a lovely meal.After a freshen up we had a wander round the pubs then returned to The George for the disco.It is a popular disco as there was a queue outside but as we were staying there we walked straight in!The rooms are comfortable and clean altough the floorboards are a bit creaky!!The bed was ever so comfy.Next mornign breakfast was served in the conservatory,a full english, georgeous.We would reccomend this hotel to anyone,its in the centre of town has a car park and has a fab atmostphere,we are looking forward to going back in a a few weeks.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Maharashtra, India
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I stayed at The George in Chepstow for a night whilst on a business trip. I had stayed there thrice before but this time it was different.
Chepstow is in ideyllic Wye valley in Monmoth county which has very scenic conutryside views. One finds around many tracks for walking, trekking and cycling.
This is an old property in town of Chepstow very close to the town's arc gateway. Rooms are small but well maintained and adequately furnished.
They had a small restaurant on ground floor before and the way to rooms was winding throught the restaurant lobby.
After the management change a few months ago, this place has become a "happening" pub which comes to life over weekends with many people staying awake well past midnight.

This means that if you are traveling with friends and besides attending a weekend party with Disc Jockey and also want to stay after the party at this place, it is the ideal place.
However, as a business traveler, I must confess that there could be a few issues.Firstly, place is obviously very noisy in the evenings when you have to find your way to your rooms through guests. And person on the counter would be barely audible with music all around you. Secondly, since some of the rooms face the road, till late in the night, one keeps hearing loud noises from the street below. All in all, it is difficult to get quiet rest to overcome jetlag and to catch up with some work whilst in the room or in lobby. Another minor issue is internet through wireless is available only in the lobby and not in the rooms. Accidently, I got access in room to internet once but more as an exception. And there are limitations as to when you can go to lobby considering it is a pub in the evenin.

• Liked — Short distance from business place, room interiors adequate
  • Disliked — Noisy, dicey
  • Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Chepstow hotels

Surrey
Reviewed May 21, 2007

This hotel was booked for me on behalf of the company I am working for in the area. When I first checked in the receptionist was on the phone. She stayed on the phone to what seemed her friend while she checked me in which didn't seem at all professional.
I went to my room which was quite small but fairly clean. The room had a small TV with only four channels, tea/coffee making facilities and too much furniture to put my case anywhere.
I then decided to go for dinner to be told that the restaurant only serves snacks in the evening. The receptionist told me that there were a few pubs and a few restaurants in the area but she wasn't very helpful with recommending the best place to go for a single female so I gave up. I'm not very comfortable with sitting in a pub on my own, especially since i dont know the area and what the pubs are like. I decided to go back to my room and read for a while but all I could hear were the floor boards creaking the whole evening. If you are a light sleeper this will cause you a problem as it is an old hotel and you can hear every sound.
In the morning I went for breakfast. You can only get a cooked breakfast from 8am which is not particularly early for the business traveller. I had to wait a long while before being served as I established that the receptionist also served breakfast (she probably even cooked it and cleaned the rooms)!! To me that is not the way to run a hotel efficiently. By this point my pateince had run out and I checked out of the hotel immediately.
The hotel probably isn't that bad if you are not staying on your own. I found the ONE and only hotel staff not very friendly but then she was probably too busy to worry about anything else!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Jules99929