“good nights kip”

The George Hotel Chepstow
Ranked #11 of 14 Chepstow B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed in this Pub on the night 15/11 2012.
It is a pub with rooms, the manager / staff do not make any bones about that. That said ,the room we were in was a large spacious and airey room at the top of the builing. Nice little touches for a cold November day in Wales were a heated towel rack in the bathroon and a wall mounted hot air blower in the bedroom in case you felt cold. The bed had a slightly see-saw movement to it which I thought OK but my wife felt seasick to start. The fllorboards creak but I thought it added a little touch to the place. The paintwork could do with a bit of a going over as it is looking tired and some of the rooms were having a paint job etc while we were there.
The pub itself is just a normal chain type pub without a lot of rowdy behaviour, food was what you would expect (thursday.curry night) good selection of beer. Standard.
Breakfast was normal affair but the landlady did ask if you wanted anything special and how you wanted your eggs ie.fried/scrambled or poached and the bacon was the best that I have eaten in a week of B/B.
Although on a busy main road into the town after 10pm until 5.30am I did not hear any traffic apart from one very noisy motorbike reving up.
All in all for the price I though this was excellent value.

Room Tip: rooms facing the street
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jonsey_9
There are newer reviews for The George Hotel Chepstow

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Excellent location near the top of the High Street, almost opposite Chepstow bus station. The staff were helpful enough, but be aware that (despite the name) this is actually a large chain pub that has rooms upstairs - it is not really a hotel. There is no reception, so the staff you deal with are the bar staff. Normal access to the rooms is up a large staircase in the middle of the main bar. After hours, the doors to this staircase are locked and access is via a rather complex series of fire doors, external fire escape stairs, service corridors and back yards. If you are going to be out after closing time make sure you have worked-out how to get into the hotel and back to your room. I understand that the pub can be busy at the weekends, but I stayed on a Thursday night and it was almost completely empty by 10:30pm.

The room was a good size, and had a bath, which is always a plus for me. Room was clean, but rather tired looking, and the whole place is a bit tatty in places. The bed was very springy and moved around in a slightly alarming manner. However, I slept OK, and at £35 for single occupancy of a twin room (without breakfast) it was good value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2012

had an enjoyable nights stay good value for money accommodation and excellent food and drought beer, i did not stay for breakfast but the evening meal was top notch.a large room for £40 everything was there and worked, clean and tidy twin room with nice heavy drapes to darken the room 5****. would i stay again absolutely YES.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I understand this venue is also a bed and breakfast, although I only came to The George and had a meal! I called up and booked a table of 6 for my Mum's 41st birthday.. When we arrived we were led to a table that was decorated lovely with balloons and table decor! On ordering our drinks my Mother was also given a complimentary bottle of Champagne!! This was very unexpected and very nice of the staff! The food was great and the service was also just as great! We were made to feel very welcome! My Partner and I have since returned a number of times for dinner and the service/food was again very good! Very recommended!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Chloe B
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Good value, large room in need of a bit of TLC, quiet even on the main road, convenient.

That said the pub smelled like a brewery with worn and stained carpets. Not pleasant to be in. Although breakfast was not in the pub itself it still smelled of stale beer.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 29, 2012

very reasonable price - paid for a single - got a very large double on the second floor , just as well as there was a DJ on until 1:00 (saturday evening). I slept through it all as I was tired after a long walk on the offa's dyke - a walking holiday. They seem to want you to stay in room from 1:00 until 8:00 (unless an emergency) which I thought was a bit different. So don't stay here at weekend if you want it quiet.I didn't have the breakfast here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Visited the pub to watch the Australia v Wales rugby game on the tvs there. Have a drink and with some friends while we watched the game (evening in Oz, but 11am in Chepstow). Good choice of real ales including SA which unfortunately was off. Great venue to watch the rugby with lots of tvs so almost every seating area covered. The current new manager told us they are looking to improve the tv experience with a large screen too in the coming months so looks like it will be our venue for Six Nation tv watching next season.
We followed the game with a bar meal, which was good quality and value for money.
Not sure I'd want to stay there though. Wouldn't be keen on being above a pub if I wanted to sleep and pub was still open.
Having said that, from what I saw of the hotel bits, it was clean and tidy. So only the noise of a pub would stop me staying.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chepstow
Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow
#7 of 14 in Chepstow
Castle View
Castle View
#5 of 14 in Chepstow

Been to The George Hotel Chepstow? Share your experiences!