“good welcoming atmosphere”

The George Hotel Chepstow
Ranked #11 of 14 Chepstow B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 16, 2012

had an enjoyable nights stay good value for money accommodation and excellent food and drought beer, i did not stay for breakfast but the evening meal was top notch.a large room for £40 everything was there and worked, clean and tidy twin room with nice heavy drapes to darken the room 5****. would i stay again absolutely YES.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The George Hotel Chepstow

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I understand this venue is also a bed and breakfast, although I only came to The George and had a meal! I called up and booked a table of 6 for my Mum's 41st birthday.. When we arrived we were led to a table that was decorated lovely with balloons and table decor! On ordering our drinks my Mother was also given a complimentary bottle of Champagne!! This was very unexpected and very nice of the staff! The food was great and the service was also just as great! We were made to feel very welcome! My Partner and I have since returned a number of times for dinner and the service/food was again very good! Very recommended!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Chloe B
Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Good value, large room in need of a bit of TLC, quiet even on the main road, convenient.

That said the pub smelled like a brewery with worn and stained carpets. Not pleasant to be in. Although breakfast was not in the pub itself it still smelled of stale beer.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 29, 2012

very reasonable price - paid for a single - got a very large double on the second floor , just as well as there was a DJ on until 1:00 (saturday evening). I slept through it all as I was tired after a long walk on the offa's dyke - a walking holiday. They seem to want you to stay in room from 1:00 until 8:00 (unless an emergency) which I thought was a bit different. So don't stay here at weekend if you want it quiet.I didn't have the breakfast here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Visited the pub to watch the Australia v Wales rugby game on the tvs there. Have a drink and with some friends while we watched the game (evening in Oz, but 11am in Chepstow). Good choice of real ales including SA which unfortunately was off. Great venue to watch the rugby with lots of tvs so almost every seating area covered. The current new manager told us they are looking to improve the tv experience with a large screen too in the coming months so looks like it will be our venue for Six Nation tv watching next season.
We followed the game with a bar meal, which was good quality and value for money.
Not sure I'd want to stay there though. Wouldn't be keen on being above a pub if I wanted to sleep and pub was still open.
Having said that, from what I saw of the hotel bits, it was clean and tidy. So only the noise of a pub would stop me staying.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed for a Saturday night a couple of weeks ago. We knew when booking that it was a pub with rooms. The price was great (about £40) the room was big and had all the facilities ( a couple of packets of biscuits would have been nice though) The room was clean and presentable but very very hot. This meant that we slept with the windows open, which was actually living hell with the music pumping in the downstairs bar. Has we realized it was a young noisy crowd, we would have stayed down the road where one of our party stayed.
The staff were lovely, very friendly and courteous. Breakfast was good although the bacon had been cooked either on a grill or pan that had been over used ( I can't say a dirty grill, but it had that well used flavor)
All in all, I would recommend if you're staying during the week, but avoid the weekend if it's a good sleep you're after.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Showed up late for checkin. Staff was sweet. Never felt rushed, even though it was so late.
Wife and I got to our room, and it was simple but nice. Not anything exciting but worth every penny.
I look forward to going back to Chepstow, and when i do I know where i will stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chepstow
Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow
#6 of 14 in Chepstow
Castle View
Castle View
#5 of 14 in Chepstow

Been to The George Hotel Chepstow? Share your experiences!