“I don't think so” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 15 Chepstow B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“I don't think so”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

Booked it the night before. Great pics on the internet. Nice looking from outside, very historic looking. Inside was like a cheap and nasty city centre dive. The carpet had that stick to your feet feel. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. . .no complaints there. The room was dated but adequate. Do not expect modern although everything was there. Our room was the first door on the second floor. Shower head that didn't let the hot water run through it. Baths only I am afraid. The biggest gripe was that after we had paid. . . . . The staff told us that they had a DJ until 1am. Do not expect to sleep till its over. Banging doors, pissed up kids and thumping bass. Sounds a bit like an old man gripe. .I am not and it's all true. .

Room Tip: A different hotel is a good tip
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank markhatton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the George on Friday night. The hotel was easy to find and had ample free parking around the back. I read reviews before booking a room so I was aware the accommodation was above a pub and in fairness, the staff member who took my booking warned me of the noise on weekends. We'd planned a boozy night out anyway so The George seemed ideal for us!

Staff were very welcoming on our arrival and we were told we had "the nicest room". Overall I was pleased with the room - it was very dated but it was clean and absolutely HUGE!!! The bed was massive and very comfortable. The bathroom again was old fashioned but it was clean with plenty of towels.

My main issue with this hotel was the noise! Admittedly we were warned about the noise levels till 1am because there was a live DJ and in fact we drunk at the pub downstairs still stop tap and were the last 2 people there but unfortunately the noise carried on outside the hotel directly under our windows (not double glazed so completely ineffective at keeping the noise out). A group of boys, one of which I am 99% sure was a staff member, hung around the pub doorway till 3:30am at least and did nothing but shout and scream!!! Then, as if I wasn't kept awake late enough, the pedestrian crossing outside the hotel made a continuous high pitched beeping noise from 7am till we checked out at 10am! I appreciate this is not the hotel's fault but after a sleepless night and a hangover, I couldn't wait to get out of there!!! The floorboards in the next room were horrendously squeaky too!

Personally I think 10am check out time is too early - especially on weekends and I would have liked to have been given the option to have a later check out. We missed breakfast so can't comment on that.

Another slight issue I had was with the lady bouncer! She herded us from place to place to smoke and when I told her we were residents she didn't believe us! She approached a very drunk staff member (the very staff member who kept me awake till 3:30am), come back over to us and said "according to him you're not staying here!" I was about to show her our keys but he come over and reassured her we were residents!!!

Overall the hotel is okay! It's clean, very welcoming and excellent value for money, but for me the lack of sleep totally ruined my stay. My partner said he would definitely stay there again but he could sleep through Hurricane Katrina!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sianWCardiff
chepstow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

the building is an old coach house sadly that is all it has going for it.
the tables are sticky even first thing the floor/carpet is black on the many walk way to say black isn't true as it is caked in muck, when sat at our table the lamp shad was defaced inside and full of swear words. the place was dirty and the food was of low standard and cold.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sj e

Travelers are raving about these Chepstow hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed a couple of weeks ago and although the reviews made us apprehensive I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The inside of the pub I will agree is tired and dated but from talking to the staff the place is getting a full refit next month. The room we stayed in had double glazed windows so no noise from outside and even though the pub downstairs was packed with Saturday night revellers we had no issues with noise.
The staff are very friendly and the breakfast in the morning was lovely.. set us up for the day anyway.

For the money even how the place is now (and although it was a bit tired it wasnt that bad) I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: go top floor
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 840TheWearyTraveller
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Stayed for 1 night recently over bank holiday weekend.We only paid £20 for a room only basis, so didnt expect much. Check in times are enforced rigidly, which was a bit of a pain on a wet afternoon when you just want to dump your cases. The hotel itself is a bar/club (and a rather skanky one at that).If I say it makes Wetherspoons look posh, you'll get the idea. Rooms are dated and scruffy- 'basic' would have been an upgrade.

We knew when we booked that the room was over a bar and therefore would be noisy, which was fine. What we didnt know was that our room would be next to the ladies toilets and that every time someone went to the toilet the flushing of the chain/hand dryer could be heard loudly. Luckily, we asked to move rooms and the manager was very helpful and accommodating.

Even given the ridiculously cheap price of the room, I would never return her.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

I arrived here after walking 180 miles in 6 days down the Offa's Dyke trail, so by the time i arrived i was vey tired and grubby. I mention this as i think it impacts on what i have to say.

The entrance (a pub) is pretty grubby to say the least, the carpet suffering from severe wear and lack of TLC. Check in was relatively painless, despite the auite brusque manner of the receptionist (barman).

The room was ok: big and spacious, but seriously grubby carpet and bathroom lino. Despite that, the beds and the bathroom furniture seemed clean enough.

As people have mentioned below, it gets VERY loud on a Sat night, especially as many rooms are directly above the pub dancefloor.

Verdict: given the cheap price (£40) and the fact i was physically wrecked, many of the negative points above didn't bother me. If I had been in 'discerning traveller' mode, i suspect my review would have been slightly different!!

Wrexham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

Room big, clean and tidy, stayed 2 nights £40 b&b per night per room.
Towels were changed and room cleaned next morning.
Breakfast was good and staff friendly.
Food and drinks in the bar excellent value. The bar itself needs upgrading a bit dirty!
Our room was too hot and the floorboards in the room next door were vary squeaky so we found it hard to sleep, over all good budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chepstow
Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow
#5 of 15 in Chepstow
Two Rivers
Two Rivers
#4 of 15 in Chepstow

Been to The George Hotel Chepstow? Share your experiences!