“GOOD FOOD”

Indian Empire Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 66 Restaurants in Chepstow
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This restaurant is listed on google.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“GOOD FOOD”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I like this restaurant, I love the tiffens you can buy to have a take away with. Fantastic food and very very tasty.

• Visited January 2013

Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff and great food.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have been coming to this restaurant for the last four years. The staff are magnificent, they enter into conversation and are more than willing to have a joke with you, this despite my southern accent which they find hard to understand. It does get busy and at times you have to wait awhile, but this is because the food is fresh. Take your pick go somewhere that just microwaves it or somewhere like this that actually cooks your meal. I have read those who say that the waiters are surly, from my experience they only get this way with idiots who do not understand that this is not the usual indian where you turn up drunk and abuse the waiters it is a restaurant for families and decent people. Talk to them and they happy talk back. The food is excellent and I have never witnessed anyone who has complained. Oh by the way my wofe and I also drive 50 miles to go there and pass a lot of other places on the way, thats how good it is.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank George S
“Excellent food, friendly staff, reasonable price; what more could you want?”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food, friendly staff, reasonable price; what more could you want? Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Chepstow, United Kingdom
“Same old issues, just on a different night and several years later...”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Well, I think it's worth getting to the points straight away.

1. Although I can understand that flies exist, and that they occur in daily life, I've never seen so many in a single restaurant at any given moment... I counted at least 15 over two lamp shades, and although this may not seem a lot for some people, they were bluebottle flies, which come from, you guessed it, maggots!! Clearly something you don't want in a restaurant!

2. Cold starters. It wasn't what I'd call even mildly busy tonight, with many tables empty, so I don't understand why starters should come out stone cold. As much as I made eye-contact with a member of staff, they seemed unconcerned when I tried to usher them over, as if they knew something was already wrong. Any other time they couldn't be happier to help, and if anything, seemed to be pestering us once our mains had arrived. It appeared that they didn't have the knowledge of what each other was doing when serving the customers, as different people came up repeatedly in a short space of time.

3. Costly!! The bill for a group of people such as we had tonight in restaurants in chepstow wouldn't have been 3/4 of what we paid tonight, and for what? A generally ok meal which wasn't even particularly close to the description on the menu. I ordered a Madras thinking it would have some sort of heat or spice to it, when it arrived it had the heat rating of a korma; surely if I want a medium-hot curry I want some sort of spice to it!!

4. You'll be glad to hear, by now, that this is the last major point, toilets. I've not been to a restaurant in the last ten years with a toilet as dirty and cold as these. I thought that this restaurant would've changed over the last three years, but I was sadly mistaken!

My advice, until the restaurant sees these issues for themselves and decides to take action, I would not recommend it to a friend, let alone go back myself, funnily enough exactly what I said two years ago! People wonder why the Indian empire has not won awards since 2007, well today I present the evidence. Back in 2007 I used to love going to them, but since then it's gone down and down and down, I can't see a recovery myself! You can go see for yourself, but I wouldn't blame you for not going!

• Visited February 2013
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“Downhill.”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We've been going here for years and have noticed it going downhill for a long time. The food is still OK but the service can be very slow and the staff can be quite unfriendly. The toilets are an absolute disgrace, freezing cold and filthy dirty. There are far better Indian restaurants in Chepstow now, very sad because this one used to be one of the best.

Visited October 2012