St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
  • Restaurant
Two Rivers(Chepstow)
  • Restaurant
1,393 results
All reviewsgolf coursezest restaurantlakeside villagemain buildingbeautiful hotelleisure facilitiestrophy barplay golfsteam roompro shopmanor housejunior suitedriving rangeround of golfcentury manorgolf breakbeautiful grounds
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed here needing some r and r and chose a marriott specifically for the comfort of the beds. When we checked in we were allocated a room in the older part of the hotel. It had a lovely view but only a queen size bed. As we intended to spend a lot of time in the room we asked for a king. None were available unless we upgraded to a suite. Given how tired we were we paid up and went to our room in the Lakeside Village (a strange collection of new builds like a housing estate of starter homes, five minutes walk from main hotel). The suite was large and had the big bed. But on sitting down in the bed it was clear that this was not the usual standard of bed. The mattress was old, stained and with a hole in it. We called housekeeping who were fantastic (Lynette, thank you). They changed the mattress and it was better but still older than I have seen in a marriott. The robes (when we eventually got them) were very well worn and mis coloured with age. The bathroom in the suite was in SERIOUS need of upgrading. Old fashioned tiles, mismatching where broken ones had been replaced, grout was clean but had been replaced several times and mould on the blind of the window. We complained and the upgrade fee was refunded. We were then able to relax and we cannot praise the staff highly enough. We ate in Morgans which was excellent and sat by the log fire in the lovely old building of the hotel. Breakfast was seriously good. The Marriott management need to understand what a gem of a hotel and team of staff they have here and spend some money on upgrading the rooms and mattresses. Then it would be five stars"

Room Tip: Make sure you stipulate a king size if that is what you want
1  Thank mcds11
StPierreMarriott, Exec Office at St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback. Delighted our staff made you feel so welcome. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We went for our wedding anniversary and they did everything to make things special. We upgraded to a suite for a very reasonable price and this was excellent. The staff were attentive and reacted immediately if we asked for anything. I can really recommend having a stay here.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for the great comments. Hope we see you again soon [hopefully before your next anniversary!]

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We arrived to find that the route to reception was blocked off - eventually we parked on yellow lines by a sign for a walking route to reception, unloaded the bags while my wife moved on to the car park. On entering the main entrance it was clear why the route was blocked off - I was in the middle of a wedding reception and couldn't find the check in desk. Eventually I spotted it across the crowded area. The room wasn't ready. I could check in my bags and sit in the bar! We sat in the bar and went twice more to check in to be turned away. My expectation of a country club is of a quiet and sedate place - this was more like a rugby club - raucous and noisy - not at all like golf clubs I've been in. Eventually the check in clerk aware of my displeasure came to me in the bar to announce it was ready - well after 4 pm and after a wait of almost an hour.
Then we found out we were in a sort of bungalow away from the main hotel down a hill; we then had to retrieve the bags, my wife went to collect the car I retraced my steps to the double yellow lines (in the rain) and we drove to the bungalow.
We used my car to go to the pool - which was old and tired and in need of refurbishment.
We discovered after reading the room information book carefully that there was a buggy service up to the main hotel for dinner. Dinner was good - the Standard expected at a Marriott (I stay at Marriotts regularly). Martinis were rather weak, more like 1 part gin to one part vermouth rather than 5 to 1. Service there was excellent. Then the trip back in the buggy which although it has a roof is no protection from driving rain.
The room was tired and there was a smell of damp in the hallway of the bungalow. The bed was splendid.
Rather than use the buggy we drove to breakfast in the car. Breakfast was the usual buffet to be found in most hotels - fried egg was rather long on the warming plate - others have noted the poor hash browns with which I concur.
This was by no means up to Marriott's usual standard and I will not consider spending another stay there.

Room Tip: Don't go for a lakeside room if the weather is bad or you have difficulty walking up a hill. Don't take your luggage to check in, wait till you find out where your room is. Don't stay if you're not there for the golf.
4  Thank LynLancaster
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Went for a golf break to St. Pierre and had a great time, the hotel is excellent and the staff were attentive and helpful. Had a great evening meal which was real value for money, we all had the rib eye steak which was cooked to perfection and three bottles of a little pricey but very good Malbec. The room was a little small but perfectly fine for a golf break, the only problem was that the radiatiors were off and the room was boiling hot and not just mine. Everyone on our trip had rooms that were way too hot and the only answer was to oopen the windows as it rained stair rods outside.

Great golf but a slightly pricey bar (£4.40 for a Guinness) and a locker room that had clearly seen better days. In all fairness these were the only two problems, will be returning in the Summer and hopefully the room temperatures will be more appropriate.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Marriott S, Exec Office at St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thanks very much for your feedback. We'll get our Engineers to check the heating, although we might be glad it works so well in a month or two!

Look forward to seeing you again before too long.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I won an "afternoon tea for two" voucher and took my partner along this past weekend. We were taken into what looked like a function room called Morgans - it has the most awful carpet on the floor in mustard and lime green and there was one other table of ladies in there and just us. It was the most depressing room - afternoon tea should be served by the fireplace or in one of the many lounges but not a function room that was laid up for dinner! Quality of the food was just awful and very bland. The few sandwiches we had were squashed onto the top tier of the cake stand and we have a 3 scones with jam and cream on the second tier followed by what I can only describe as defrosted food from Iceland on the bottom tier. A slice of fruit cake, an éclair and a fruit tart doesn't quite cut it for afternoon tea. I have had some fabulous tea's elsewhere and this was the worst by far. We were asked upon arrival if we wanted some water which we said ok thinking that was a bit weird and then got heavily charted for a bottle (£4.30) when we left. As you drive through the grounds of St Pierre it was very nice but that was about it. I will never return to St Pierre and I will not be recommending it. No wonder they are giving vouchers out for free!

9  Thank Leeca69