“Stunning”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chepstow
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Stunning”
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Superb hotel, stunning location with first class service, lunch menu was limited but exceptional, Vine Restaurant was slow service but food was outstanding beer prices as expected were on the high side and breakfast was first class. Remember you get what you pay for so paying slightly over for a beer doesn’t concern me in the slightest hen the service you receive in this luxurious hotel is fits class. Would I recommend it??? You bet I would!!!

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank thechiefy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Bristol
Reviewed February 29, 2008

To echo what has been said before, this is a lovely hotel, the main part is a lovely old building, very grand, with gorgeous courtyard rooms (try and stay in a ground floor one if you can, they are nicely furnished, and bigger than the first floor rooms).

I did originally ask for a smoking room - don't!! It was poky and tucked away in one of the more bland new annexes. The courtyard rooms have their own entrances so very convenient if you are a smoker.

The setting is very gold orientated I imagine if you are a golfer your would love it! I was there on business so didn't use the leisure facilities (I was going to use the pool but it is quite small and a bit too many children for my liking). The conference facilites are great, we were well looked after and the food was lovely.

The staff are so helpful and all really nice and friendly, in fact one of the nicest hotels for staff that I have ever stayed in.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank Monkeyno9
London
Reviewed February 28, 2008

Really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were nice and clean, the pool and spa area were nice, although quite busy with children (we were there during the weekend). The restaurants were both fab! The Orangery was fine dining, expect to pay around 100 pounds for a meal for two there with wine, but totally worth it!
Breakfast was lovely and the bar was fine. The other restaurant is also very nice, the soup is fantastic.
Staff were so lovely here! Really nice, really pleased with everything.

1 Thank strawbethy
London
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Lovely weekend away! The renovated rooms are a little cheaply done but the rest of the hotel was beautiful. The breakfast is fantastic.

1 Thank Sallie78
Newport
Reviewed February 17, 2008

My boyfriend decided to take me away for the night for a valentines day treat. Thehotel was gorgeous, much better than i thought. On arrival the staff were plesant and polite. Watch out for the bar though the drinks are a bit pricey so we smuggled in our own champagne.. it went unoticed and the bar were more than happy for us to have a champagne bucket and glasses. The bedroom and bathroom was a bit small but very clean and sparkling like new. The bed was very comfy and the room had facilities like a t.v, a kettle, mini bar and a hairdryer with all the normal bathroom freebies thrown in. Watch out for the mini bar though, don't remove or move anything otherwise fridge sensors will automatically bill you for the fridge stuff. The reception was manned 24hrs which was good as we phoned them to ask them about random stuff and they were quite helpful. Breakfast in the moprning was amazing, everything that you could want for breakfast was there, all very gorgeous.

• Liked — it was gorgeous
  • Disliked — Pricey
Exeter
Reviewed February 13, 2008

My boyfriend and I have stayed there numerous times and it's absolutely fantastic. The restaurant is great and the breakfast is wonderful too. It is just so relaxing and a great place to have a weekend away!

• Liked — Great rooms, really confortable beds and fantastic views.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Falkirk
Reviewed January 21, 2008

I stayed here for days in early January with business friends. This is a great hotel . We all stayed in great rooms in the courtyard which are named after flowers. The men didn't appreciate staying in "Snowdrop" and "Daisy" etc but the rooms are beautiful albeit a bit on the small-ish side. The food in the hotel is fabulous too. We ate in Zest on the first evening which was more informal, then in the Orangery on the second night. The meal in the latter was exceptional and not too expensive.

We were well looked after the entire time and the catering for our meetings was incredible too, beautiful home made cakes, pastries, warm muffins, hot from the oven chocolate cookies plus hot bacon rolls.

Great service from the staff everywhere also.

One wee niggle was that both mornings, I got a random newspaper instead of the one I'd asked for - the Mirror one day and The Times the next. But as I never had the chance to read either of them, I wasn't too bothered.

Oh, be careful when opening the mini bar in your room. I noticed that there were bottles of red wine and tubs of Pringles strategically placed on the top of the mini bar. I travel extensively enough to know not to move anything in a minibar as you get charged even if you're just having a look so, I carefully removed a bottle of water but not carefully enough as on checkout, I was being invoiced for not only the water but also two bottles of wine and the Pringles.

It was all sorted out when I left but I hate the way these mini bars operate because I always get the impression that people think I'm lying.

Anyway, I digress... This is a lovely hotel, can't fault it in any way and I'd definitely go back.

• Liked — Lovely rooms and amazing food
  • Disliked — The minibar that told lies about me
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Cazzers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chepstow
Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow
The First Hurdle Guest House
Best Western Royal George Hotel
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
Hampton by Hilton Newport East
De Vere Tortworth Court
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 1 in Tortworth

Been to St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!