“Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.”

Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Chepstow
Reviewed December 2, 2012

First lets deal with the reception staff and bar tender as these are the only qualities I found to recommend this hotel, they were friendly and helpful. True Ambassadors for this lovely town, thank you.

We booked to stay two nights to avoid what we thought were silly prices in Cardiff when we went to the Wales/All Blacks international. Value is a relative term as this still cost us £138.00 for two nights room only. By modern standards this is not expensive, but it's pricey enough that you expect a decent minimum.

I cannot comment on the food, we did not eat at the Hotel.

We stayed in Room 6A.The main staircase leading upsrairs to our room smells of damp, and did for the duration of our visit, apart from a short period on the first morning when the cleaners spayed stong air freshener.

The door to our room was ill fitting and light from the corridor could be clearly seen around it's edges at night. We think we adjoined a conference room and could clearly here normal conversational voices in our room when we first arrived.

The bed was comfortable but the room was cheap B&B standard. The water pipes were exposed and ugly and the electrical sockets were supplied via an extension lead attached to the wall below the tea tray shelf (See photographs).

We slept well on the first night. On the second night there was no chance of sleep as the noise from the pub bar below was as clear as a bell. It was a nice enough bar, we had a drink there ourselves. It was well behaved and not particularly rowdy, but a bar is a bar, and the nights festivities are clearly audilble from room 6A.

Once the bar had closed we were treated to the loud snoring from a nearby room, sound travels easily in this hotel and we did not sleep well.

Hindsight is a great thing. This is the first booking we have made without checking trip advisor for years, lesson learned.

To conclude. In my opinion the smell of damp and cheapness of the rooms, added to the non existant soundproofing and lack of breakfast do not justify the £69.00 per night price tag. Added to that if you with to borrow a front door key you will pay a £20.00 deposit and yes, the staff do seems to spend an awful lot of their time smoking in the car park.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BobTheCollie
There are newer reviews for Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here last Saturday en route to Rugby in Cardiff. Was made very welcome and enjoyed my stay. Free car parking, excellent bar with good beers and first class breakfast. Has been run by same family for twenty years. Restaurant busy, although I chose excellent Indian around corner - Mughal Spice. Room a bit small and TV not working, but in the circumstances, not a worry for me. Would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here for one night on business. Staff busy having a smoke outside front entrance, no reception when I arrived. One of the regulars had to call one of the waitresses to give me key to my room, all too busy with their regulars/dining room guests and not their residents. Was not given any information about the hotel just handed a key and told where to go. On arriving at my room, was appalled at the state of it, many people would say what do you expect for £50 a night?! I expect a decent room which has a TV that works and that has hot water in the morning for a shower - neither of which my room had. On complaining to reception I was told that I would have to move rooms but declined this offer as I had already unpacked so was told somebody would come up and fiddle around with the signal, nobody appeared. On departing I had to wait for somebody to arrive before I could check out, and was then not even asked how my stay was.
Will certaily not be recommending this hotel to anybody!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Clive8389
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed one night in central Cardiff and a second 'in the sticks'. Couldn't have chosen better. If you are looking for a reliable corporate chain hotel, this may not suit.....if your into character, then the hotel and the town are just fine.
Service was really good, they wanted to please. Food in the restaurant was very good, and plentiful. Room was good given the peculiarities of this ancient building, and everything was clean. The bar was a delight, clearly popular with locals, and serving great beer, you feel it's a very friendly place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank r.parker99
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Called in for lunch on this, our first visit. Our whole experience was very pleasant.
The food was excellent value, high quality, and I could not fault the 3-courses which we had.
This place provides a great benchmark, which every restaurant in the country would do well to use as a prime example of customer satisfaction.
Well done to ALL the staff!

H & D Cox

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Paid £69 per night for a revolting double room,15. Small, cheap ancient furniture, dirty old side chair, thin grubby duvet covered in a sheet cover only. tatty bathroom, light fitting dangerous, shower pathetic. strong smell of air freshener - covering up smell of damp. On arrival, chef smoking outside back door of kitchen in full view with chefs whites.. friendly staff but quite apathetic... the only up side is the fantastic location in a fantastic town. The Balti restaurant opposite is amazing! Love Chepstow but really disliked this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Corrine45
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I recently stayed at the Beaufort Hotel for a period of 10 weeks, whilst working in Monmouthshire. The hotel was very comfortable, my room 1A was clean, comfortable and quiet. I had everything I needed including free WiFi, the staff were welcoming, friendly and always willing to assist. I really enjoyed the food - it was lovely and good value too! Also good selection of wine. I will definitely be returning!

Debbie W

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel appear to be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chepstow
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#11 of 14 in Chepstow
Castle View
Castle View
#5 of 14 in Chepstow

Been to Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow? Share your experiences!