“Lunch at the Beaufort”

Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Chepstow
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Called in for lunch on this, our first visit. Our whole experience was very pleasant.
The food was excellent value, high quality, and I could not fault the 3-courses which we had.
This place provides a great benchmark, which every restaurant in the country would do well to use as a prime example of customer satisfaction.
Well done to ALL the staff!

H & D Cox

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Paid £69 per night for a revolting double room,15. Small, cheap ancient furniture, dirty old side chair, thin grubby duvet covered in a sheet cover only. tatty bathroom, light fitting dangerous, shower pathetic. strong smell of air freshener - covering up smell of damp. On arrival, chef smoking outside back door of kitchen in full view with chefs whites.. friendly staff but quite apathetic... the only up side is the fantastic location in a fantastic town. The Balti restaurant opposite is amazing! Love Chepstow but really disliked this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Corrine45
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I recently stayed at the Beaufort Hotel for a period of 10 weeks, whilst working in Monmouthshire. The hotel was very comfortable, my room 1A was clean, comfortable and quiet. I had everything I needed including free WiFi, the staff were welcoming, friendly and always willing to assist. I really enjoyed the food - it was lovely and good value too! Also good selection of wine. I will definitely be returning!

Debbie W

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel appear to be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed for 1 night on business. Called in the morning to see if I could drop bags off at lunchtime be told that room was ready so no problem which was a nice touch. Staff really friendly room 6a clean with very comfortable bed so had a great nights sleep. Other reviews state about the walls being thin and that you can hear other guests well I found it quite the opposite very quiet and no issues what so ever. Didn't eat there in the evening but menu looked good and well priced. Breakfast excellent served with a smile and in super quick time. Real town centre location if you want to be in the heart of things. Summary : Give it a go you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Having recently had very poor relations with the management at Beaufort hotel, I feel obliged to share my experiences, having used trip advisor to book the hotel for a large group attending a wedding in chepstow in the first place.

I stayed in room 12 at the rear of the hotel, the room was exceptionally damp, although when returning from the wedding in the early hours there wasn't much I could do about this at the time. On hear that some of the rest of my party caused some noise and disturbance when they arrived home (which was well handled by the manager), I decided not to complain about the damp in the morning and left happy enough with the friendly service and good breakfast, even if it was very slow (45 mins) in arriving.

However, on arriving home I realised I had a large number of insect bites on my arms, face, neck and torso. As a Doctor, I instantly recognised these linear bite tracks as developing flea bites and quickly called the hotel to inform them so action could be taken in the interests of future guests. I was told I would be called by the owner in the morning, but my contact number wasn't taken, nor the room number or bed I stayed in. Another call back to the hotel expressed my concerns it wasn't being handled seriously, but apparently the hotel manager was incapable of managing such a potential serious environmental health scare, and I was told the owner would call me first thing the next day. Unfortunately, the owner also didn't consider this issue important, and didn't call back - I therefore called the environmental health agency. When I called the hotel again (4th time) next afternoon I was greeted with an out and out hostile and defensive attitude from the owner, who seemed to think I was out to simply give the hotel a bad name and avoid paying (I had already paid).

By this point I had nearly 100 bites that had developed on my upper body. I was unable to attend work on the monday due to the pain and appearance (not a good look for a doctor working in a hospital). A dermatology colleague confirmed that the symptoms, appearance and onset did indeed fit with flea bites, originating from the time around the hotel stay).

It is important to note that 24 hours after reporting to the hotel, the environmental health agency found no evidence of bed bugs/fleas. They did confirm the damp issue, and I am informed the hotel s now taking steps to address this. I remain convinced my bite problems originated from that hotel room.

My main concerns on finding my bites were preventing the same happening to other guests, not a refund (I only asked for that out of principal). Had the hotel addressed this with the seriousness and apologised I would expect, I would have had no qualms with them. The only reason I am posting this now is because of the way the owner and management have handled the situation. I have been (very reluctantly) offered a refund of £20 (£69 paid for the room) by the owner, whilst trying to explain how this was a rather an insult, I was promptly cut off mid sentence and handed to a junior member of staff who could not 'comment'.

I personally would never return there due my experiences of the damp and flea bites, but I recommend others to avoid the place too - and this is largely due to the appalling customer service, including implying I was lying, not returning calls as promised, and general rudeness and hostile-defensive attitude.

Room Tip: avoid ones at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank flea_bitten12
mcvc, Owner at Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

This review is clearly libelous. It is also totally incorrect. The lady in question attended a wedding at another venue. The following morning she ate breakfast, paid her bill and left. At lunch time she phoned to say that she had been bitten by bed bugs or fleas or both and she demanded a refund and compensation. She phoned a number of times as I was not present and spoke to a range of reception staff. I spoke to her late afternoon that day and assured her that we have never had any problems with fleas or bed bugs. She threatened me with the environmental health department and indeed two Representative's of this body arrived first thing the following morning .They examined the room, the bed and the bedding and found NO evidence of fleas or bed bugs. I subsequently arranged for a pest control company to come that day to conduct a investigation. Having spent a hour in the room removing the headboard and opening up the mattress the inspector found no evidence whatsoever of fleas or bed bugs. (Please see a copy on the Inspection report in our photographs). We forwarded a copy to the environmental health department. Approximately 40 people stayed at The Beaufort on the Saturday night in question including someone who shared her room. We received no complaint of any kind from anyone else!
I will be discussing this review with my solicitor with a view to taking legal action against this lady.
Michael Collins Proprietor

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Right in the heart of Chepstow it is a great location. Staff very friendly and helpful. (Chantelle deserves a special mention). Breakfast delicious and as I am vegetarian they offered lots of alternatives that were not on the menu. Room adequate. Will definitely stay there again, really good value all in all.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in August 2012, the staff was friendly but the room was a bit tired. The bed had seen better days, it felt like the springs could come through the mattress and the shower didn't work properly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chepstow
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#3 of 14 in Chepstow
Coach and Horses Inn
Coach and Horses Inn
#7 of 14 in Chepstow

Been to Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow? Share your experiences!