“Great Meeting Place”

The Boat Inn
Ranked #21 of 70 Restaurants in Chepstow
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a local pub in the heart of Chepstow town. We overlook the beautiful River Wye. All our food is freshly prepared and cooked to order and we pride ourselves on personal customer service. Our bar is fully stocked including three different ales, including local artisan suppliers to support local trade wherever possible. We also have our own Coffee shop (The Coffee Boat) providing luxury tea's, coffee's and cakes.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Frequent visitor to this warm friendly, riverbank pub. Beer selection good. Friendly, helpful and efficient bar staff and waiting staff. Food good, probably the best steaks and burgers in town. Cosy Snug with comfy sofas and log fire. Sunday lunches are excellent and very well priced. Big screen TV for special matches and home internationals, children and dogs welcome - truly family friendly pub.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was not our first choice as we visited Chepstow Castle as the pub we had aimed for was closed .We can honestly say that the meal was one of the best sunday luches we have had for a very long time.Good service which was a little over twenty minutes arriving but considering the popularity was quick.Both the beef and lamb was superb as was the vegetables and the service with a smile.Get there early if you can and take in the atmosphere.Value for Money is unbelievable with Lamb at £9-00 normally not on the menu because of the cost However leave a space for the puddings if you can manage it.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Still a great drink food location venue but somthings up when you sit diwn at empty tables for early evening meal and tables are covered in food spillage from lunch!

Somebody cares about the boat because its great in many ways but some staff must be indifferent to ignore mucky tables all arvo.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Here in Chepstow on a work trip staying over, checked out tripadvisor to find a good Pub food type eatery. As this was one of the highest rated on here thought I'd give it a go. Lovely lady behind the bar who welcomed me in, was seated upstairs and greeted by a cheerful young waitress. I asked if the pâté was homemade and was told it was so ordered that, then went for rump and chunky chips with pepper sauce. Pâté came out and was not homemade and was not to my taste but to be fair I was half expecting it not to be homemade as the description of it was very vague. On to my steak, cooked perfect however had at least a 5 min wait on my pepper sauce so all my chips were cold by the time it arrived. The chips were a real let down, I know this is pub food but there are a lot better chips out there than what they are advertising as chunky chips, they were flat skinny ones like you would get by buying cheap own brand type. Overall the pub seemed nice, the staff were nice, the steak was nice, the pepper sauce I did not put on my steak as was not good at all (probably rushed as it was forgotten about). I don't like writing bad reviews but niggly things like this would put me off coming back. I also had to go back downstairs after I had been served my food to get my own salt and vinegar (strange), maybe waitress forgot to ask me? She was very nice just in experienced I would say. Other reviews suggest that maybe I was a little unlucky so please don't let me put you off but I hope the constructive criticism is taken on board particularly the chips as would imagine these are always served as chunky chips?

3  Thank Broomie1977
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Waited five minutes at the bar as there was only one member of staff running the bar and taking the lunch orders, only to be told that Sunday Lunch was by bookings only, however we could choose anything on the bar menu. Re-selected our meals, re-joined the wait at the bar, finally got served again, only to be informed that all the pies, burgers and something else (cant remember what) was off the menu. Eventually chose scampi and chips and steak. Food finally arrived and was very mediocre. Side salad was a few leaves drenched in vinaigrette, chips were cold, the scampi tasted like it had come straight out of the bag into the fryer. Waitress who served us said the cutlery and condiments were by the door and to help ourselves. Almost every salt/pepper sauce bottle was empty or almost empty. Staff friendly, particularly the poor bar man, but will not be visiting The Boat again, and I don't think they really care if we do or not!

1  Thank sheila r r