Atholl Arms Hotel
Kinloch House(Blairgowrie)
Tayside Hotel(Stanley)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Bridge of Cally Hotel(Bridge of Cally)
  • Restaurant
East Haugh House(Pitlochry)
Royal Hotel(Blairgowrie)
Angus Hotel(Blairgowrie)
View Hotel
All reviewsriverview restaurantmeeting placevegan menua river view roomvenison burgerdog friendly hotellounge areafamily weddinghotel barscottish hotelno liftbanks of the riverfood was lovelyshort staydining roomscottish breakfastlarge room
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed here after white water rafting in the area. Arrived cold and tired after being dunked in the Tay and instantly fell warmer and relaxed when walked in the door. The gentleman who checked us in was very welcoming, friendly and efficient.
Our rooms were pointlessly clean, beautifully decorated and very stylish while complimenting the old building, rooms were a bit cold but soon heated up after we switched the heater on. The only complaint we have is the small towel rail struggles to heat the huge bathroom.
We decided to eat in the bistro and were pleasantly surprised, far from it being the usual pub grub the food was freshly prepared and cooked to perfection, all four of us agreed on our meal being one of the best we have ever had. Breakfast didn't disappoint and was just as delicious as our dinner.
We didn't see a lot of staff as the hotel has only just reopened after having some work done but the few we did meet were friendly, helpful and happy to have a chat.
We will definitely be back shortly, worth the 90 minute drive just for the food alone.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kels_100
Christine S, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We have just re-opened after renovations for three weeks. The main focus was the windows being restrung and sills all being plastered, etc. Keeping the heat in is a challenge with these large bathrooms and we will be replacing the heaters throughout the year to make them more efficient. Several have been done already.
Glad to hear that your meal was the best you have ever had. Did you know we offer a "slow food" tasting menu once a month, every first Thursday, 4/5 courses using locally resourced ingredients.
Booking is highly recommended by calling the hotel. ( this starts again in March)
You lovely comments about the staff are noted and shared. We are all back from holidays now!
Thanks again for a great review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Warmest Regards,

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I visited late last year, and spent a day in Dunkeld. As I entered the hotel, I felt very comfortable. The lounge area, where I spent a few hours just enjoying a pint and relaxing with some company, was very inviting. I was very impressed with the burger I had for lunch. I was given great sized portions and the meal was cooked exactly to my liking. The staff I encountered was very welcoming and seemed very knowledgeable about the area. You can walk right out the front door down to a great view of the water that flows under a very visually appealing bridge entering Dunkeld. Great photo opportunity! The most memorable part of the hotel, however, was the staffs' willingness to make accommodations for an afternoon of clay pigeon shooting nearby. They handled everything and all I had to do was show up. There was even a discounted rate for the hotel! It definitely was one of the highlights of my trip.
I will be back to visit next time I am in Scotland for sure.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. It's always nice to hear you enjoyed your visit to Scotland and that you will be returning again for another adventure.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can help you with. It's always best to book your room directly either with an email or phone call.
We will continue to post on our facebook page with all the activities throughout Perthshire so you won't miss anything that may be of interest to you.
Thank you again for a lovely review, we all look forward to seeing you again soon.
Warmest Regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have been staying at the Atholl Arms in Dunkeld for a good few years now; it is somewhere I absolutely fell in love with the first time I stayed there! It was homely, friendly, clean and in an absolutely superb location in a such a lovely place. I liked it so much that it has become a bit of a tradition to stay there over the Winter holiday of each year to get away from it all and chill out.

My recent visit there was full of the same intentions however this time, the whole experience just didn't sit well at all. The room we were allocated we had stayed in before however, it looked a lot more run down than the last time and the bed was pretty much broken, to the point of developing neck, back and shoulder pain throughout each day of staying there. We were assured it was going to be 'looked at' however, no apology was made when we mentioned it. The overall service wasn't as warm and friendly as at previous visits and there seemed to be a huge shortage of staff to cover the large number of patrons there. Breakfast was always my favourite pasrt of this stay and I have to say, the taste of it was still fantastic however, the service was very cold, it took an inordinate amount of time for breakfast to be delivered and the restaurant area wasn't kept 'on top of'.

It was really disappointing considering we had already had a good experience before. We payed £89.00 per night for the room; I can honestly say that I have had better experiences at a far cheaper Premier Inn in terms of friendly staff, a comfortable bed and cleanliness. I know I will stay here again however it will be out of sheer convenience as opposed to choosing it as that somewhere special to go with family or friends to relax. It's a real shame and hopefully they can turn it around for the better however, I'll unfortunately be find a new hotel to service the tradition until then.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lynzymoutter
Christine S, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Hello lynzymoutter. I would like to mention that at the moment the hotel is closed and under construction. All the staff are taking their annual leave however, I have spoken to management to try and understand in more depth, the severity of all your concerns.
Your comments about having neck pain obviously concerns me greatly and at this point I would like to ask you to email me at the hotel address to find out more on this matter. What room were you in? We are decorating some rooms and new beds are arriving on Monday. We have had no other complaints about this.
I do realise that you have a choice of stay while in Dunkeld and we would hate to loose your custom. I am sure, if you send me an email we can discuss all the other issues further. Please subject matter attention owner.
Regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Arrived late probably around 6 into dunked small cosy place although not much in the area. Lovely river across from the hotel overall a nice location to stay and relax. Greeted at the hotel and when I said my surname the receptionist said oh We thought you weren't coming. So when she showed us to the room the heating in there was not on it was freezing I assume they didn't put the heating on as they assumed I wasn't coming so sat in the bed with my partner with our body Warmers on under the duvet - not exaggerating! The heater was electric and too ages to heat up. The room was very old fashioned looking not resembling the price we payed. But it was clean. Downstairs Has a nice log fire which we spent most of our time playing cards because it was so warm. As when the cleaner cleaned our room the morning after the heater was switched back off when we come back in early afternoon from being out shopping it was freezing once again. I enjoyed my sleep although the mattress at my partners side of the bed was sloped, happy that I picked my side. The younger man who I think owns the hotel was quite sarcastic and not a lot of time for complaints. Fair enough. On the Sunday morning at 8 they had a fire alarm test - lovely I wanted to wake up early on my weekend away. It went on for ages to the point I thought it might be a real drill and opened my room door to see if there was other people evacuating to which there was a girl across the hall with her head out the door wandering the same. Poor.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bambi m
Christine S, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Hello and thank you for writing this review. It is clear you did not enjoy your stay and I can only apologise for the misunderstanding about the heating of the room. I would like to make things right by talking to you more about all the other comments. If you would be so kind to email me directly to the hotel email noted " for owners attention" I would appreciate it.
At the moment the hotel is closed until 24rd January.
We were not granted approval from Perthshire council to double glaze the windows so we are having the windows re- strung and re-shaped. Several other renovations are going on as well.
Can I just mention that we have no control over fire drills. We have monthly inspections from our local fire marshall and a schedule that must be followed. If he says this is to be done at 8am then that's what we are to do.
It was nice to hear you enjoyed the lounge and that the cleanliness was satisfactory. I hope to hear back from you soon regarding the other issues you mentioned.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 19, 2013

This hotel is in a great position in Dunkeld and the perfect place to meet friends for lunch, so we chose it. Cool reception from staff and a long, long wait for food despite there only being one other table occupied. The dining room was dark (it was a dull, cold day) and the lights were not switched on until some time after we were seated. Poor service and average food.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cher130
Christine S, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Hello and thank you for sending this review to trip advisor. I am very concerned that you did not receive our full attention on arrival, had a long wait and also that you thought the food was average. Lights should have been switched on right away.
I have had discussions with management and would like to speak to you further on this matter.
Would you be so kind as to email me directly so I can fully understand what went wrong.
This is not the standard we aspire to and more information is sought before we can resolve this.
Kind Regards,