“Great Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I visited late last year, and spent a day in Dunkeld. As I entered the hotel, I felt very comfortable. The lounge area, where I spent a few hours just enjoying a pint and relaxing with some company, was very inviting. I was very impressed with the burger I had for lunch. I was given great sized portions and the meal was cooked exactly to my liking. The staff I encountered was very welcoming and seemed very knowledgeable about the area. You can walk right out the front door down to a great view of the water that flows under a very visually appealing bridge entering Dunkeld. Great photo opportunity! The most memorable part of the hotel, however, was the staffs' willingness to make accommodations for an afternoon of clay pigeon shooting nearby. They handled everything and all I had to do was show up. There was even a discounted rate for the hotel! It definitely was one of the highlights of my trip.
I will be back to visit next time I am in Scotland for sure.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Christine S, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. It's always nice to hear you enjoyed your visit to Scotland and that you will be returning again for another adventure.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can help you with. It's always best to book your room directly either with an email or phone call.
We will continue to post on our facebook page with all the activities throughout Perthshire so you won't miss anything that may be of interest to you.
Thank you again for a lovely review, we all look forward to seeing you again soon.
The Atholl Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have been staying at the Atholl Arms in Dunkeld for a good few years now; it is somewhere I absolutely fell in love with the first time I stayed there! It was homely, friendly, clean and in an absolutely superb location in a such a lovely place. I liked it so much that it has become a bit of a tradition to stay there over the Winter holiday of each year to get away from it all and chill out.

My recent visit there was full of the same intentions however this time, the whole experience just didn't sit well at all. The room we were allocated we had stayed in before however, it looked a lot more run down than the last time and the bed was pretty much broken, to the point of developing neck, back and shoulder pain throughout each day of staying there. We were assured it was going to be 'looked at' however, no apology was made when we mentioned it. The overall service wasn't as warm and friendly as at previous visits and there seemed to be a huge shortage of staff to cover the large number of patrons there. Breakfast was always my favourite pasrt of this stay and I have to say, the taste of it was still fantastic however, the service was very cold, it took an inordinate amount of time for breakfast to be delivered and the restaurant area wasn't kept 'on top of'.

It was really disappointing considering we had already had a good experience before. We payed £89.00 per night for the room; I can honestly say that I have had better experiences at a far cheaper Premier Inn in terms of friendly staff, a comfortable bed and cleanliness. I know I will stay here again however it will be out of sheer convenience as opposed to choosing it as that somewhere special to go with family or friends to relax. It's a real shame and hopefully they can turn it around for the better however, I'll unfortunately be find a new hotel to service the tradition until then.

2 Thank lynzymoutter
Christine S, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Hello lynzymoutter. I would like to mention that at the moment the hotel is closed and under construction. All the staff are taking their annual leave however, I have spoken to management to try and understand in more depth, the severity of all your concerns.
Your comments about having neck pain obviously concerns me greatly and at this point I would like to ask you to email me at the hotel address to find out more on this matter. What room were you in? We are decorating some rooms and new beds are arriving on Monday. We have had no other complaints about this.
I do realise that you have a choice of stay while in Dunkeld and we would hate to loose your custom. I am sure, if you send me an email we can discuss all the other issues further. Please subject matter attention owner.
Regards,
edinburgh
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Arrived late probably around 6 into dunked small cosy place although not much in the area. Lovely river across from the hotel overall a nice location to stay and relax. Greeted at the hotel and when I said my surname the receptionist said oh We thought you weren't coming. So when she showed us to the room the heating in there was not on it was freezing I assume they didn't put the heating on as they assumed I wasn't coming so sat in the bed with my partner with our body Warmers on under the duvet - not exaggerating! The heater was electric and too ages to heat up. The room was very old fashioned looking not resembling the price we payed. But it was clean. Downstairs Has a nice log fire which we spent most of our time playing cards because it was so warm. As when the cleaner cleaned our room the morning after the heater was switched back off when we come back in early afternoon from being out shopping it was freezing once again. I enjoyed my sleep although the mattress at my partners side of the bed was sloped, happy that I picked my side. The younger man who I think owns the hotel was quite sarcastic and not a lot of time for complaints. Fair enough. On the Sunday morning at 8 they had a fire alarm test - lovely I wanted to wake up early on my weekend away. It went on for ages to the point I thought it might be a real drill and opened my room door to see if there was other people evacuating to which there was a girl across the hall with her head out the door wandering the same. Poor.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bambi m
Christine S, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hello and thank you for writing this review. It is clear you did not enjoy your stay and I can only apologise for the misunderstanding about the heating of the room. I would like to make things right by talking to you more about all the other comments. If you would be so kind to email me directly to the hotel email noted " for owners attention" I would appreciate it.
At the moment the hotel is closed until 24rd January.
We were not granted approval from Perthshire council to double glaze the windows so we are having the windows re- strung and re-shaped. Several other renovations are going on as well.
Can I just mention that we have no control over fire drills. We have monthly inspections from our local fire marshall and a schedule that must be followed. If he says this is to be done at 8am then that's what we are to do.
It was nice to hear you enjoyed the lounge and that the cleanliness was satisfactory. I hope to hear back from you soon regarding the other issues you mentioned.
Kind Regards,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

This hotel is in a great position in Dunkeld and the perfect place to meet friends for lunch, so we chose it. Cool reception from staff and a long, long wait for food despite there only being one other table occupied. The dining room was dark (it was a dull, cold day) and the lights were not switched on until some time after we were seated. Poor service and average food.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cher130
Christine S, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Hello and thank you for sending this review to trip advisor. I am very concerned that you did not receive our full attention on arrival, had a long wait and also that you thought the food was average. Lights should have been switched on right away.
I have had discussions with management and would like to speak to you further on this matter.
Would you be so kind as to email me directly so I can fully understand what went wrong.
This is not the standard we aspire to and more information is sought before we can resolve this.
Kind Regards,
The Atholl Team.
Milngavie, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Brilliant hotel, total value for money. Good comfortable rooms, clean, well cared for. Friendly attentive staff. Fantastic breakfast both days too. Centrally located, great views. Really a very excellent place to stay.

The worst possible thing I could say is that the toast was a little on the soggy side, but lets face it, if that was the worst, then it must be rather fab place. Go there again anytime.

1 Thank Wallace1492
Christine S, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Wow, what a brilliant review. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. It is so nice to hear we are doing a fine job in all areas of the hotel. I must agree we do a great job with the breakfasts being cooked to order and the buffet really sets you up for the day. Sorry about your toast being soggy, I hope you mentioned this at the time so we could make more, that would not be a problem.
As you mentioned Dunkeld is centrally located. Just over an hour from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness or Aberdeen you can get away from the city and enjoy the beauty that Perthshire has to offer. Walks along the River then back to the hotel for soup and sandwich by the coal fire.
Please keep in touch via facebook as we will be closing for three weeks in January, just after New Year. This allows us time to do some renovations. Our web site will also have all our specials listed.
Thank you again for this lovely review. We all look forward to seeing you again soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My wife and I returned today (12 December) from a very enjoyable stay in this lovely little Hotel. Our room ( number 17 ) was ENORMOUS with 2 sofas a very comfortable bed and a marble fireplace,and was spotless Check-in was slick and we even had our bag carried up to our room, which was lovely and cosy. We ate in the bistro on our first night and the food was really nice and very inexpensive,On the second night we used the a la carte restaurant and the food and service were fabulous, and cost a fraction of what we are used to paying in Edinburgh. The staff were chatty and friendly without being intrusive.This is a lovely old building so the plumbing was a bit quirky but we were warned of this and once the hot water arrived it was hot and plentiful. I believe the hotel is closing for refurbishment so I guess this will be addressed. This trip was a birthday treat from my wife, but I guess we will not be waiting till next birthday before we return!!

Room Tip: It is worth paying the small extra charge for a river view. We recieved the upgrade F O C
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. Happy belated birthday!
Room 17 is a wonderful suit with it's huge windows looking over to the river, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.
This January we will be decorating room 17 and it will have new furniture. A few other rooms will receive new curtains, beds and carpets. Some rooms will also have new showers fitted....any plumbing job is a challenge in this old building....the list goes on.
It is important to us that we keep the ambiance and respect the age and character while renovating.
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your meals in both the bistro and the restaurant. We are hoping for another informal dining award. This will be announced in April 2014.
Our web site will have all the news and specials listed and we will do postings on facebook while closed so you can see how the rooms are coming along.
Thank you again for a lovely review and we all look forward to seeing you again soon at the Atholl.
The Atholl Team.
Scotland
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We arrived on a cold snowy day to this lovely warm comfortable hotel - what a treat. We were welcomed by friendly pleasant staff. Our room was large, lovely and had a pretty view over the River Tay and the hills in the background. The bed was comfortable, there was a good sized LCD TV and a kettle and tea & coffee - everything we could wish for. Next morning we were last in the dining room for breakfast and the staff had thoughtfully prepared a table which looked out over the river - little touches like that were appreciated. There was a buffet for cold starters as well as porrige on the menu. The menu had an excellent choice of cooked breakfasts to follow. For example as well as the traditional Scottish breakfast with Ayrshire bacon, Stornoway black pudding, potato scone etc there was also a choice of haddock with poached free range egg / kippers in lemon butter, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and three types of omelette. The cost of the room was very reasonable for the high standard and included the full breakfast. We stayed two nights and will go back again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine S, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. Customer service is paramount to us in all departments of the hotel.
We also realise the importance of a good breakfast and being a small hotel we can offer this cooked to order. Our eggs are delivered daily from a local farmer. We are open to residents and non residents all year.
In January we are closing for a few weeks. This will give us a chance to do some renovations. Room 17 will be painted and have new furniture. Several other rooms will also receive new curtains, carpets and furniture.
We will post daily on Facebook. Don't worry, we will be taking bookings online while we are closed and will be answering the phone as well. It would be fun for you to come back and see what we have done to the rooms.
Thank you again for a lovely review and we look forward to seeing you again soon at the Atholl.
The Atholl Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Dunkeld House Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
Fonab Castle Hotel
Fonab Castle Hotel
#3 of 18 in Pitlochry

Been to Atholl Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!