“Atholl Arms Hotel”
Review of Atholl Arms Hotel

Atholl Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed for four nights and made the mistake of getting a room opposite the Co-op on the main street so was very noisy especially early morning.

The hotel itself is fine if a little dated and the food was superb -- brilliant chef of real quality.

Wonderful location for the Highlands, playing golf and some lovely local walks. Dunkeld itself has a lot of charm and worth the visit

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the River Tay where the views are lovely or at least away from the ma...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
christines89, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and particularly mentioning the food was superb. Our award winning Restaurant is very popular. Our head chef likes to change the menu as the seasons bring in different produce and there are always daily specials on offer as well. We recently had a celebrity chef join us for dinner, its on Facebook!
Dunkeld is a great location for getting around the highlands. Did you play on the Dunkeld golf course? The views from there are fabulous overlooking the loch.
We will be happy to make sure you are in a room at the back of the building, please mention it to us when you book your next stay. Remember we will be closed for three weeks just after new Year for renovations to the rooms and lounge.
Thanks again for a nice review of the Atholl and Dunkeld, hope you had a safe trip home and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

stayed here for one night b and b. Rooms dated but very clean, windows could do with a wash. though ! I think overall the hotel is worth a visit , however , the shower was hopeless , couldn't regulate the temperature and those silly little tea cups ..... mugs would be better . We were also woken up at 5 am because the daylight came in through the thin curtains. The staff were very very friendly and the riverside garden was a delight as was the breakfast ... delicious . All in all was a good break for what we paid at around £85 bed and breakfast . Dunkeld is a lovley place , very pretty and we would go back

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank escothesa

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I think your review is very fair in the way you have described your visit. Customer service is our top priory and you clearly appreciated this. Improvements within the hotel are ongoing and can only get better with repeat customers enjoying the stages we go though to get there. We are looking forward to phase two of room refurbishment which will include more heavy wool curtains in all rooms and blinds in the bathrooms.
The garden has been well used this summer and its lovely to walk along the river bank.
Thank you again for a good review. Please next time you visit we will be happy to have mugs in your room if this makes you happy and if there are any issues with showers or anything else please say at the time and we will do our best to fix things right away.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with our dog and it was really nice time. There are plenty paths for dogs to run and the views are beautiful. The shops are close and they have big car park.
I was happy with our clean, spacious room and staff was very friendly. In the lounge we met other dogs owners and it was nice and relaxing place where you can rest after a busy day.
Dinner at the restaurant was good, served fast and hot.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monicja
christines89, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us here in Dunkeld.
We love dogs and you are always welcome to stay anytime. Glad to hear you enjoyed the walks right on our doorstep and some a wee bit further away. We have walking information at reception as sometimes the tourist office is closed and a lot of our guests are avid walkers. Just ask for the blue folder.
The Dougie McLean Amber Festival will be coming to Dunkeld again this year. Its a brilliant festival and we will be posting about it on Facebook, there is also a link to them on our website.
Thanks again for taking the time to write a lovely review and we hope to see you back again soon at the Atholl.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Overall not a bad stay, excellent service is it's saving grace. However for the price £110 p/n I had higher expectations of the room, decor is dated and has seen better days. The window in my room (rm 5) wouldn't stay open, which on a particularly hot weekend had to be wedged open with my shoes. The ''Riverview'' is amusingly named as it features a peep of river. Portions are small and over priced. Breakfast was excellent on the first morning, however on the second when there were considerably more guests, the portion of salmon was halved. Staff are all friendly & helpful, but a bit pretentious. Overall a bit disappointing, and didn't feel completely happy parting with £220 at the end.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Hu55Moo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I do believe you were attending a wedding in the area.
We have owned the hotel three years now and since purchasing the Atholl we have done a huge amount of improvements. This January we are closing for three weeks in order to complete decoration in the rooms including new curtains, carpets and some getting new furniture.
We have planning applications in for replacing the original windows, this is a challenge for a listed building so a long wait here.
Thank you for mentioning room 5 window which is now fixed and can be open without the use of a shoe. I am sorry you had to do that.
I am looking into the portion control with the kitchen, this is most unusual and I wonder if you said anything at the time, we would have been happy to give you another plate of salmon if you felt the portions were smaller than the day before.
Can I just mention that our rates are per room and this quoted amount of 220 was for two rooms in the hight of the season. Our rates are lower mid week, offers are made on our website and also on Facebook. I hope there will be something of interest there and that you get the chance to visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with a friend using an itison deal. The main areas of the hotel were nice. Our twin room was small, basic, had a few cobwebs, and faced out onto the street. The toilet didn't flush half of the time. Breakfast had a decent selection of things to choose from. I enjoyed the friendly group of people playing folk music in the lobby on Saturday night.

The customer service was lacking. The receptionist - didn't catch her name, but she spoke with a Spanish(?) accent - frequently interrupted and talked over me when I phoned to make a reservation. At breakfast I asked if "we could have bread with that please?" to be met with an eye roll and an annoyed, exaggerated sigh by the older Scottish man who took our order. My friend and I were surprised by this reaction to such an innocuous question especially since we overheard him amiably offer bread to the next table.

On another occasion the same man was also abrupt and exasperated when he asked me to repeat myself several times when I requested the bottle of wine that was included in the itison deal. I have a conventional American accent and my friend had to step in and translate. I wouldn't have cared if he hadn't been so rude.

I definitely wouldn't stay again. We expected more given some of the glowing reviews here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Marie P

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so sorry you thought we were rude. This is most unusual and I will look into it further. I know how you feel about the accent as I lived in America for a while and it does get annoying when you have to repeat yourself for the simplest of things.
I would like to talk to you further about all the other things noted as we do not have anyone on reception from Spain nor do we have music on a Saturday night. Did you tell us about the toilet 1/2 working, we could have seen to that right away?
Again, I am sorry you will not be back as there is loads to do in Dunkeld and coming up in October is the Perthshire Amber festival and so much more.
Please contact me via hotel email if you would like to discuss in more detail.
Regards,

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a fantastic stay here for a family birthday. Clean and comfortable rooms. Great location just by the river - we loved sitting outside in the sunny beer garden.Live music on the Friday night really added to the atmosphere! The staff were very friendly, efficient and definitely went that extra mile for us, providing an amazing veggie friendly menu for our group of 13 - have stayed in 5 star hotels and not had attention like that! Delicious and imaginative food enjoyed by all of us.Breakfast was very good too and again the staff went to great lengths to cater for us. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rendrag92
christines89, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Hello, happy belated birthday, and thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We take great care when developing both our menus making sure we offer a varied choice that suites all taste bugs.
With this great weather the garden is filled from morning till night and the river always offers a lovely cool breeze.
We continue to make improvements to the rooms and are looking forward to January when our new curtains and blinds will be fitted.
I would like to share a recent quote from undiscovered Scotland. "The RiverView is rapidly becoming something of a dining destination in its own right, extremely good value, superb, excellent"
Thank you again for a great review and we all hope its not too long before we see you again at the Atholl.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Had a very pleasant stay last week-end. We had room 12 which is very spacious and a lovely big bathroom. Very comfy bed. Room was very clean, which is important to us. We had a lovely meal in the bar first night, and meal in the riverview restaurant next night. Both were lovely. Breakfast also very good. It was lovely to sit in the beer garden beside the river in the sunshine.
Dunkeld is a very special place. Hope to be back, and will stay in the Atholl arms again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank comfortlovers
christines89, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and experienced everything we offer at the Atholl. Delivering a relaxed and professional atmosphere to our guests is paramount.
I also like room 12 facing onto the main street with its big windows, lots of light coming through in this nice big room with high ceilings.
Everything in the kitchen is made from scratch with produce being delivered daily from local farmers and suppliers. Our chefs usually make 2 or 3 daily specials so there is always something different and interesting on the menu. Glad to hear breakfast was to your satisfaction also.
We are all hoping the brilliant weather will continue and that we get full use of our garden on the banks of the River Tay.
Thank you again for writing your review, we all look forward to seeing you again soon at the Atholl.
Warmest regards,
The Atholl Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
1 mi away
#10 of 17 in Pitlochry
Kenmore Hotel
Kenmore Hotel
#2 of 2 in Kenmore

Been to Atholl Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!