“Comfortable with good food, not good with "technical" problems”

Dunkeld House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
“Comfortable with good food, not good with "technical" problems”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The food in the restaurant was impressive, but a bit nouvelle cuisine with most of us adding side orders of chips and onion rings to avoid having to make a trip to Dunkeld's excellent chippy afterwards.

Nice grounds bounded by the River Tay. We used the pool, sauna and steam room as well.

I was staying with my family in order to join the Etape Caledonia, for me a 4:45 start on the Sunday morning to get to Pitlochry with time to spare for a 7:20 start on the 81 mile ride.

On leaving the room after checkin, we noticed all the power was out. When I went back later, having reported it to reception, the power was still out. I reported it again and when we went back it was working. Except for my wife's reading lamp, and the kids' telly.

By the time they came to sort that out, it was after 10p.m. The first guy couldn't sort either problem and wanted to call in the cavalry. I explained I had to get up in a few hours time, so if it was going to take more than two minutes, don't bother. A team of two arrived ten minutes later. After a bit of guddling about they sorted the kids telly, but not the reading lamp. I told them it wasn't important to us now.

I would have thought an establishment of this standard would have offered us a bit of real compensation for this trouble, but while my wife did mention all the problems and the fact I'd been kept up later than I would have liked, none was offered.

Room Tip: We were in the newer wing. Power problems but a nice view over the Tay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Your feedback is appreciated and we will learn from you experience with regards to the handling of a power failure in a guest bedroom. I am sorry no service recovery was offered for the inconvenience but am pleased to read you enjoyed the cuisine form our Kitchen team. Hope you will return again.
Hilton Dunkeld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Korean first
Melrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The potential to be a terrific hotel but let down a bit by being a bit tired looking now. The location by the river is great and the staff and service were excellent. However the dining room generally is in need of freshening up - most of the chairs were worn looking - and here and there throughout the hotel paintwork needed touched up.
The bedroom was fine but the towels didn't smell particularly fresh and the tiles to the walk in shower could have been cleaner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of Hilton Dunkeld and we are overall satisfied you enjoyed your stay with us and we are embarking on refurbishment programmes this year to enhance our hotel. Hope to see you in the future at Hilton Dunkeld.
West Midlands
Reviewed May 25, 2013

A bit of boring background so that the level of my disappointment makes sense. My wife had reached three score years and ten without ever visiting Scotland. I therefore chose locations like the Dunkeld Hilton with its fabulous views of the River Tay to make our trip special. She also has walking difficulties so in negotiating with hotels I worked hard to book beautiful rooms (which I was happy to pay extra for) which my wife could access.
Most places met our needs beautifully but sadly the Dunkeld Hilton made a monumental mess of it.
When I'm asked if my wife can manage stairs I always answer a few as in two or three. We have a stair lift at home and when away we need ground floor rooms or ones serviced by a lift.
When we arrived at the Hilton we found we had been allocated an upstairs room in the General Wade building. This was up a full flight of stairs, in a building up a slope and a goodly walk, if you have mobility problems, from the lounges and restaurant in the main hotel. The hotel was almost full with a wedding on and two groups booked in. Reception were apologetic but could only offer a standard room of a lesser standard than we had booked and absolutely without the river view I had booked to make my wife's stay magical.
Lack of attention to detail completely took the edge off our stay with Hilton. I find it depressing that either through lack of awareness or attention to detail an international company like Hilton can fail to meet the contracted needs of a disabled customer.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Happywanderer93
We apologise sincerely we did not pay sufficient attention to your wife’s disabilities with regards to her room requirements and I am unable to comment further on your reservation due to lack of details. If you wish to contact myself to discuss further please contact myself via Tripadvisor.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

What a lovely entrance road (needs a bit of repair) and beautiful surroundings. Atmospheric inside with a good sized swimming pool, gym and leisure area. when we got there, there was a bikers convention maybe 30 + bikers but no problems, they were good fun. When we left there was about 30+ vintage Bentley's up for the holiday weekend so obviously a popular hotel. Staff were very hard working and friendly. We had higher expectations for the food which at best you could say was average, no real attempt at fine dining which is a shame with a really limited menu. My room was tiny, room 146 with a ventilation system outside (for the pool I think) which droned on all day and night but didn't spoil my sleep, maybe thanks to a few glasses of wine but if you were a light sleeper could be an issue. If going back we would probably eat out at a local restaurant (if there is one) and avoid room 146.

Room Tip: Only experienced the one room (146) and would avoid if possible. If there are rooms overlooking the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
On a positive note we are pleased to read you enjoyed the service from our team members and the surroundings we are situated in and take your constructive criticism regarding the food and room on board. We do not class our Garden Restaurant as fine dining, it’s a table d’hôte menu with Scottish fare which changes daily and rotates every three days and am sorry your expectations were not met. We do hope you will return and we will look forward to welcoming you back.
Avimore
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is the jewel in the crown of all hilton hotels , great for business or even that relaxing getaway this hotel is a must have before you die add it to your bucket list . Always a pleasure to visit Hilton Dunkeld

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the marvellous evaluation of our hotel; hope to see you back again soon.
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Lovely location by the river Tay. An upgraded room is definitely superior to the normal standard having experienced both types. The suites in the older part of the building are well equipped with separate lounge area and have large bay windows and small balcony facing the river.
Having previously stayed at the hotel just 2 years ago the food standard in the restaurant had definitely deteriorated especially at breakfast time when staff were thin on the ground.
We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night and found the choice quite limited on the set menu and had to eat off the bar menu. Not a particularly good meal and then we were overcharged and had to inform the waiter. Definitely would not eat there again as set menus are too limited and heavy. However the hotel is within walking distance of Dunkeld where there are a few small restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SueB510
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
We are disappointed to read your expectations were not met with regards to the food and beverage experience and we have recently altered the format of our dinner menus to change more frequently. We are sorry you felt let down and our food and beverage team will use your feedback in a positive way. We are pleased to read you enjoyed your suite in our hotel and do hope you will return in the future and we will look forward to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed with my wife for 3 nights.

Plus points: Friendly and helpful staff, very good food and service, fantastic location

Minus points: No mobile signal (not Hotel's fault) but no free Wifi in rooms; free Wifi in public areas time-limited. No BBC radio 4 available via TV in room- would have had to pay £15 for a day's Wifi to listen to the News Quiz on my phone. No business centre facilities e.g. printer. No system for alerting maintenance when domestic staff find something obviously wrong- e.g. bulb blown in an already gloomy bathroom- left to the guest to sort out?

Would certainly come again despite these niggles.

Room Tip: Even the standard rooms at the back of the hotel look over a pleasant woodland bank.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review and we will certainly use your constructive feedback to make changes to our operating systems and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Hilton Dunkeld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Atholl Palace Hotel
Ballathie House Hotel
Ballathie House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Stanley
Knockendarroch Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Dunkeld House Hotel? Share your experiences!