“A Couple of Good Days”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
Dundee, United Kingdom
“A Couple of Good Days”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and hubby had bought us a Voucher for our Christmas present for DBB we added another night to it and set off for a few nights pampering
The hotel is in glorious grounds with big trees and the River Tay running by
The rooms are Premier Inn standard with a few other bits added to enhance the experience and spotlessly clean the shower was top class too ,toiletries were also top class
Dinner is served in a very large dining room but with a great atmosphere by great staff , food was was very good too
All staff were very welcoming and all would go out of thier way for you
We had a very lovely few days
The downside
Wi Fi £14.99 a time ( premier inn at least give you 30mins free )
On both nights we had to ask for butter for our bread one night no cutlery for me and no soup spoon spoon for the wife
Breakfast is great starting with a very warm welcome
The downside each morning we had to ask for tea spoons and milk ( we do not blame the young staff but the manager should be keeping an eye on the young ones)
The menu was the same each night and both of us would have struggled to find anything we liked on a third nights stay
Winter at Dunkeld was great maybe Spring would be nice too with wild flowers and lots of greenery hopefully the menu is changed too,
Overall we had a great two nights made even better by very welcoming and friendly staff
Maybe we are nit picking but if we don't mention it bad habits will creep in
Locally Dunkeld and surrounding area are just wonderfull

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sherbert852
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your review and we are overall delighted you had a great time, please be assured your constructive feedback has been filtered to the departmental managers and we will make improvements to ensure our service becomes flawless. We are glad you enjoyed the service from our team members and we hope to see you back at Hilton Dunkeld in the future.
Hilton Dunkeld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Korean first
Wick, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

There was once upon a time that I would have rated this hotel 5/5 on every category. I used to stay at this hotel at least once, if not twice every three months because of my trips to Glasgow.

The staff are fantastic and always well presented. They come across as being genuinely interested in making sure you have an exceptional stay... at least in the early days they did. My last trip to Dunkeld was in November 2012 and I haven't been back since. As with a number of comments from other Guests on Trip Advisor, the food was the real downer- I was served chicken that was not cooked all the way through and It wasn't until I realised it didn't taste quite right and I had ate a significant part of the meat that I became aware. I brought it to the attention of the waiter, he apologised but no more was said on the matter and there was no offer of a replacement dish.

I also witnessed the waiter fighting with the chef because I had requested a chocolate fudge cake that was on the room service menu and not on the a la carte menu. I felt particularly uncomfortable knowing that I was the cause of this...

My partner did hand in a feedback form and reported our complaints to reception. Needless to say when I returned home I became sick not 24 hours after consuming the suspect chicken. My partner did get an email to say sorry for not having chocolate pudding but there was no mention about the chicken and that was the end of the matter! It was also certainly the end of our custom with Dunkeld Hotel!

The rooms are what you would expect with Hilton hotels, very standard with stylish flairs in some of the rooms. We have stayed in quite a few of them,. The location is fantastic, there is so much to do on the estate and we have used the Land Rover experience, clay pigeon shooting as part of our stay. We also attended a wedding there in March 2012 and had a fantastic visit, we were very well looked after. Drinks are expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank L_Allen86
Thank you for your review regarding your stay in November 2012. We have made a number of changes within our hotel since your stay last year and we are sorry you will not return to see them. We are pleased you felt genuinely cared for and have passed your praise on to our team.
scotland
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just returned from two nights at Dunkeld hilton. We had great weather both days and the setting
of this hotel is just beautiful.
We walked from the hotel into Dunkeld and then walked to Loch of the Lowes visitor centre.
Fabulous walk ( a bit hilly in places) but worth it. We then walked back to Dunkeld for lunch.
The evening meals are very good and the staff are excellent. Our room was okay, a bit dusty, but
confortable bed. Pillows are very very soft. No others supplied.
Will definitely come back soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words and are overjoyed you had a great stay with us. Apologies for the dust in your bedroom and are pleased to read you will return again.
Dundee
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I booked the Dukes Suite at Dunkeld House Hotel for my partners birthday. We have stayed here on several occasions and have always had a lovely time. This occasion was slightly different. The room was beautiful in the original building and overlooking the gardens. The staff as always were.friendly and welcoming. The food in the restaurant was disappointing on our visit. Poor choice for non meat eaters. I decided on salmon but it was soft and spongy. On the following evening we were offered the same menu as the previous night. I chose stuffed pasta as I didn't fancy the salmon again but it was just cooked stuffed pasta like you can purchase in any supermarket topped with Parmesan shavings. There was no sauce to accompany the pasta which I found dry to eat. My partner decided to have a well done steak from the supplement insert menu which was not available the previous evening. When the steak arrived it was still bloody so it had to be sent back to the kitchen resulting in me being almost finished my pasta before my partner had even taken a bite. We will return again, lets hope the kitchen gets a shake up before then. Otherwise another pleasant stay.

Room Tip: The suites are lovely in the original building and excellent value if you get a deal
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ngmcintosh
Thank you for your constructive feedback, we are in the process of changing the dinner menu format with our new Head Chef and which will give more choice and variety to our guests. We are exceptionally sorry the food was disappointing for your partners birthday stay. We are pleased to read you will return and enjoyed the exceptional service our staff delivered.
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Reception: fine (bit of loitering and chatting by staff, nothing intimidating though)

Room: adequate. A couple of water stains around the taps in the bathroom, iron and ironing board, plenty of coat hangers (never normally enough in hotel rooms). Plug sockets for iPad and kindle charging.

Gym: good for a hotel gym, bit of a circuitous route, but worth a visit.

Ambience: relaxed, I worked in the lounge with a glass if wine for a few hours writing up a paper and it was very quiet and a good environment to get some work done in.

Scenery: you'd have to go some to beat this place, the long driveway makes you forget your troubles and I saw deer with their dark, winter coats and antlers grazing a stones throw from the track. The river runs right by and the whole place is truly, very special.

Restaurant: couldn't get a table earlier than 20:45 in the restaurant so I ate in the lounge. Food was good. The starter was fine, smoked salmon on an oatcake, could have done with more of the Dijon jus, which was a bit scarce, also another small slice of salmon wouldn't have gone astray. I asked for mustard and more gravy with my main, it came without hesitation and the meal was a really good size, but then it was a lamb shank. Good crunchy veggies and delicious mint gravy. Glad I asked for more. Pudding was a choc parfait, waitress had a bit of banter about the fruit garnish being one of my five a day, which was lovely and informal. There could have been a little more of the whiskey reduction, I scraped it all into one spoonful and still hardly tasted it. Lovely parfait though.
Good atmosphere and lovely staff. I'm in Perthshire regularly for business, the Hilton in Dunkeld would be one of my first choices, although I still rather love the intimacy of the Hunting Tower, but the two hotels are on two very different scales.

All in, a good experience, I'd stay again, it's a little tired in places (chipped corners etc, nothing major at all), but it was welcoming enough to make me want to go back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank kirstylizz
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had our wedding reception here on a Saturday in April 2012. Prior to the wedding I must admit that I was concerned that we had made a mistake in booking our wedding here after a disappointing menu tasting and a few initial challenges with trying to communicate with our wedding coordinator (relating to changes in staffing). However I cannot emphasise enough how relieved I am that we did have our reception here. From the moment we arrived on the Friday it was clear that everything was going to go well. The staff - especially Joe, Jade and the MC Marie - were all fantastic. On the day absolutely everything ran smoothly. Everyone commented on how lovely the food was and the staff could not have been more helpful and courteous. I have been to weddings in very expensive venues where the food has been substandard but the Hilton provided us with an excellent standard of food and service. Our guests were full of compliments about the whole experience.

The staff made us feel as if the hotel was ours for that weekend which was wonderful. It was also a really nice touch that they set up the garden room for us and our guests to have breakfast together on the Sunday morning. Throughout the wedding planning process the Hilton demonstrated flexibility and were responsive to our various requests and negotiations about many aspects of the day. The Hilton Dunkeld really came through for us and I highly recommend it as a wedding venue!! Thank you so much, it will always be a very special place for us and our family.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kat w
We are elated we exceeded your expectations and your wedding was a perfect day to remember at Hilton Dunkeld. I have shared all your wonderful feedback with all our team members and a special thanks to those mentioned. We hope you will come back to visit us again soon.
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed for three nights on one of their 'deals' last week. The hotel is situated on the banks of the River Tay and is in a beautiful building but unfortunately it is in dire need of updating. The furnishings in the room were stained but on the other hand the sheets and towels were of excellent quality.

The room was spacious but when I booked I thought I was getting a room overlooking the river but it was in fact overlooking the car park! I think if you asked for a room at the end of the building it would be better. Smokers standing outside the front door could look directly into our bedroom! Apart from that the room was very well appointed but didn't have a fridge or safe which most hotel rooms have nowadays.

The food is not good and the service in the dining room extremely slow.

I appreciated both the pool and spa and used them each evening with pleasure. We cycled directly from the hotel to Pitlochry and played golf twice nearby. The weather was wonderful and overall we enjoyed our stay but I don't think I would return. I do realise that we paid a very reasonable rate so overall it was a good break.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate the time you have taken to write this review and make an apology for the shortcomings you received from our food and beverage department during your stay with us. Your comments are appreciated as they will assist us further in our aim to provide the very best customer care we possibly can.
Hilton Dunkeld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Atholl Arms Hotel
Ballathie House Hotel
Ballathie House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Stanley
Knockendarroch Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Dunkeld House Hotel? Share your experiences!