“Excellent stay”

Dunkeld House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We enjoyed our stay very much in Dunkeld House Hotel. Room was clean and spacious and bed comfortable. Dinner and breakfast in the hotel on both days was excellent, the best choice of breakfast we have had and staff were helpful and pleasant. Only complaint was room at the back of the hotel was noisy from 5 a.m. so would choose a different room in the future and rooms a little tired. The grounds are beautiful and there were a few deer roaming in the snow.

Room Tip: Would recommend avoiding room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

We thank you for taking the time to write this review and are elated you had a great stay and enjoyed the dinner, bed and breakfast package. We have a number of refurbishment plans for our hotel this year and certain bedrooms earmarked for renovation. We hope you will come back again and we will look forward to welcoming you back.
Hilton Dunkeld

Write a ReviewReviews (2,419)

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We very much enjoyed our recent two night stay in the Dunkeld House Hotel. Our suite was clean and spacious. The bed was large and comfy.
Dinner in the restaurant on both evenings was pleasant and relaxing. We found the staff to be attentive and friendly. A special mention to our server - Wayne, who truly made our weekend, through his friendly banter and professional approach.
We were impressed with the quality of the cooked breakfasts, particularly enjoying the inclusion of poached eggs and haggis.
We hope to return to enjoy the beautiful setting, perhaps during summer months.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the review we are pleased you had a great stay with us and I’ve shared all your fantastic feedback with our team members and especially Wayne. We hope you will return in the summer.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have just returned from a 1 night stay at this hotel. Unfortunately it did not start out well. My partner booked the hotel as part of my birthday and upgraded us to a suite. After viewing the suites online, i was excited about our stay. On arrival, the reception staff were lovely however we arrived at our room and were hugely disappointed in the suite. I called reception straight away who advised that this was a tradtitional and unique room. I have stayed at many hotels over the years and can assure you that this room was not unique and was in fact tired and in need of a huge refurb. When I called reception, the first lady was very unhelpful and advised she would call back in 5 minutes. after 20 minutes I called again to find out that the lady had finished her shift and left no handover with her colleagues. The girl who then dealt with my issue was so helpful and attentive, it is just unfortunate that i didnt catch her name so as I could let the manager know what a fantastic service she provided. She couldnt provide a suite but provided me with 3 room keys so as i could pick the room of my choice. We chose a lovely room which was modern and had bathrobes too. After a trip into town, we returned at our room to complimentary wine and chocolates from the hotel due to the inconveniance caused. It was very thoughtful and my stay turned out to be great. The restaurant staff were great and good food. The boys in the bar were fantastic and made us amazing cocktails. All in all we had an overall good stay, just be sure you clarify what kind of room you want to avoid disappointment.

Room Tip: Make sure you clarify the type of room you want to avoid disappointment.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

We are extremely sorry your initial impression of the hotel was not positive and due to the lack of information on the room you booked I am unable to comment on this individual room. We are pleased a certain member of our team sorted your issues and you were happy with the choices given, the service you received from her and the chocolates in your room. Your thanks has been passed on to our food and beverage team and glad you enjoyed the cocktails. We hope you will return again.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel is in a lovely setting in the country right on the outskirts of Dunkeld. It is a lovely walk along the water into Dunkeld. The rooms are definitely a little tired and old fashioned but the whole experience is still really nice and the lounges are charming. Dinner couldn't be faulted. There is a spa and pool although we didn't get a chance to use them - and the spa was booked up so book in advance if you want a treatment. Breakfast was a typical Hilton buffet - ideal to fill up for the day ahead. If I was going back I would like to try some of the other activities on site such as the 4 x4 driving.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel it’s a pleasure to read you had a great time and will return to enjoy some of the estate activities.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

just returned from overnight valentines stay. unlike the majority of people who stay here we do not have a bottomless purse so this was meant as something special for us. when we walked into our room I could have cried, it was dark and very very dated. it felt almost creepy. I had to try really hard to hide my disappointment as my husband had put his heart into booking it. we asked to book dinner at seven that evening but were told the earliest we could book was 8.30 or we could just eat in lounge whenever we wanted. although disappointed at this we decided we were too hungry to wait till 8.30 so we would just eat in the lounge. we sat with the menus on the table for over half an hour with no acknowledgement from waitress so my husband asked her to take our order. we both ordered pate which came with a quarter slice of toast. what were we meant to put the rest of the pate on? we had sticky toffee pudding which was cold.... never had this cold in my life, it was horrible. was not asked at any point how our food was. £8 for a glass of wine is a joke, we had just bought a bottle from town for £6. a pint of lager £4. breakfast in the morning was self service which we found very strange for a 4 star hotel. really felt very flat leaving Hilton as it was meant to be a treat but just left a sour taste. staff didn't seem interested, room just horrible, food left a lot to be desired. we had booked into the 3 star rob roy hotel in aberfoyle the following evening and this hotel would put the Hilton to shame. staff couldn't have made us more welcome, rooms were a delight and food was delicious. all in all what we paid for the Hilton we would have got two nights at rob roy and I wish we would have done that. they say you get what you pay for but in our experience on this occasion this certainly wasn't the case.

1  Thank margieshaw51

Your disappointment is our regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am unsure if you spoke with the duty manager during your stay to voice your opinion of the hotel as we appreciate all guest feedback. We apologise your room and service was not to standard and this has been addressed. All Hilton hotels provide buffet breakfasts and our beverage pricing is in line with other Hilton properties. We are sorry you will not return.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 3 year ago and loved it so was really looking forward to my second visit and had raved about the place so much. On the last visit we were greeted at reception with the offer of a small whisky/ sherry and being a Hilton Honours member was then informed that I had been upgraded free of charge albeit that myroom requirements had changed and therefore we had to graciously declne the offer. I didnt need to worry though as the room i then stayed in was perfect and in keeping with what you excpect from the Hilton brand. Fast forward to February 2013 and the greeting at reception was not as welcoming. Whilst the male receptionist was without fault there was no welcomihn drink and the offer of an upgrade was accompanied by the cost to do so. As I was only staying one night ( then returning two days later to stay a second night ) I didnt feel the need to upgrade for the one night and was given the key for my room. The hotel was being renovate and therefore I had to carry my luggage up the garnd staircase to the first floor walk along the corridor and then take the lift to the second floor and after what seemed like a lengthy trek arrived at our room. To say steptoe's knackers yard appeared more appealing is an understatement. Door handles were missing off the bedside cabinet and the table was heavily stained. Ok I was not planning on eating off the table but the overall impression of the room was so bad I returned to reception to try and get a better ' basic' room. I was then shown a small room but told that at least it had a great view which it did but that's not much use when you can't see it as you are too busy trying to manoevre round the furniture. I was then given the keys for another room which i initially accepted but my partner pointed out that really it wasn't what you would expect to have to put up with ( torn seating on this occasion) and sought the assistance of the assistant manger who then moved us free of charge into one of the upgraded rooms which was a bright airy room (106) and was better even though that was also starting to show signs of wear and tear. There was an issue re us getting the room on our return but fortunately managed to get a similar standard room on the second floor when we did return again free of charge albeit that when we initially checked out we were told we would have to pay an upgrade fee to stay there. The gas in the restaurant want working on th second night and the dinner we had paid for had to be altered to reflect this and a cold buffet started was offerred and steak for main. Initially we were told we could get gravy with the steak then no we couldn't and then finally as we finished our dinner we were told that gravy had been available so overall the impression was one of chaos. I mean surely a restaurant can make a gravy without a gas stove! The main communal areas are pleasant relaxing and adequate. Overall though the hotel is fine you will have a nice stay there but just don't accept the first room offerred if it's not up to par as quite a lot of the rooms aren't as we found out from speaking with other guests who also described the rooms as tired. The shambles that was dinner on the night the gas stive went out could also have been better handled and I think this reflects on the overall management. Nice hotel not Hilton standard and shame to admit i wont be back. Overpriced for what it has become much nicer hotels around.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking th fron entrance offer the best views by far.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

We are disappointed your expectations were not met and we have discussed your feedback with the relevant departmental managers. There are a number of our rooms having room care at present and apologise the first room you were offered was not to standard. The situation with the gas was unforeseeable and a situation we have learnt from. We are sorry you will not return in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Great accommodation for a few days' relaxing break. Excellent cooked breakfast and service in the restaurant is always friendly and attentive. Choice of tap beers at the bar is poor, but that's the only (very minor) grumble at an otherwise lovely hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Delighted you had a wonderful stay and pleased you enjoyed the service we delivered.
Hilton Dunkeld

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
1 mi away
Fonab Castle Hotel
Fonab Castle Hotel
#4 of 17 in Pitlochry
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa

Been to Dunkeld House Hotel? Share your experiences!