“Lovely hotel in great setting”

Dunkeld House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel in great setting”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great location for hotel situated down long access road into lovely countryside. Staff fantastic and lounge areas great. Gym and pool available. Room was nice. Did not try the restaurant so not sure what that was like, but if you want great atmosphere and access to long walks this is the place

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
susanmacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you, we are glad you appreciated our wonderful location, the facilities we offer and the service our staff provided. I have passed your thanks onto our team members. Hope to see you again in the near future.
Hilton Dunkeld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Korean first
Westhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We used to go the Hilton (previously Stakis) Dunkeld regularly until a few years ago when standards fell, particularly in restaurant where we sometimes waited over an hour between courses. We decided to go back with our family and booked two Hilton Suites - which were really great!. Son and daughter-in-law were able to have their baby in a cot in the sitting room, and be able to close the adjoining doors to the bedroom. Sorted!. Restaurant was fine, and food was great. No complaints at all. All staff we came across were friendly and smiled. Big change from our last visit about 8 years ago. Only niggle was that we could not work out how to use the electric radiators in our rooms, and even the very amiable porter said that he did not know how to work them either. They came on at random. Point for hotel - put a card in room showing how to operate the radiators! Nevertheless, we were more than happy with our weekend, and will be coming back - just like the old days.

Room Tip: Go for a Hilton Suite if you can. They have a separate sitting room with 3-piece suite and separate...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the commendation we are pleased you appreciated the improvements we have made and enjoyed the rooms you and your family stayed in. I will ensure our maintenance team communicate with our porters so they have full knowledge of our heating system. We are delighted you will return and look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.
Glasgow
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I recently stayed at hotel with my husband and two children (aged 4 and 7). We stayed in a family room which was spacious and nicely decorated. We were lucky the weather was lovely when we stayed therefore we took advantage of the grounds and went cycling. We also used the leisure club and I had a treatment which was nice. We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast and dinner was nice although if staying for 3 or 4 nights the menu would become quite repetitive. The kids menu was also satisfactory. Breakfast was very nice. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are pleased you and your family had a great stay and made use of the many facilities we have here at Hilton Dunkeld. I have passed your thanks onto all our team members and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Dunkeld in the near future.
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Friendly and welcoming staff ensure a good first impression as does the exterior of the building and the riverside woodland setting. The majority of the rooms seem to be contemporarily furnished and located in a modern addition to the main building which was built in 1900. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable with a balcony..Spa facilities run by 'Living Well' were good with a decent sized pool.

Room Tip: We paid an extra tarriff for an upgrade to a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the lovely review, it’s great motivation for our team members to read such praise and we are delighted you enjoyed Hilton Dunkeld.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have just recently returned from a three night stay at this hotel. We booked using the autumn/winter deal with hilton which gave us a room at £109 per night (instead of £165) and a bottle of prossecco. We were really excited to be staying there as it had been on my wish list for sometime now as Dunkeld is a really beautiful part of Scotland. Imagine my horror then when we were shown to our room. It was a standard room and was at the back of the hotel. The room was dark and dreary with dark shabby wooden furniture. I felt the life being sucked out of me the minute we walked in . We went to reception to see if we could change rooms but alas for the first night the reply was a no. I honestly nearly packed up and went home then. We did stay the night but needed all three lights on during the day to see anything. The dinner in the evening was fine and we were well looked after.

The next morning we spoke to an amazing receptionist called Lesley - she was an angel and moved us to one of the front facing rooms where we had daylight coming in the room. The room was lovely - not shabby either like the back rooms. From there on in the experece changed. We had a great stay. The menu was very repetitive and in fact we had steak three nights in a row as there was nothing else we fancied from the limited menu. Breakfast was great but had to ask three times each morning to get coffee - there did not seem to be a system of sitting you down and bringing you tea or coffee - very frutstrating. Overall the hotel was really shabby - defo needs an upgrade - the seats in the dining room are tatty and falling to bits. The staff were very friendly and the location was stunning. The pool was brilliant too. The spa area was quite expensive and could benefit from offereing packages - ie mini facial and back massage for £50 to have them separately there were going to cost way more - needless to say everytime i saw her she was hanging about not that busy.

Would I stay at this hotel again? Probably yes but not for £165 per night and defo not in one of the rear facing rooms. Lesley deserves a medal for her customer service - oh and did we ever get the prossecco? Nope - we were never offered it by anyone! Despite the above comments we had a great time in a beautiful part of the world.

Room Tip: Defo get a front facing room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nicandcam
We are elated you had a wonderful stay despite the comments you have mentioned. All our standard rooms are back facing and if you would like a front facing room a guest room plus, deluxe or suite are all front facing towards to the gardens or river view. Our breakfast staff have asked me to convey their apologies for the lack of service you received each morning and tea and coffee should have been swiftly delivered to your table. I am sorry you did not receive your Prossecco and I am unsure if you asked for it as you could have taken it home with you. We are pleased you will return and I have relayed your thanks to Lesley.
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I'd love to give this hotel five stars but in all honesty it is showing a lack of investment and a lack of care.
To start with the good points, firstly the location. A wonderful wooded spot by the river, less than a mile from Dunkeld with its cathedral and great little shops. Being right on the path network, I was able to leave the car parked up for three days and walk everywhere. Don't expect total tranquility though - the A9 is just across the river so there's always a hum of traffic noise. Luckily the double glazing prevents any noise getting into the rooms though.
The restaurant gets mixed reviews on here but I was very happy with almost everything. The set menu doesn't change very often but with seven main courses (three meat, two fish and two vegetarian), you would have to be here a while to get bored. The specials are a bit pricey - £9 extra for sirloin steak is pushing it - but I ate from the set menu twice and thoroughly enjoyed both meals. On my last night I treated myself to a steak which was tender, flavourful and properly cooked.
Restaurant service can be variable - mostly it was great but then little things like waiting half an hour for a liqueur coffee take the edge off. In fairness I was not charged and the restaurant manager did apologise profusely but it is the simple things that spoil the overall experience. The bar prices are seriously steep (£12 for a 250ml glass of sauvignon blanc!) but quality and service were good on all three nights.
Breakfast on the first morning was still being put out half an hour after starting and yet the bacon was still cold, but on the other days it was of good quality with loads of choice.
I treated myself to a suite in General Wade's House - great if you want the facilities of a big hotel but to also get away from the hubub that goes with it. The suite itself, the lack of noise and the views from it were wonderful, but again it's little things that let it down. At £175 per night you don't expect a bath panel hanging off, shower door that is also hanging off it's fixing and curtains that don't close properly (which someone has attempted to fix by stapling - yes stapling - them into the plaster!). A good handyman would have all these fixed inside an hour. Oddly, the cold tap dispenses warm water unless you run the water very fast for a while to let it drain through.
Would I stay again - yes I would as the downsides are probably not serious enough to prevent me doing so, but I wish someone in Hilton management would take note of the comments on here and do something about the maintenance and service issues.

Room Tip: Go for General Wade's House to avoid the noisy main hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for the constructive review it is appreciated. Investment into our hotel is a priority for us and we have recently replaced ground floor carpets and we are staring a lobby upgrade next month. The maintenance issues you have mentioned have been repeated to our room care team for rectification. Thank you for the many positive comments regarding our team members and the culinary delights from our kitchen team. Look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Dunkeld on your next stay.
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Somewhat worn hotel in beautiful grounds. Very pleasant staff though some appeared undertrained. Over my weekend stay my sleep was broken both in the afternoon when I wanted to take a nap and in the middle of each night by rowdiness in the corridors and people talking loudly near my door. The service at dinner, where the food varied from very good to indifferent, was excruciatingly slow and the bar insufficiently staffed; I was not prepared to wait for ages to buy a drink and the hotel must be losing substantial revenue from the lack of bar staff at peak times. The service in the lounge area during the day, however, was extremely good and attentive. The broadband capacity for wifi was lacking, at least for my iPad, and inadequate for watching, for example, BBC iPlayer. The hotel is, in my opinion, not worth the prices charged. That said I was, with no argument, gracefully offered a substantial discount from my bill which went a long way to make me feel better about my visit.

Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Michael B
susanmacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Your feedback is appreciated and we are profusely apologetic your weekend was a disappointment due to the issues you have stated. We thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback at the hotel before you departed and giving us the opportunity to amend your bill accordingly. Your comments have been discussed in detail with management and thank you for the kind words regarding our team members.
Hilton Dunkeld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Atholl Arms Hotel
Fonab Castle Hotel
Fonab Castle Hotel
#4 of 18 in Pitlochry
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa

Been to Dunkeld House Hotel? Share your experiences!