“Great Stay”

The Royal Dunkeld Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed overnight with family. Staff were very helpful in accommodating our request to have rooms together as my son wanted his own room and we wanted to be nearby which meant we had our own "wing" of 4 bedrooms. Lovely character hotel with great food and bar. Especially enjoyed retiring to the upstairs lounge after dinner to play monopoly from the selection of available board games. Would definitely return and next time bring our dog as the hotel is dog friendly. Overall a fabulous stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sharon G

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We had our parents 60th wedding anniversary dinner at the hotel and we all stayed over. The food and menu was ideal for a mixed bunch of people with different food likes/dislikes. The hotel has a nice cosy bar where we all watched the rugby in the afternoon. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The rooms were comfortable and clean - we thought it was good value and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We presumed the man on reception was the owner of The Royal Dunkeld Hotel, he greeted us, after giving us the key to our room, with "Welcome to the mad house"! No idea what he meant by that but it may have been better if it had been a "mad house". The first thing that we noticed was the stairs, on how old and sloping they looked! The carpert looked very tired and not so clean! Later a woman in her senior years with a walking stick commented that she was frightened on coming walking down the steps. Our room key was dropped and it fell THREE steps before it stopped falling!!

The room could have been cleaner and was cold for our arrival and cold through the night! The floor sounded like we were walking on crisps, very creaky and we were so conscience of walking across floor late at night, not wanting to disturb our neighbours! We headed down for a meal but while waiting around for attention we heard that staff hadn't arrived for work yet, (around 6pm) so we decided to eat at a neighbouring hotel instead!

At breakfast, staff were uninterested with their guests! No grace or personality about them! Too quiet and softly spoken! You need bright and confident staff! Send them on a course of hotel management skills if you must have them at all!

Our breakfast of poached eggs on toast took half an hour to arrive, when it arrived apologies were given by the owner saying, "because you ordered eggs and everything is cooked to order"! Come on! You can cook a steak in half and hour!
The table was too small for everything, our toast in a basket was removed and put onto the high sill to allow room for the OLD stainless steal teapot! The lid did not close properly therefore the tea got cold quickly!

On our way home we stopped by a small cafe and received better public relation service! A smile and confidence goes a long way in the catering business!

Room Tip: Anyone with disabilities may need to ask for room on ground floor!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank HimandHerTwo
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is the second time we have visited The Royal Dunkeld Hotel for a bar lunch, and I will be back. Out GSP Rosa was made very welcome, and was offered a bowl of water and some biscuits on arrival. The first time we visited was in the Summer of 2012, and we sat out the back, very nice. This time we sat inside, as we were still in Winter-Spring season. I am very pleased that we went back. I had the special Jumbo Haddock, cracking piece of fish, almost melt in the mouth. My wife has a Panini, which just hit the spot. Thinking about staying overnight the next time. Well worth a visit. Dunkeld is very picturesque, and has loads of various dog walks, and some nice things to see. Recommend a visit to The Royal Dunkeld Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed here a few times on business. It's an old building and as such pretty awkward/expensive to heat with it's single glazed windows but I have found that some rooms are better than others. I can't imagine this is a problem during the summer but I have been staying here in the depths of a snowy winter.

I spent my first night in room 105 which was very cold, regardless of having my heater on full blast all night. The bathroom was less than 5 degrees celcius so I used it as a fridge (true story). I also could not get online here so the next time I stayed I asked for a room close to one of the hubs.

Since then I have stayed in room 201, which is above the 1st floor lounge where the router is kept and is where they suggest you go if you can't get internet in your room.

The bedroom decor is dated but the place is clean, the beds are comfortable and, in room 201 at least, you can turn the heating up until it is nice and toasty.

I've had breakfasts and lunches in the hotel and both have been good although my boiled eggs are occasionally undercooked. Today I had two eggs: one was fine and the other was raw around the yolk... I don't know how they managed that one to be honest.

I'm going to go for a "full scottish" next time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank wolfbhoy
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We had an unplanned stay here after being stuck in the snow on our way to Skye. The staff were all lovely, very helpful and friendly. We had our dog with us and she was greeted with treats and fresh water in the bar. The room was clean and comfortable, the shower particularly good. The great suprise was the quality of food in the bar which really was very good. We felt we had received good value for money-£68 for two of us b and b plus the dog. Would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for comfortable rooms and some really great food!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank hannah j
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great pub do the most fantastic toasties with salad and coleslaw and chips are fab really good ales, staff are always friendly and helpful! Never been disappointed with this place and it has a real fire in it as well, great in the summer to as you can sit outside !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Dunkeld House Hotel
#7 of 18 in Pitlochry
Kenmore Hotel
Kenmore Hotel
#2 of 2 in Kenmore

Been to The Royal Dunkeld Hotel? Share your experiences!