“Very personal experience, quaint setting, decent food.”
Review of Chatters Restaurant - CLOSED

Chatters Restaurant
Cuisines: French, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Having been given a gift voucher by colleagues for this location, we made the journey over on the ferry to have dinner on a Saturday afternoon.

The restaurant is in a converted Victorian style cottage, this gives it a modern but homely feel as you walk in.

We were escorted to the conservatory at the back to wait on our table being prepared, the waitress brought drinks. The conservatory has a range of paintings, ornaments and trinkets, all of which are for sale, there are some very nice items on offer.

The menu is small, this is ideal for a restaurant this size as a large menu would suggest frozen or re-heated, none of that in sight. I notice the menu has changed since we have visited, a good indication that they use fresh local ingredients.

We both had the same starter, an onion tart with a creamy sauce and a little side salad. I have to be honest and say that I chose this because I didn't fancy any of the other starters but when I tried it I was so glad I did. Probably my second favourite starter of all time (sorry but the haddock goujons at Ardlui are hard to beat), the tart was slightly sweet and the sauce complimented it perfectly.

We both had different mains but both were a beef dish, I opted for a steak while my wife had the roast. This was the only course I wasn't totally pleased with, although it was very nice I had asked for a well done steak, it was well cooked on one side but seared on the other and when cut it turned the pepper sauce pink. I didn't complain as it wasn't so bad that I didn't enjoy it, just not as I would have liked.

My wife's main was similar, again not quite as well done as she would have liked but still very nice.

Desserts were excellent, definitely home made, the banoffee pie is still the best I have tasted ever, someone on the staff has a real gift for making sweets!

All taken into account this was a very pleasant dining experience, the staff were very friendly, they chatted rather than just made comment, a very personal dining experience.

On reflection if we had asked to fix the beef this would probably have been a perfect meal, as it was it was still very good.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Had Dinner and the meal was excellent. However was far excelled by the Atmosphere and a Service second to none. Looking forward to my next visit in May. Thank You for a memorable Evening to all the staff.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Chatters Restaurant offers a dining experience that would be considered top notch in a big city. To find this in a small west highland town is exceptional. Warm friendly atmosphere and staff. Superb food. And a coffee and drinks conservatory that providwes for a relaxing pre- and post- meal experience. Altogether superb and worth visitng Dunoon just to eat there. I think the previous reviewer has either lost their senses or were at a different restaurant.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had an excellent meal at Chatters to celebrate my birthday. I love the fact that you can sit in the lounge with a drink and relax while your meal is prepared, there is always art etc on display which passes the time nicely. After your meal you can either have coffe or another drink at your table but we prefer to go back into the lounge where you can relax again without having to rush.
As always Rosie and staff are very charming and attentive and always make you feel really welcome. The meal as always was superb, a wee thank to to the chef's, who don't always get a mention. If you are looking for something special this is the place to go.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Went to chatters for lunch a few months ago with my boyfriend, the food was very yummy, we only had some soup, sandwiches and dessert but all very tasty. The staff were very efficient and friendly. The restaurant is very cosy and has a nice warm atmosphere also.
Will definately return again!