“Worst room we have ever stayed in....”
Review of Glenmorag Hotel

Glenmorag Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as 1st part of David Urquhart holiday. Very impressive when you first see it.
But whole hotel is very much in need of refurbishing. It had peeling wallpaper, paintwork and not very clean. Not what you would have expected from our first impression.
Tables were so close together in the restaurant that you could hardly move. We have never had such poor quality food especially the breakfast. Perhaps management need to sample their own food?
Stayed in room 19. Beds were uncomfortable, shower intermediate hot and cold, couldn't turn washbasin tap off and it was dirty.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Patacake49

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Was at this hotel with David Urquhart tour. The room we were given was no.65 on second floor lovely view from window. Bedding was clean, towels smelled as if someone had wrapped their fish supper in them. Room decor very run down, bedside lamp covered in thick dust, wall along headboard dirty, long life bulb in overhead light filthy, stains on carpets. Bathroom had wood coming of side of bath, tiles on side wall of bath unclean need a good bleach, wall at back under sink had never been cleaned for how knows how long, same with skirting. Doors had not had a clean black finger marks all over. Our door into room had to be locked as it would not stay closed otherwise. As for meals breakfast was very sparing, dinner was a joke if you like corn beef and salad or baked potato with cheese you would be O.K. We had enough and left tour early and made own way home.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lintyScotland
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Have just returned from a week in the Glenmorag Hotel Dunoon. This Hotel is situated on a hill at the south end of Dunoon. My wife and myself booked into the hotel and were given a room on the 2nd floor to the front of the hotel. The view was excellent over the River Clyde,and the bedclothes and towels clean. The wallpaper in the room was coming away at the seams. However as we were only using the hotel as a base this did not really concern me. The floorboards were very squeaky and the carpet had stains. My wife is coeliac and we took her own Gluten free bread with us and the reception kept it in their fridge for us and provided our needs at breakfast. Breakfast was divided into sections for types of guests.The first time was for the bus tours in the hotel and our(self drive) time was 0830. Breakfast was served by staff and appeared to be very scant.The staff did not appear to understand that being coeliac the food required to be cooked separate due to the dangers of cross contamination. This meant that the only food my wife could have was the eggs. The waiting staff were pleasant enough but with the bus tours breakfast was chaotic. Overall I would say that the hotel requires a full refurbishment and the meals to be buffet style.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank biglofty
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel is situated on top a hill and the entrance is on a slope walking down is ok but going back up is quite a pull and it is quite a walk in to the town. The hotel could do with being refurnished, it is used by David Urquhart and three coaches were booked in, the tv was a portable and had no text or subtitles. The breakfast was poor with little choice of cereals, the full breakfast was served with chopped tin tomatoes. The evening meal was served with frozen veg and only a choice of three main meals, the deserts were either a pudding or iceceam. The service was good and the food was served prompt and the soup was hot. Not sure if I would be happy if I was on a private visit but all in all was good value as part of a package.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank roscwmbran
Mairi M M, Manager at Glenmorag Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Glenmorag Hotel. We are happy to hear that you found the break good value for money. We do offer four choices at dinner - a meat dish, fish dish, vegetarian choice and a salad. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel has seen better days as reflected in the prices.However as long as you know this ,everything else is good value the meals were excellant rooms clean ,staff very friendly.Entertainment both nights was good and we had a few dances to the music,large dance floor if you like dancing,

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank eleanor398

Thank you for your review of the recent stay you had at the Glenmorag Hotel. It is always appreciated when customers take the time to post their comments and we love to hear from guests who have nothing but praise for the hotel and staff. All the staff do their best to ensure that you enjoy your holiday experience with us.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just returned from a 2 nite break at this place. We choose to self drive and not to go on a coach trip. U drive, we sould have U turned. The place is very tired and could do with lots of updating. The receptionist on arrival was very nice and helpful about parking (not a lot of room as there was 3 coaches), she also asked us to select our evening meal, we arrived at approx 2.45pm, I did understand this request later on when I saw lots of people wanting dinner at the same time. The dinner, well were do I start..........lack of choice and poor food and bad persentation. My mum opted for the veggie choice of cauliflower and brocolli bake or mush, (looked like it had been pureed) that was dumped on the plate with some potatoes and tinned or frozen veg on the side. The next day while having a awful breakfast we were asked to select our dinner, for gods sake its 9am, what they hell do I knew what I want for dinner!!!! Anyway another poor choice and nothing that my mum could eatshe is not fussy just does not eat red meat or pork, so we asked if she could have ckicken and was informed that they did not have any, so we ask for a ham salad perhaps????? again sorry no ham, this is a large hotel, whats going on there then.....after the waitress pulled another face, think she must have been afraid of the "chef". We eventually spoke with the manageress who said that she would go to Morrisons and get some chicken, speechless. Anyway the chicken was fine as the chef or as he was known at our table as "the tin opener" did not cook it, the food was just awful, hard crumble, green ruhurb, rubber eggs everything overcooked, I know the avarage age is bout 75 but they should not be puuting up with this rubbish oh just one last thing about the food was that for starters on the Sunday nite was CHICKEN WINGS, for goodness sake my sister and I must have been the only people in there with there own teeth.
The rooms were okay, the staff were mostly not british never mind scottish and most not very nice. No one wore a uniform or badges so we didn't know who was staff and not, even the manageress was not known until someone informed us. The entainment was fine on the Saturday nite but Sunday... not even gona waste anymore of my time on this. Just go somewere else, even if you are on a coach trip or of an older age, especially if if your an older age, you deserve better. The only good thing was the views from our windows, which we paid extra for, I know this was not the most expensive place to go but value for money is not when it is not good. That old say of you only get what you pay rings true.

Room Tip: Go at your own risk.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Carol T
Mairi M M, General Manager at Glenmorag Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Myself and my staff try to make everyone's holiday enjoyable. We are disappointed that you did not feel this to be the case during your stay.

We offer a choice of four main courses at dinner and the majority of our guests are very complimentary about the meals. As you stated yourself I am willing to ensure that all my guests get a meal they enjoy even if it means having to go and buy in something specially if the item requested is not on the menu that night.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went on an Urquhart tour, and it got us away for the weekend, most likely better if you go with friends to make it more of a social event.
The hotel advertised a cabaret weekend with 3 different evenings - rat pack, 60's and musicals, 60's was more cheese and some jokes but pleasant enough, than proper 60's, the rat pack - not sure if the original artiste could not make it but we had a chap that did country westernish style, but it redeemed more on the last night when the singer asked for requests from the floor and sang a range of musical hits and told jokes.
( but not quite the 'cabaret' we had envisaged ) - day trips during the day got us out of the building.
Rooms a bit cold ( it was winter ) but with extra heaters in place it soon warmed up once you switched them on when you returned. Clean with old fashioned furniture, décor had seen better days but if that's all you go for then you'd be better finding a trendy hotel and paying twice the price - Bar had set reduced prices on featured drinks.
Staff helpful and pleasant overall - even if the majority of the serving staff in the dinning room had English as a second language, and sometimes took a little while to get round all the dinners.
( up to you to fill it in with exciting conversation lol ) Food reasonable for the amount paid and enough to fill you up. Welcomed by manager on arrival and farewell 'd at departure
Being vegetarian there was something that I could choose from each night - however at breakfast I often found the scrabbled egg all gone ( basically the only thing hot I could eat ) and had to settle for cereal and toast. ( would have loved some fresh fruit as an option )
The ballroom must have been grand in it's day, but did seem wide and empty - unless people got up to dance ( after a few cut price drinks ? )
Basically it's what you make of it - if you are looking for a wee weekend away with some friends to relax enjoy yourself and catch up then it's fine. - could not see this being a 'romantic' setting, or that suitable for a family trip. I'd say over half the clientele where retired individuals, but everyone was pleasant.
- Would I go back again - hmmm - I wouldn't outrule it altogether - I have paid a lot more and got a lot less in some places - but think this would be better for a cluster of friends to go together.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends