“Looks can be deceiving”

Hunters Quay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
“Looks can be deceiving”
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Was looking forward to staying, at this hotel as we had past it a few time while on holiday at the hunters key village so we decided to stay in Dunoon for an extra night at the hunters key hotel. We were disappointed when we arrived to find out that the restaurant was closed ,so we had to go out to eat . My hubby got a bottle of stella before we got ready to go which was out of date buy 3 months from hotel bar.We came back to hotel at 9pm to find everything closed if we wanted to have a night cap we couldn't so early night was had .got up this morning all sore from very uncomfortable bed,went for breakfast which was ordered for 10am to receive a cooked breakfast that was pinged in the micro it was horrible over all experience of hunters key hotel was crap wouldn't tell anyone to go there and won't be back.spoild what was ment to be a good end to our holiday . They need to let people know that they don't have the facilities that they are claiming don't know how they got 4 star rating.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank charliedanny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have been numerous times to the Hunters Quay with work, and always had a a warm welcome followed by an enjoyable stay. The rooms are very large and all the ones i have stayed in have a fantastic view of the water.

Make sure you stay for breakfast, and make time to sit with a drink in the lounge and enjoy the view.....

Room Tip: Anything with a sea view, there are many good ones!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank honeybadger_13
Glasgow
Reviewed April 25, 2013

There is a lovely calm atmosphere in this hotel, beautiful sea view, our room (no 7) was good for the money £85 inc breakfast for 2 on a Saturday night. Comfy bed, the en-suite bathroom was adequate and clean. Our friends stayed in room 1 which was huge - four poster bed, comfortable seating around the bay window for 4 to 6 people - £125 inc breakfast for 2. The bar area is very pleasant, comfortable seating, open fire for colder days. There are aspects of the hotel that are getting a bit worn, flakey paint work on the windows etc, but nothing terrible. The owner is very nice, friendly and helpful. We asked what time the bar closed and she said when you want, you are the residents - however on returning to the hotel at 10pm on a Saturday night the bar was locked and there was nobody about to ask if we could have it open. We ended up popping to the hotel next door for 4 mini bottles of tonic to have a duty free gin in room 1. Breakfast: very tasty muesli, fruit juice, fruit salad plus the usual full Scottish. I went for all out Sunday greed and went for the full. Breakfast is my only complaint, the bacon was so overdone I couldn't cut it with a knife and fork, the plate was swimming in mushroom juice which made me feel a bit ick, the eggs were overdone and covered in pink peppercorns and the tomatoes were covered in dried oregano, the sausages were good and well cooked. In a full Scottish breakfast there is NO NEED for dried oregano or pink peppercorns to feature at all. There is no restaurant so no food available at night. Would I go back - yes. There is a very relaxing air to this hotel, the French manager was very hospitable also, and he had a very friendly dog who welcomes you too.

Room Tip: Room 1 is worth the extra money, great sea view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I chose this hotel partly because I had been at a party in it some time ago and I knew it would be cool. We were impressed with the relaxed continental approach that went hand in hand with excellent service. It was so much better than a run of the mill chain hotel.The building is spacious and stylish inside and out. I defy you to find any hotel willing to rustle you up egg, saucisson, gruyere and camembert toasties with your Arran beer at 10pm at night. The fruit at breakfast was all fresh, no tinned junk. The room was large and clean, the sea view ticketyboo and the price was just right.

Room Tip: The sea view has to be a winner!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe M
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Returned here for a second visit having so enjoyed our first visit last year. The hotel is simply a haven of peace nestled within a beautifully maintained old victorian villa. Jean-Laurent was warm and welcoming when we arrived and immediately upgraded us to a superior room since it was vacant. He had had the forethought to switch on the radiators sometime earlier since the huge room was very warm and cosy. The huge bed was spotless and, when we slept, we found it very comfortable indeed. The views from this room were stunning and we enjoyed them from the very comfortable sofa. The bathroom was spacious and immaculate. Breakfast was served in the beautiful dining room overlooking the sea. Freshly prepared to our own choice and nicely presented. Freshly baked croissants were a nice touch too. We felt we had very good value for money and will be returning, with friends, at the end of the month for a longer stay. Looking forward to it already.

Room Tip: Room 4 large and spacious with a sofa overlooking the bay. Room 9 a little smaller but still beauti...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I arrived late due to traffic but was welcomed by Jean-Laurent who had stayed up . The hotel is a grand Victorian style building with large high ceilinged rooms beautifully maintained and decorated. The hotel was warm and comfortable and my room was fantastic with views out over Holy Loch and the hills behind ...very tranquil settings and surroundings .
I slept very well every night of my stay in the big comfortable bed . The bathroom was beautifully finished with a great shower which was lovely and hot with a great flow which is important to me in a hotel bathroom.
The hotel has an extensive wine list with some fantastic French wines, unfortunately the restaurant was closed during my stay but the breakfasts were delicious and there is Gillies restaurant at the hotel next door
Jean-Laurent was very attentive and friendly throughout my weeks stay and I cannot fault either the hotel or proprietor .
I fully recommend a stay at The Hunters Quay Hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RogerT-72
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have experienced 3 great days at Hunters Quay Hotel. I had a courteous welcome by the owner Jean-Laurent. He has guided me around the house and told me about its impressive history and architecture. The big, high ceiling rooms radiate an inviting feel-good atmosphere. They all offer spacious bathrooms and large comfortable beds. I chose a room with a stunning view over the Clyde. The house is situated next to the ferry harbour to Gourock and provides a central base for excursions in the gorgeous Strathclyde-Region. I really enjoyed the service, the house and my stay at Hunters Quay.
Michael Hammer