“Fantastic Food”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
Greenock, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Popped over to Dunoon with my girlfriend for a concert on Sunday night (17th March). We decided to grab some food when we arrived. First place we came upon was the Argyll Hotel.

When we stepped in we were welcomed by the General Manager (Dev I think) who couldn't have been more helpful.

We decided to eat in the lounge area where we were looked after very well.

As far as the food was cocerned, I could not have expected any better. My girlfriend had the King Prawn starter followed by the Steak Pie. She said it was absolutely brilliant and I had the pate followed by a chicken Karahi curry which I have to say was out of this world.

Not only did we enjoy the food but the staff were always on hand to help and nothing was too much trouble.

This hotel is only a short ferry trip for me but never realised that they do themed weekends. (haunted hotel, Fawlty towers etc) which the manager was explaining to me and the cost for these weekends are very reasonable. Think this is on the cards for us as well.

If you are in this area I would certainly say a quick bite to eat in here is a must.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johngunn
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your stay with us and the lovely words of appreciation. Team Argyll strives to create this pleasure and comfort for all our guests. The fact that this is exactly what Team Argyll has been successful in achieving makes us happier and more motivated to continue the same endeavour.

Surya Dev

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Booked the murder mystery for my sisters hen weekend. Staff were amazing. Couldn't do enough to help. Service was a bit slow at breakfast but wasn't a big deal. Food was lovely. Murder mystery was so funny. Never laughed so much in my life. Would defo book up again. Can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank niccik123
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

It thrills me to read such great words of your implicitly great stay! Your special mention of the reception desk is very well taken. Since it is the face of the hotel, we expect it to be of the highest calibre. We take pride in our customer service quality and thank you for sharing that it is equally received in a similar fashion.

We look forward to your next visit in anticipation.

S.Dev
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

16 of us went to the Argyle Hotel for my Hen Weekend to participate in the Murder Mystery event. The hotel was lovely, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the manager went out of his way to make us feel very welcome. The food was great, the muder mystery was great and I will be returning at the end of the year. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Arlene K

Glasgow
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We bought a 2 night stay via groupon. Hotel in great location, overlooking sea. We upgraded to sea view room, 101. This had a sturdy 4 poster bed with a partial sea view. Very clean and comfy. Only drawback was that wifi would not work in this room, but excellent at reception. Breakfast basic but tasty. Italian restaurant on site had lovely menu. Portions large and good service. Staff very friendly and offer efficient service. Hotel slightly dated but clean and comfy with good atmosphere. Look out for deals as they are excellent value at this hotel, and upgrade, £40 to sea view.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Gust

I am also grateful to you for your candid feedback. A big thank you for your kind words regarding I made it a priority to share your feedback and let them know of the good service they had provided you. It is refreshing to know that even though you had one bad experience it did not reflect on the staff as a whole which is very encouraging.

Kind Regards
surya Dev
Reviewed March 14, 2013

visited during worst weather ever but great staff and room made up for it. Manager really went extra mile. mothers day cake cutting was the sweetest touch. food great, staff helpful and friendly. looking forward to returning. would recommend highly.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank junedonald
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. We are happy to learn that your stay at our hotel was up to your expectations and that we were able to make your stay memorable by providing you the positive experience we endeavour to give to all our valued guests. We will make sure that your comments are shared to all the Staff. The positive ratings you gave us on Trip advisor are greatly appreciated and we hope we have the opportunity to be at your service again in the near future.

In the meantime if there is anything we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact us directly at 01369 702059 or please email me at dev.surya@sgehotels.com

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards

surya Dev
North Devon, UK
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We chose to stay here mainly because of the location and position, as we were house hunting in the area. We thought we'd push the boat out a bit, and take one of the superior rooms with the view, but on arriving, we were given a room well away from the front, with a view of the sea over some quite shabby rooves. If this was charged as one of the better ones, I'm glad we didn't stay in a standard one!
The Staff were great, however, and the general comfort was good. Breakfast was very hit and miss though, with very little evidence of waitresses, and the repast itself very average. Rather disappointing.
We ate two nights in the adjoining Italian bistro, the first night being very good indeed. I enjoyed my meal so much, in fact, that I ordered the same the following evening. What a mistake! The meal was so different, that I assumes there was a different chef on duty. Pity there was no consistency. The ambience was good, and the staff very friendly and helpful.

Overall, despite my criticisms, it was a nice hotel, and good value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ever_on_the_move
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for writing a very detailed review of our property and services. I am very glad that you view Argyll SGE family as a brand which is very consistent and always delivers

I hope you will not let this one unpleasant altercation play on your mind next time you visit Dunoon as I can assure you that this is not the norm here at Argyll Hotel. Team Argyll will make every effort to change what wasn’t right during your stay this time.
We look forward to welcoming you again in not too distant future.
St Petersburg
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel is very charming. The staff is very friendly and helpful. My room was right out of a old style manor house! It had the most beautiful...and comfy..bed ive ever seen! The GM Dave went out of his way to make sure my stay was wonderful. Also the food in their regular restaurant was extremely good. I did not try the Rio restaurant. I had a car on this trip and drove all over the island its beautiful. And the village of Dunoon is equally as charming. I recommend the eclairs at the local bakery!! And def check out the Dunoon Mug store.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room named The Lamont.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank BHBE
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013