All reviews sea view sister hotel course dinner dining room the ground floor short break coach party table service gb tours cheese and biscuits great value for money first class haggis staff could not have been more coach trip night stay sea front
Selected filters
Reviewed May 7, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here 5th to 7th May 2017 room was amazing with a view, food was outstanding compliments to the chef waiting staff happy and helpful bar staff quick service will definitely be back next year and oh the garden is amazing in the sun thanks to all staff and special thanks to Bernadetta

Date of stay: May 2017
SGEEsplanade704070, Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Esplanade Hotel. Appreciative feedback such as yours inspires us to consistently provide our guests with the superior level of service they have come to expect from our Hotel.

In the meantime if there is anything we can do to assist you. please do not hesitate to contact us on 01369 704070, otherwise you can contact us by email at Esplanade@sgehotelgroup.com

Best Regards

Reviewed May 3, 2017

We stayed for one night only and am I glad....... The staff member on our arrival (7pm), looked totally bemused about our booking.... I don't wish to be derogatory about the staff (All encountered were from Eastern Europe), this young man had little clue about running the bar far less a hotel and he was clearly doing his best to satisfy the clients. Don't get me wrong, He is a extremely nice and helpful young man who was trying his utmost to do everything he possibly could but was left on his own (all on his own for the whole Hotel) to learn on the job... Again in the morning a very helpfully young man and lady to serve breakfast but struggling with little or no support.... Our rooms were adequate and looked relatively recently refurbished, Although the telly worked either the remote didn't work (asked for new batteries) or TV was stuck on one channel and the mattress felt worn and very soft.... left me in agony and the bathroom on the surface that initially looked luxurious was actually shabby and falling to bits (shower head constantly dripped, didn't fit the holder and to make matters worse didn't work) ..... On departing the reception Staff member was best described as morose .... I'm thinking other customers had torn off a strip or two before our presence possibly .....Hotel Parking is deplorable and limited with No parking and keep road clear signs ..... Sorry folks.. The staff on duty tried their very best and I applaud them for their effort but I'll stay in my camper van or tent next time ..... Hotel Owners need to give at least some training and support for their staff

Room tip: try somewhere else
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank vaz21212
SGEEsplanade704070, Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2017

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you took to write your detailed review here on Tripadvisor. We are truly sorry for all the issues you encountered during your stay with us.
At your convenience, please email Esplanade@sgehotelgroup.com so that our Guest Services staff can further discuss your stay. We hope that you will give us another chance so we can prove to you what we are truly capable of.

Reviewed May 3, 2017 via mobile

On arrival the staff were very welcoming but when we got to the room we found no hand soap, when asking for soap at reception we were told that they didn't supply it. While unpacking we put the very small tv on, during the program that was on the sound kept dropping out then coming on & dropping out. We gave this the benefit of the doubt but this happened throughout the night.

The food in the restaurant was cold sent it back but happened time & time again, my rating of the food was very poor.

When we went to bed every time you moved in the bed the springs boinged, the next morning we spoke to reception but were told that nothing could be done as the hotel was full.

The picturesque of the west of Scotland is worth the trip but wouldn't recommend this hotel at al & wouldn't go back.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 2, 2017

I gave this review 2 out of 5: 1 is for the hotel's position and 1 is for the staff we met.
First impressions were a tired but clean looking hotel with minimal car parking. The first room (309) appeared to have been recently updated with bold colour wall, oversized 'leather' headboard but it had a view towards other hotels and a flat roof. The shower did not work, the bath grab handles were loose and rusted. We enquired if there were any other rooms available and were told there may be one available the following day. The dinner was hmm . . OK. The breakfast was good. By the next morning we were undecided as to moving to another room because this one was situated on a quiet corridor with no through 'traffic' but we had a look at what was available. Room 354? is a recently redecorated very large front facing room with a huge bay window and a superb view looking straight down the Clyde, we moved to this room. The shower and heating did not work but were told that due to this part of the hotel having just been re-opened it may take the boiler time to get going. I checked the shower several times and on one occasion I got hot water, only one. The heating however remained less than luke warm throughout our stay. The dinner on the second night, again had vegetarian options but the waitress (Bernadette - she was wonderful) informed me that due to my lactose issue the chef had prepared a special first and main course. My soup had no cream added and was fine the main course was a roast potato, two bits of boiled cauliflower and a handful of carrots. The waitress was mortified at what was served and asked if it was OK, I asked if perhaps a side salad could be added just to fill the plate. She brought back a Gammon salad with my original vegetable dumped on top. I did not eat it and did not eat there the following day. I complained each time to the chap at reception and I think he had heard it all before. Would I go back? NO, do I recommend it? well if you go B & B or enjoy your food cooked in the style of your Great Aunts 1970s dinner party then fine.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
SGEEsplanade704070, Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2017

Dear Guest,

At your convenience, please email Esplanade@sgehotels.com so that our Guest Services staff can further discuss your stay. We hope that you will give us another chance so we can prove to you what we are truly capable of.

Reviewed April 30, 2017

Parking limited - check before you arrive
Room - at the far end of the ground floor the corridor radiators weren't on and our room 346 was very cold. We were given an electric fan heater but that's not quite the point.
Dinner - set menu with limited choices that seemed to run out quickly (at 7.30 no soup, no ham). Food was obviously from catering packs, tasted ok but not the quality I was expecting. No roast potatoes left for us - we had two potato croquettes!! Interestingly, we had to mark our menu choices on the menu on our table rather than having the order taken in the usual way! No offer of wine or drinks, we got our own from the bar. 'Duo of cheese' was a small piece of yellow cheese and a single portion of Philadelphia cheese on three crackers served on a saucer!
Bathroom - only heating was from the towel rail which didn't warm the room. Very small shower and nowhere to put shower gel etc . Primitive controls on shower, just one lever for heat and power.
Breakfast - full English delivered quickly with a good poached egg

Room tip: Ask for one with heating that works!!
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
SGEEsplanade704070, Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2017