“regular business guest”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
Bowmore, United Kingdom
“regular business guest”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I am now a frequent guest of the Esplanade Hitel in Dunoon when I am down with work. I work for the NHS and the hotel is like home from home for me where nothing is too much for the staff who are all extremely helpful and friendly. Strating with Gary the general manager, who cheers you up after a hard slog of a day at work. The rooms are spotless and the food is good, and the waiting staff also cannot do enough for you. I recently had to stay with some young people and again Gary was helpful in getting me suitable rooms so I could keep an eye on them and they were accomodated well in a busy hotel The hotel is predominently used for coach tours but this is no problem as we 'official' folk get our wee private corners and are well looked after. I find it quite entertaining listening to the coach parties talking about their travels.

I will always stay here now when in Dunoon and dread the day they might be full and I can't get my 'room with a view'. On a recent stay I left my gold and pearl earings on the bedside table over a week ago, I just called today and they are sitting safe and sound waiting on me for when I return.

First class service and banter, keep up the good work. Look forward to my next visit. Cheers. Carol

Room Tip: Sea views are good but the updtairs rooms have also been refurbished and are sumptuous.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Carol M
Gary S, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Esplanade Hotel. Appreciative feedback such as yours inspires us to consistently provide our guests with the superior level of service they have come to expect from our Hotel.

In the meantime if there is anything we can do to assist you. please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 01369 704070 or please email me at gary.smith@sgehotels.com

Gary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I booked a single room in The Esplanade Hotel not knowing anything about it. I was pleasantly surprised by my experience. My room was very comfortable and dinner was excellent. There was entertainment supplied in the evening and the staff were very pleasant.

The location of the hotel is perfect overlooking the West Bay and sitting on the immaculate lawn with a glass of wine was just perfect.

I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank 196Jinty

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2014

When we arrived we were disappointed with the rooms we were allocated because we had booked the stay all at the same time but the rooms were at each end of the hotel. I asked if there was anything that could be done to get our rooms closer together. The staff member who helped us was the barman on duty and as the manager was at another hotel he took charge and within 10 minutes had relocated me and my wife across from our friends. The rooms are very comfortable and the facilities are first class. We had an evening meal on Friday, the quality, service and staff were very good , the only small complaint I have is the quantity was just too little for my Scottish appetite. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and I do not hesitate to recommend the Esplanade Hotel for a relaxing weekend or a base to tour the surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: Family rooms are good.
Dear Guest

Look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We booked up with Laterooms.com & were told for £160 we were upgraded to a superior delux sea view room as it was for my husband's birthday I was delighted.On arrival at hotel we were in the small ordinary sea view room that we paid £99 for last year I was very disappointed.I spoke to Gary but hotel was full so we couldn't change room.On our departure Gary has kindly promised us honeymoon suite at discounted rate for my husband's birthday next year so very happy as we have been to the hotel a good few times never have any complaints & it wasn't hotel's fault.Thanks again Gary so appreciate it.I have complained to Laterooms won't book with them again will always go through hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
Gary S, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review. The team here at The Esplanade are alway's very encouraged to hear reviews from guests who have enjoyed their stay with us. Here at THe Esplanade, we continue to imrove on our already high standards of service and hospitality whilst offering genuine value for money. We all look forward to your next visit at the next birthday celebration, or possibly even sooner. I will be looking forward to making your reservation for you.
If at any time you wish to discuss anything about your stay or your future visit to The Esplanade, please feel free to contact me by email at gary.smith@sgehotels.com or by calling direct on 01369 704070.

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Just returned from a lovely weekend break with my fiance at the esplanade hotel, from the minute we arrived the staff could not have been more helpful and attentive. Our room had been recently refurbished and was lovely very clean and modern, the bathroom was outstanding beautiful black glitter walls. The views from the front of the hotel over the sea are stunning (when the sun was out). We had booked for dinner, bed and breakfast, the 5 course dinner was outstanding great selection to choose from and the complimentary bottle of wine on our first evening went down a treat. The waiter Aris was great always ensuring you had everything you needed. Overall a fantastic place to stay and we will be sure to return.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a sea view room this must be asked for in advance and an additional charge is...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Gary S, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago

Stirling Scotland
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My mother in law (The Trust girls ) have just returned from a great week at this hotel.Food was great, staff excellent , special thanks to sonia who was so good and all the staff we will be back.
You will enjoy THIS hotel and staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Gary S, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

We all look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kindest Regards

Wednesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We have just returned from a 5 day stay at the Esplanade Hotel in Dunoon under the management of Gary Smith. As a party of 4 ladies from Wednesbury, we went with open minds as it was our first tour with SGE Travel. Following a rocky start during the booking process (our initial April tour was cancelled) we were apprehensive about whether the tour would be going ahead. However from start to finish, our holiday was fantastic. The driver was very friendly and helpful which made for a very comfortable journey to our destination. When we arrived wh received a friendly greeting from Gary which set the tone of the holiday. Our room was delightful, overlooking the loch and as requested, was light and airy due to my sister being visually impaired.

In particular, the excellent service and lovely atmosphere in the hotel must be attributed to Gary, Sonia, Robert and Karl. Thanks also goes to the young waitresses in the dining room for their attentive service and friendliness all week.

The only negative aspect of our holiday was unfortunately due to fellow passengers on our tour who complained incessantly from the time they stepped on the coach, until they got off the coach at Walsall. I feel it necessary to apologise to all the staff, Gary in particular, on their behalf - for being completely obnoxious. Please believe me when I tell you that we are not all the same from the Midlands area! The most frustrating part of listening to their complaints was that they were totally unfounded - the hotel and its staff could not be faulted.

Thank you for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: No. 50 is an lovely first floor room with an excellent view of the loch.
1 Thank 11Patricia1947
Gary S, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2014