“Comfortable, Cozy, and Friendly!”

Craigieburn Guest House
Ranked #5 of 19 Dunoon B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I stayed at the Cragieburn for three nights as I traveled around Scotland. I contacted Tjapko the day before I was to check in to tell him I would not be back in town before midnight, and to ask him if he could leave the key somewhere where I could find it when I got in. He gave me the key there and then! I stayed in room #9; a small, single room, second floor, center. I had a magificent view of the firth of Clyde. The bed was very comfortable. In fact, I was offered a bigger room after another guest had checked out, but I did not want to give up that bed or the view! I told Tjapko that the purpose of my visit to Dunoon was to visit the Diving Academy in the morning. He drove me to the Academy in his car rather than have me take the bus!
Breakfasts were generous and delicious!
Although smoking is allowed n the rooms, I could not smell cigarette smoke in my room. I am a former smoker, and abhor the smell of smoke, or a room where someone has been smoking. This was not a problem at all in my room.
When I return to Dunoon, The Craigieburn will receive my business again! (If there is a vacancy!)

Room Tip: Room Number 9 is a single room with a top-center view!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Steven A
There are newer reviews for Craigieburn Guest House

Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed here for three nights at Christmas 2011 as we were visiting relatives in Dunoon. The location was great, our room at the first floor was very spacious and clean and the large window was overlooking the sea, very very nice!!
The toilets were very clean and warm (we have a 14 months baby and that was important for his shower time in the evening). The hosts were very nice and helpful, they alllowed us to keep baby's milk in their fridge and to use the microwave at night in case we needed it.
The Scottish breakfast (sausage, eggs..) included was good, there were also apple and orange juice and cereals in case you preferred a "healthier option", which I didn't!!
They also provided a chair seat for our baby.
Note for parents: check with the hosts the availability of a cot if you need one.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Ybnormal79
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The owners of Craigieburn were very nice and friendly, and happy to chat about good places to visit locally. The B&B is situated on the waterfront and has lovely views out across towards Greenock. Breakfast was good and the B&B is clean. However, our room was very small and the bed was so soft that it was uncomfortable. Also, all but one of the rooms are smoking, which means that there is a smell of stale smoke throughout the premises. (To be fair, their website does say that smoking is allowed, so we should have expected this).

Reading other reviews, it looks like other people have had an excellent time: I think we were just unlucky with our room.

Room Tip: Try to avoid room 6 if you can.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
CraigieburnDunoon, Owner at Craigieburn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

While it is the first time we have received comments about this, we are very sorry to hear about the softness of the bed not being comfortable for you; We do however appreciate your constructive criticism. We will take your comments to heart and take action accordingly.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Great family, you feel at home, great food, great everything
I've been here 2 months from Barcelona and I just couldn't ask for more

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Lucasbcn
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Firstly, nothing is too much trouble for Tjapko and Hennie, and they both go the extra mile to make sure that you are happy at the Craigieburn. This was my first time back in Dunoon for 5 years, and I can honestly say that the warmth extended to us by the owners was the best I have ever had staying in a guest house. We had our little cocker spaniel with us, and this was not a problem. The room we had facing the front of the guest house on the top floor was excellent, clean, warm, and even had a little hand basin as well as bathrobes in the wardrobe, what a super little touch! Breakfast was like an all you can eat buffet, with full scottish breakfast served with tea or coffee, As we had so much to eat in the morning we skipped lunch and just had dinner in the evening. It is very much like a home from home and I will be staying at the Craigieburn Guest House again, and just hope it's not in another 5 years time. Full marks to Tjapko and Hennie!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the front of the guesthouse.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jsilverspice
CraigieburnDunoon, Owner at Craigieburn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

Thank you for the kind words and thank you for taking the time to write this glowing review. Very much appreciated and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2011

Called it a home rather that a guest house and it felt like home. Tjapjo and Annie made us feel very welcome. The place was spotless and breakfast was remarkable. Look forward to seeing you soon. Best regards

Stacy Ross sister of Allan Ross

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I spend a night here with my friend just before Easter, and we had a very warm welcome from the Dutch family that runs the guesthouse. The rooms are clean, spacious, the shower is absolutely fantastic, the overall atmosphere at the guesthouse is very tranquil. You're less than 10 minutes from the ferry and the beach, only a few mins from the town. Breakfast was great, Hennie came to check upon us, as I was not feeling too well the previous night. For a reasonable price you'll get all you need and more.

If I have friends over I will definitely take them to Dunoon and hopefully we'll be able to stay with these lovely people again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends