“Fantastic way to spend a couple of hours”

Dinosaur Expeditions CIC
More attraction details
Owner description: Dinosaur Expeditions C.I.C. is a Community Interest Company created by local fossil enthusiasts. We promote responsible fossil discovery and conservation in addition to helping the public understanding of fossils and the palaeo-environment through Palaeoart. To do this we have established the 'Dinosaur Expeditions, Conservation and Palaeoart Centre' at the site of the Dinosaur Farm Museum. It houses displays of fossils, locally produced palaeoart, childrens' activities and a fossil & mineral giftshop.We also organise popular fossil hunting trips throughout the year at a variety of locations on the Isle of Wight, led by our experienced professional guides. Dinosaur Expeditions CIC pools the local knowledge, talents and experience of our Fossil Hunt leaders. This helps to ensure that we can provide a professional quality experience for all our customers. Are you mad about Dinosaurs and other fossils? We are, so why not join us on an amazing Fossil Hunting Adventure! Discover your own fossils and keep all your finds.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

If your family have the slightest interest in dinosaurs/fossils or you'd just like to get them into some fresh air I highly recommend the fossil walk. We were visiting Easter weekend and on the morning of Good Friday before we set off I spotted a review on here. I emailed the website asking if a private tour was possible as i was travelling with my husband (50) and children (23,21,14) and my dog so I knew I'd never have the children anywhere for 9am!! Oliver called back within 10 mins and the tour was arranged for Saturday. We had a wonderful 2 hour walk with Oliver explaining about the fossils, identifying many finds of 'sandstone and flint' but we did find some dinosaur bones!!!! Oliver was a school teacher at one point and I bet he was a great teacher as he is incredibly knowledgeable and passionate about his subject and it was very interesting. Everyone agreed that it was a brilliant idea and was glad that they'd been including the 14 year old who hates to walk anywhere. ! We were only here for a weekend but I know that I will never look at rocks on the beach in the same light again. Did you know that every flint you've ever found was once a creature called a sponge? you will if you go for a walk with Oliver

4  Thank bod1000

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Went with grandchildren 9&13 they enjoyed it looking for sharks teeth and then given bag to take then home
The man explained everything to them all about the work he was doing to make a different model where the items in the cabinets were from and all about the dinosaurs on display they talked about it days after
Very good value

1  Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Having tried to book at the last minute we were very grateful to be able to organise a private fossil hunting trip. Oliver was really knowledgeable and very patient and friendly with the kids who must have asked him to identify hundreds of rocks! We found some great fossils and had a brilliant afternoon. Would highly recommend booking on either a group or private trip and visiting the museum. Oliver kindly let us fill up our drinks bottles with soft drinks available ( we left a donation in a pot on the counter).

2  Thank ccarrie321
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Great value family fun. Fossil hunting on the beach with a very knowledgable guide 'Oliver' was a really awesome day out. All my family enjoyed the experience and our fossil finds are now on proud display at home. This was really good value, we were not rushed during the tour and saw some fantastic dinosaur foot prints. The guide was passionate about the work and I am looking forward to revisiting next time we're on the island. Many thanks!

2  Thank The_Harris_Tribe
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Enjoyed especially by grandson aged 6. Things to find so children become more interested.
Upstairs a hands on room.
Loved the moving dinosaurs