“Highly interesting and Excellent value”

Dinosaur Expeditions CIC
More attraction details
Owner description: Dinosaur Expeditions C.I.C. is a Community Interest Company created by local fossil enthusiasts. We promote responsible fossil discovery and conservation in addition to helping the public understanding of fossils and the palaeo-environment through Palaeoart. To do this we have established the 'Dinosaur Expeditions, Conservation and Palaeoart Centre' at the site of the Dinosaur Farm Museum. It houses displays of fossils, locally produced palaeoart, childrens' activities and a fossil & mineral giftshop.We also organise popular fossil hunting trips throughout the year at a variety of locations on the Isle of Wight, led by our experienced professional guides. Dinosaur Expeditions CIC pools the local knowledge, talents and experience of our Fossil Hunt leaders. This helps to ensure that we can provide a professional quality experience for all our customers. Are you mad about Dinosaurs and other fossils? We are, so why not join us on an amazing Fossil Hunting Adventure! Discover your own fossils and keep all your finds.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I visited the recently reopened Dinosaur Conservation and Palaeoart Centre at Dinosaur Farm near Brighstone as I was passing and saw it was open and have to say that there is a huge amount of interest packed into a very small area and of course you can also book fossil hunting trips too on the nearby beaches (which unfortunately I didn't have time to go on).

The great thing is that most of the bones on display were found very locally and each one has a story to tell and being quite small you aren't overwhelmed by display case after display case and are actually able to take in each exhibit properly.

There is also a brilliant diorama with some terrific models backed by a huge background artwork. Kids will love it. The team there are also reconstructing a huge sauropod which is going to be bigger than the one on display in the Natural History museum when completed.

Its only a few pounds to get in which makes it excellent value - not many places you can take a family of four for under £10! Unless you are also going on a fossil hunting trip you probably only need an hour there which makes it great with the kids going to or from beach trips - I'll definitely be taking our two little ones in the holidays.

1  Thank clarksn

Reviewed July 12, 2013

After reading the reviews on here, I decided to book the expedition for myself, my parents who are 74 and my children who are 5 and 7 and we are so glad we did. The kids really enjoyed it and so did we. I felt very sorry for Oliver who kept being asked by my 5 year old "is this a dinosaur bone" every 2 minutes! Oliver was very patient and just said, "no, keep looking". You wouldn't know what any of the rocks / stones on the beach were unless you did the tour or looked them up on the internet, so it is well worth it. You get to keep what you want within reason! I would definately recommend this to any family with children as it keeps them quiet for 2 hours and it a lot of fun.

1  Thank Jayne H
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Had a private fossil hunt for 4 'senior' ladies on Yaverland beach.Booking efficient vial email and excellent value for 2 hours. Oliver an experienced, informative and enthusiastic guide. We were very fortunate in each finding a bit of dinosaur bone, as well as other fossils.We will be passing these on to inspire younger generations. Beachcombing will never be the same.Enjoyed it so much we hope to visit the Farm and arrange a visit to a different location next year.

2  Thank Jay P
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Firstly I would like to extend my gratitude to the owners of this farm, whom made what could potentially be a relatively ok visit, a very interesting and informative experience (most of the animals are now dead after all...except for the ducklings in the farm). It was very intimate, the tour was interactive and you can tell that the topic was delivered with passion which made the whole thing much more engaging.

I would strongly recommend this attraction for both kids and adults, and if you go on the expedition, you could end up with your own fossil...or at the very least a rock to remember the trip by. :-)

I will definitely be going back to see how this attraction has evolved since there are big plans and potential. All the best to the patrons and wish you all the success with this endeavour.

2  Thank p_lopezy2k
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Unfortunately our expedition was on a wet & windy (and cold !) afternoon so maybe not ideal for very young children - my 3yr old didn't enjoy but my 5 yr old was more than happy to search for dinosaur bones on the beach.
Oliver was very knowledgable - surrounded by adults & children alike clutching their finds albeit none did turn out to be some previously unknown fossil .....
Well worth an hour & half on the beach - you won't walk on a beach again and look at those boring stones in the same light again !

1  Thank jimc66