“Great service, great food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Taverners

The Taverners
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Godshill
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Romsey, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great service, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was on a business trip for 3 days in February 2013 and ate at the Taverners on two consecutive nights; the first night having convinced me I'd struck gold. The young barmaid did a superb job in making me feel welcome and the waiting staff were also very good. On the first night I had a couple of pints of Taverners and the home-made steak and ale pie, which was served with peas and crispy, thick-cut chips - delicious meal and great beer. On ther second night the beer choice was easy (the barmaid remembered my choice from the previous evening) and I was tempted to go for the same meal, but in the end chose the lamb burger, served in a toasted bun with feta (I think) and beetroot accompanied by salad (nice dressing) and, of course, crispy, chunky chips. Looking forward to my next visit.

France
“yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

This has to be the best pub to eat on the Isle of Wight.The dishes are original ,use local ingredients and the portions are plentiful.The pub itself is welcoming as are the staff.We would eat here every night if we could!!

Visited February 2013
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Lovely yummy food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Have eaten here several times and never had a bad meal. The lamb burger and steak and ale pie with chunky chips are particular favourites. Always fresh seasonal produce, variety of specials, friendly staff and a warm welcome.

Visited February 2013
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Always Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My daughter and I ate at the Taverners this evening, and I feel compelled to write a review because of the very negative one written yesterday. We are Island residents and the Taverners is our favorite pub to eat in. We have tried many pubs on the Island and there are lots of good ones, but the Taverners cannot be beaten. We have eaten here on numerous occasions and I can honestly say we have never had a bad meal. The ingredients is always top quality, fresh and as local as possible. The staff look after us very well. Please don't let one negative review, (obviously a one off) stop you from eating at this great pub, you wont regret it.

London, United Kingdom
“I should not have paid for that meal! Worse pub food I have ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have just left the taverners, literally 10mins ago. I'm so disgusted with the food I've just been served & had to pay for its all I can think about on the way back to our super B&B. The after taste of the genuinely worst pub food I have ever had is still lingering.

I understand that the head chef is off tonight & it shows. I went to this pub for dinner as I'm staying on the island. As usual I check all the reviews & tripadvisor feedback carefully. As you can see from my profile I'm a regular & honest reviewer giving praise where needed.

My boyfriend & I are not fussy eaters & our rotund physical attributes only show as a declaration to this! We love good British grub & it doesn't have to be fancy but this meal was truly horrendous. I went up to the bar to try & establish what the hell had gone wrong with tonight's episode. The head chef was off & someone else was cooking. If only I could turn back the clock I would choose somewhere else to eat & save myself the embarrassment & disappointment of a meal my 5 year old niece could of cooked better.

We had, until dinner, had the most wonderful day on the island. I cannot express the utter disappointment we have felt tonight. I should NOT have paid for that meal. We were offered complimentary desserts but refused them wanting to leave as soon as we possibly could.

8 Thank Kate A