“Lovely pub.”

Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Godshill
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We try and visit The Taverners every time we visit the Island but we have not been for over 18 months so it was good to see little had changed, in fact there is a couple of lovely additions including a little shop accessible from the pub containing all things from the IOW. We had a lovely lunch, this is a great pub.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We visited the Taverners in April when holidaying in the Isle of Wight. We found it in the Doggie Pub Guide website as being dog friendly and popped in on the off chance. I had home made mini pork pie for starters a s then the steak pie in suet pastry and I can honestly say it was without a doubt the best pie I have ever eaten. Hubby didn't speak the whole way through his meal because it was so excellent, he also enjoyed all of the real ales they have on offer. A lot of the veggies are grown in their garden out the back and the meat and fish are all local.

We loved it so much we returned the next day for dinner on our last night, despite it being quite a drive from our holiday cottage! Hope we get to go again soon!

2  Thank Pipstar1980
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've seen several really enthusiastic reviews of this pub, so I was both keen to visit and a little concerned: would it be over-hyped? Or would it be a poncified gastropub of the type that's generally popular but that I personally don't particularly like?

Having encouraged my parents to visit with me, I'm delighted to say it was very good indeed: it's still a proper pub, where you can sit with a pint and a paper without feeling out of place, but it's one that does excellent food, based on local IOW produce, at pretty reasonable prices (it's perhaps a little more expensive than some Island pubs, but the quality of the produce and the cooking is more than good enough to justify it). The menu includes both traditional dishes and some slightly more unusual combinations, with more than enough options for my taste - I wanted to try just about everything, which is usually a good sign!

There's also a little deli at the back, selling local cheese, bread etc, and some of the sauces and chutneys made by the pub kitchen so, if there's something on your plate you particularly like, you can take some home with you.

It's a much bigger building than it looks from the outside, with two bars and several seating areas - I'd imagine that it gets rammed in high season but, on a Friday lunchtime in November, it was quite quiet, with staff and customers congregating around the fire in the back bar, making for an atmosphere that was almost clubby, without being at all unwelcoming to non-regulars.

Sadly it's a bit far from me to become a regular haunt, but I'll go back when I can and my parents intend to do the same - we're all definitely new fans!

2  Thank Cat P
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We chose this pub on recommendation but I was so disappointed We were put in the cold front bar when everyone else sat by a roaring fire.The specials board was a real let down as was the main menu.I shan't visit again when there are so many other good pubs nearer home

3  Thank Janis B
Reviewed November 7, 2012

good friendly service..nice wine..good food...
nice atmosphere too.
Local to home which is nice to walk to on a summer evening.