“Good Value For Money.”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
ginavegas
“Good Value For Money.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here August 12-15th. The hotel was great value for money. From the moment we walked in the Manager Ian and all the staff was nothing but helpful and friendly. The location was superb, right next to the beach.I have already recommended it to all my friends. The full English breakfast was always hot and the poached egg was cooked to perfection.We are already getting ready to book next years trip.See you soon.

Mr Smith from London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ginavegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We read the reviews on the Hoel and the one thing we picked up on from other reviews was it was good as a base for an overnight stay and as we were out all day and only needed it as a base we booked two value rooms. The rooms are indeed in need of a revamp, however they were spotless and the bed linen all immaculate and clean towels were left for our second night and the rooms tea/coffee refilled so it was as we expected and if you can see passed the old decor and tables and worn chairs it is clean. The staff are lovely and breakfast was very good. Parking was no issue (a carpark is very close by) and we had no problems with noise. If you are having a drink in the Hotel Bar you do need cash as they do not have a machine but we had cash so that was not a problem. This is not a Hotel you would book for a weeks holiday necassarily but as a base or an overnight stay for a ferry it is ideal and I am sure once the value rooms are redecorated it will raise bar even higher! Also the showers were a little slow to run pressure wise which was a tad annoying but once refurbed I am sure it would be just fine.

Room Tip: If you book a value room bear in mind they are very basic, if you are going to be in the room a fair...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ian J, Manager at The Southcliff, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Guest

thank you for your unbiased and honest review.
these are the types that assist me on what direction is required to refurb the Hotel, as no point spending money in wrong areas!!

I do hope you use us again and I recommend booking a sea view Balcony Double [ask for room 11!!!!!]

Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night going, and returning to the continent. Our coach was late due to traffic, but we had been given the dinner menu by phone, and ordered our meal.We arrived hot,sweaty and bad-tempered due to travelling from Scotland in a coach with no air con. on the hottest day of the summer. But the staff ushered us straight to the dining room before allowing us to go for a wash even.The meal was hot, but dried out.My room, on the 4th floor was not good. There was no phone in the room - what if you were ill overnight?. The fire instructions on the door just told you to make your way out and go across the road. No direction to exit.On our return journey, we filled out menus on arrival, yet the soup we wanted had run out - they had served it to other people, and we were still awaiting our main course when others of our party had finished sweet.We complained about the delay to the waitress..I went to reception and asked for the manager. It turned out that he had heard us complaining as he was doing the cooking nearby. He did not apologise, just made excuses.

Room Tip: Find somewhere more accommodating
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nonymousEH
Ian J, Manager at The Southcliff, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Guest

thank you for the review on the site.
Due to the lengthy delay of the coach, we extended the dinner time so that you would have a Hot meal, rather than Salads that are normally prepared for late arrivals.
The coach operator called and it was agreed to do a comp drink from themselves.
in regards to telephones, I am unsure of any 2 star AA hotel that has these as it is not a legal requirement. Our public pay phone makes £10 per month, and the cheapest business line rental is £12.50 PCM, and all travellers normally carry mobile phones in an emergency. I do appreciate that if you are travelling alone and take ill, it may be difficult to communicate.

Our Fire Officer recently passed our standards, but I will ask him to [again] re check

on your return journey, I never said I was cooking nearby. I said that I passed by.
in regards to an apology, There were 4 guests all discussing between themselves, and I interupted them to see what was going on, as I prefer dealing face to face, not hiding away like some others. I personally apologised to 5 other guests that due to some of your fellow travellers not pre-ordering, stock ran out. we cook fresh produce NOT tins that you demanded., and if I never said sorry to you, then it was unintentional. from your profile picture, I clearly remember you, as you said that you were from Edinburgh and i joked about being from the West. this you found humourous, when in reality, you were angry. that will teach me to make jokes and lighten the mood

once again, I do apologise that my answers or manner comes across as abrubt, as I am normally very polite

Ian Jackson
Manager

Travelers are raving about these Folkestone hotels

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Down at heel but bed comfortable and clean and breakfast fine. All told we got what we paid for - £49.50 for a double, room 24 large room with steps down to bathroom -large old bath with worn enamel and no shower- and then steps down to the bedroom. With a total refurb it could be a lovely room but at the moment it is no more than basic. Good position on promenade, sea front below accessed by funicular or paths down. Ok for 1 night.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Kali222

thank you for the review.
we are slowly working our way through our 75 bedrooms, and I do agree that room 24 would be a fantastic bedroom once completed!

Bury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Third overnight stay . Bit dated but very clean ,nice friendly staff and a great breakfast . this is not the best hotel I have ever stayed at but all in all and with it being so close to the tunnel it is fit for purpose. Chris

Room Tip: sea view great
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CPSait
Mr & Mrs Sait

so glad you chose to return again. hope your trip across the water was enjoyable!

hope to see you again on your next trip

Wellington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Southcliff provides clean cheap no frills accommodation in Folkstone and is ideal for an overnight stay prior to using the channel tunnel. The reception staff were especially helpful.
Breakfast was very good considering our room rate. The location is ideal for a evening stroll with fine views of the french coast.

Room Tip: ask for a seaview
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tuffles2016
Ian J, Manager at The Southcliff, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

good to see that the Staff excelled again on customer service. they do the Hotel and myself proud daily.

I will pass on your kind comments about breakfast to Andriejus [Chef]

ashford kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We staid there for one night on sat night the room was ok we was there for a wedding party and Ian made us all welcome and you could not ask for a better person to look after us the food and room was Devine and the bar staff and also the people serving the food was great I want to thank the lovely young lady that was on the desk and served us drinks at the small bar even no he shift ended 1.5 hrs and still working she was so good the breakfast was so nice to so thank you Ian, bar staff, the lovely young lady, and all others from lee Harris

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank tankey21
Hi Lee

glad that the wedding was enjoyable!

I have been asked how much I paid for your glowing praise, which has now given me ideas!!

anyway, hope you book again!