“Fantastic Value for money”

Grand Burstin Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
Rugby, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Value for money”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I booked this hotel for my parents to stay for 2 night in March while they attended a family funeral. They couldn't have asked for more, for the price they paid £25 per room per night including breakfast they informed me that it was fantastic value for money. Although the hotel is quite tired looking and needs a lick of paint they could not fault anything. The room was very large with a double bed, sofa bed, easy chairs, TV and Tea and coffee making facilities, with a shower to die for! The bed linen was exceptionally clean and pristine white with not a mark on it. The breakfast set them up for the day with a huge range of foods including fresh fruit and yoghurts plus all your regular english breakfast items, along with as much toast you could eat.
They also asked for a sea view and this was granted without hesitation - the view was quite superb.
On check in they found they had only one set of towels and when they stopped by reception and asked for more the receptionist went immediately and put more sets in the room with spares in the wardrobe should they be needed!

All in all a good hotel and great value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We went on a three night coach break over Christmas. When we got to our room it was clean but the bath was very dirty - I had to go to reception and tell them. A girl came up about an hour later with cleaning stuff which I took and cleaned the bathroom myself . Apart from that everything else was okay ,you could not fault the food or entertainment. One problem was that some of the guests were on a 99p drink offer and the bar staff,who were very thin on the ground anyway, found it hard to cope and there were very unacceptable queues at times. It is a very large hotel and somewhat impersonal but for the price it was more than adequate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This Hotel is a bit run down but the staff are great food is good easy to get to Dover we went there for his 65th Birthday the Hotel has a Spare but we did not use it but accessable for poeple with disabities as I have a Broken foot and put these to a test the Hotel looks over the Harbour It has a nice view

Room Tip: The rooms are of good size but tv is portable cannot not see did not have a view but whom wants to l...
1 Thank Elaine C
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Bursting Hotel in Folkestone for two nights all inclusive On a short brake coach tour, our bed room was amazing, very clean and the beds, well I could have taken them home they were so comfortable , The reception staff were very helpful and friendly as we're most of the restaurant staff , it was self service and the quality of the food was average but some of the plates and desert bowls after been through a dish washer left a lot to be desired as there were marks still on some of them, when I pointed this out to one of the waiters he just laughed at me when I told him it needed to go back in the dishwasher .

The bars staff were a bit of a letdown, I was amazement the way he passed me my drink he handled the top of the glass by the rim, and when I was told I had to pay for a fanta I was informed this was to pay for as it was not include in the "All inclusive price" only soft drinks were ,I found this a little misleading, yes I would stay here again but would recommend one to upgrade to use the Victoria restaurant. The restaurant we used , The Harbour left a lot to be desired as far as general cleanliness as far as some of the work surfaces are concerned (there are two restaurants in the hotel)

Room Tip: we were on the first floor and can only add if the rest of the bedrooms are as good as ours was the...
1 Thank John T
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here whilst on business.

Room was in need of decoration, ceiling tiles mismatched and differing shades of yellow/brown.

Had to call housekeeping to clean room and bathroom before settling into my room

Food was poor - ended up eating out despite having the dinner/bed and breakfast package.

Room was above function/ballroom, and incredibly noisy until late into the night.

Needless to say I stay elsewhere when on business in Folkestone

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Folkestone hotels

huddersfield
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Just back from our second trip to this Hotel with National Holidays. Once again we found it to be extremely good value for what we paid. Our room on the 11th floor was clean and comfy and we found using the high speed lift was no problem as it seemed quieter than the other two. The weather was very cold but the heater in the room was efficient and soon had it nice and toasty! We had no complaints with the meals, to be fair, if you couldn't find something you would have to be rather fussy. The dining room does get very busy but really thats to be expected at a ~Hotel of this size. ~Last time we stayed here we were on the first floor and found that much noisier than the room we had on the 11th. Another bonus for us was we were allowed to smoke......which is very rare these days, plus there was a complimentary bottle of wine. It has to be said that overall the Hotel does need some general updating but then I suppose the prices would have to go up and as we only paid £99 for four days, inc. trips to Bruges and Canterbury I am amazed that National manage to make any money!! Another bonus were the free drinks vouchers, four each per day, so generally speaking, excellent value.

Room Tip: From our experience the higher floors are quieter than the lower ones. We had a view overlooking the...
Worthing
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The hotel is in desperate need of a complete upgrade. Upon arrival we parked our car underneath the hotel. The ceiling was full of leaks, acidic water dripped and flowed onto our car for two days and nights. Once in the car park, we had to reverse out as there was no traffic flow or turning area. Outside the main hotel doors were around 30 people smoking cigarettes. We had to fight our way through them with our cases. The smoke was very obvious inside all the downstairs rooms that we went in during our stay. Receptionist did not welcome us, handed us a key and that was it. I asked when the gym opened each morning and was told 9am - we wondered what the point of that was as we would be out for the day or eating breakfast by that time. The lift worried me greatly, built I can't imagine when and it didn't feel safe at all - we had a laugh with other guests about it.
We had booked a family room, hoping for a bit of space, but our room was a double with a set of bunk beds squeezed up one end, preventing us from seeing out of the window!
The room itself was very drab, in need of redecoration although it was very clean - really the chambermaids have worked wonders here with very old carpets and bathroom fittings. The water pressure was so savage the whole bathroom got drenched when I turned the tap on for the first time. We slept pretty well, comfy bed and very clean sheets. We had to find our own towels which were inside the wardrobe for some reason. The shower was nice and hot but very old and shot water between the plastic curtain and the wall, all over the toilet and floor.
In the bedroom there was a mirror on the wall up the wrong way - horizontally so that if you sit on a chair your head is chopped off. There was no other mirror. Why isn't this mirror just attached to the wall vertically? Because of damage to the wallpaper and table, we could see that other guests have removed the mirror and turned it around.
Breakfast was so bad that we ate in a local cafe on the second morning even though we had paid for breakfast. A staff member walked straight past us, standing obediently at the sign telling us to wait to be seated, just ignored us. Her friend thought this hilarious but we were unimpressed. Her friend laughed as she said, you can sit where you like. The dining room was like a bad old fashioned holiday camp. We found a quiet table and a very rude young man told us we were not allowed to sit there but couldn't say why. We saw this happen to several other people. The coffee was not coffee, we have no idea what it was. The fried eggs were hard, bacon fatty, we dare not try the sausages. None of it was properly hot. I couldn't find juice and there was no butter anywhere near the toast machines. As we left the dining room, we stopped to peruse a large picture of what looked like a fantastic breakfast - apparently available at this hotel!
When we checked out we were not asked whether we enjoyed our stay or anything. I said I'd like to check out please, and the guy said I just need your key. So i handed him the key and he just turned away.
Wholly unimpressed with this shower, I have learnt a valuable lesson about researching hotels more thoroughly in future. This really ruined my birthday.

3 Thank Stef_Dave