“Fine dining Corporate event”

The Palm Court at The Grand
Ranked #57 of 226 Restaurants in Folkestone
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dymchurch, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fine dining Corporate event”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Would like to thank the grand hotel and the staff especially the deputy f & b manager Shane. We have been coming to the grand hotel a few times since coming from Spain, and was very impressed. With this old building, we didn't think to hold our corporate fine dining event here but was recommended, it was very easy to organize it with the events staff and was very well manage on the day,since the event I've had many people say what a wonderful time they had, as many people don't seem to write reviews unless they have had bad events,I've decided to take some time to tell you, you have a wonderful team at the grand and we will be booking again next time.

• Visited May 2013
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
It’s a very great pleasure to have received your feedback and I thank you for using this site to recommend our professional and hard working events team. I’m also very sure that Shane Lawrence our Dep. F&B Manager will appreciate your comments as much as I do.
Thank you again for the review and I look forward to your next event with us at The Grand.
The Grand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Wrong choice!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I just came from a corporative dinner I organized for my staff and we requested an Indian Menu. The bad experience started the very first day we went there to book the party, the cold and distracted receptionist just changed his face when I mentioned more than 20 people. Still we booked and paid a percentage of the total balance for the reservation, but later I had to go back because they demanded the rest of the money 1 hour before the party. Nobody knew what their colleagues said and always contradicted each other.
The party was prepared in a big hall with a big table which seemed too big for the group just because we were left by ourselves. The food was poor prepared and varied. The portions seemed to be calculated to every single gram and though two people failed, we felt we haven't enough. Nobody showed to ask how things were going, if we needed something or just to make extra businesses, I mean try to sell drinks or something not included?
The only good thing was when we decided to left the room looking for drinks and this Italian waiter treated us like real guests being a gentleman and simultaneously an entertainer.
The company has these kind of events maybe 10 times a year and always looking for the right place for these events, but I think they're not interested. First and last time!

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank HOC999
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear HOC999,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit here at The Palm Court at The Grand. Whereas I am very sorry that there were some aspects of your experience that you were disappointed with I am equally disappointed with the feedback from my staff and other patrons during the evening with regards to your parties conduct. I must make it explicitly clear that The Grand does not tolerate drunken behaviour and I am very pleased with the actions of our duty manager and team on the night in managing your guests; Angelo, our duty manager also notes that your party raised no concerns during their visit, even when asked.
Our premises was more than happy to accommodate all of your parties specific menu requests at such short notice, however under the circumstances and in retrospect I feel that my team managed your booking with the upmost professionalism enjoyed by the entirety of our patrons 365 days a year.
I do thank you for the kind words regarding our F&B Supervisor, Angelo, and look forward to passing the complement to him.

Dover, United Kingdom
“Breakfast family celebration in yesteryear settings”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Grand is exactly that. What a venue and what setting. The food is very good the service really good. I really have to say if you haven't eat here why not. This really is a step back to how service must have been once. The two for twelve pound is astonishing value. Then go for a stroll along the marvellous leas. Cannot speak highly enough about the place.

• Visited April 2013
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Duncan H,
Thank you for an absolutely fantastic review one that I will take great pleasure in passing to Abdul our Food & Beverage Manager and Tony our Head Chef (and teams).
The quality of food and service coupled with our market competitive pricing makes The Grand a very popular destination within the area and I thank you for taking the time to review it.
Abdul, Tony and myself look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand in the future,

The Grand
“Cold restaurant, toast just warm bread, argumentative staff.”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Firstly no heating on, it was quite cold. Order breakfast which is normally veey good but they got the order wrong. Then the toast was just warmed bread so had to sent that back. Service was tiresome with the waitress almost disputing any requests such as for a tea spoon for grapefruit...

1 Thank Nilanakesra
Dear Nilanakersa,
Very many thanks for taking the time to review your recent breakfast experience with us. Both Abdul our Food & Beverage Manager and myself are very sorry that this visit did not live up to the high expectations you have based upon previous visits.
We are discussing your feedback with the Food & Beverage department to ensure that it is learnt from.
In the meantime please don’t hesitate to contact me at The Grand directly to discuss your points further.
It is only through honest feedback such as this that we can improve and we look forward greatly to welcoming you back to the property.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday lunch”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Took my mum here for her birthday on Sunday. They were busy due to a wedding the previous day so we had to wait half an hour for our table. Food excellent but plates for main course not cleared for too long a period. Otherwise remains a great location for a good Sunday lunch.

• Visited April 2013
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear loisj961,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. The Grand is an extremely popular venue for both Weddings and our gourmet Sunday lunch and I am very sorry that this impacted your time with us.
I am pleased that notwithstanding the bustle of the other guests on the day you did enjoy your lunch and I hope to welcome you back to the property in the near future.
Finally please wish your Mother a very happy (and belated) birthday from all of us here.