“Great Sunday lunch”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Took my mum here for her birthday on Sunday. They were busy due to a wedding the previous day so we had to wait half an hour for our table. Food excellent but plates for main course not cleared for too long a period. Otherwise remains a great location for a good Sunday lunch.

Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear loisj961,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. The Grand is an extremely popular venue for both Weddings and our gourmet Sunday lunch and I am very sorry that this impacted your time with us.
I am pleased that notwithstanding the bustle of the other guests on the day you did enjoy your lunch and I hope to welcome you back to the property in the near future.
Finally please wish your Mother a very happy (and belated) birthday from all of us here.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

A la carte lunch date with family. Good company and good service in an almost deserted restaurant with fantastic sea views. Attentive staff, but the young waiter didn't seem to know much about the specifics of a rather unexciting menu and had to keep 'going to check'. He was very helpful though. The food itself was fairly basic and unimaginative and the house red was definitely 'an education' A request for some peppercorn sauce to augment one stringy steak (the other was fine) resulted in the presentation of an unusual concoction, the exact chemical composition of which remains unknown. Grubby glasses and cutlery would have benefitted from a quick check before they were presented at table.
A heavily water-stained and rather weird ceiling - it seemed unable to decide if it was a grass hut or a tropical canopy - began leaking water just beyond our table. A bucket and towels appeared and our meal was accompanied by a loud rhythmic drip for a while. Strategically placed small electric heaters added to the warmth of the sunshine through wonderfully panoramic windows overlooking the esplanade and sea. Certainly a unique and oddly enjoyable dining experience. Could have been worse at £23 pounds a head excluding the wine. A great venue, faded, yet strangely splendid at the same time. Can't help feeling that they have all it takes to produce something much better though. Even in a recession it's not difficult to properly clean spoons and glasses and get a little creativity into the food.

2  Thank Trickpsyclist
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Trickpsyclist
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Palm Court here at The Grand. I am sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations and I have investigated all of the points that you raised with Abdul our Food & Beverage Manager who is also disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit.
I am sorry to say that the recent extreme weather conditions have a detrimental effect on our glass house ceiling; we are attending to this as weather permits but i would assure you that the situation is in-hand.
I hope that you return for a visit in the future so you have the opportunity of experiencing all of the various dining and entertainment facilities and promotions that we have on offer in the property as I am sure that you would find this to be extremely good value for money.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a party of 6 for the Sunday Carvery last weekend. As always the food was excellent, and service just perfect. Wonderful elegant building with spectacular views over the Channel make this a really pleasurable experience.

1  Thank Anthony B
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Anthony B
Thank you for your wonderful (and second) glowing review of The Palm Court, The Grand.
I am pleased that our service and food offering is still as impressive to you second time around and will take great pleasure in passing your comments on to the team.
My team and I look forward to your next visit,
TO VISIT OUR MAIN TRIP ADVISOR SITE, SIMPLY ENTER “GRAND HOTEL” IN THE SEARCH BOX ABOVE

Reviewed December 8, 2012

The location of the restaurant, at the top of the cliffs, with the French coast in the distance is the first good surprise. Then the victorian style, well preserved, with a pianist playing whilst you have your lunch or dinner is another great feature. And the last comment will of course go to the food (this is a restaurant after all...) : the food proposed is varied, cooked to the order and always comes in a lovely presentation. Altogether, a restaurant that I recommend very warmly.

Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Lasbareilles C
If I ever had to write the opening description of The Grand I would probably look to plagiarise your review as it succinctly identifies the finest features of the property.
My team and I are very pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to your return.
All that remains is for me to thank you for your review, so thank-you.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

A Grand place to hold a christmas event. Many people had the same idea and were all enchanted by the surroundings within. Tables set beautifully, candelabras as centrepieces, service polite and food excellent. Below stairs, the evening extended to a spacious bar area and adjacent dancefloor. This venue would be wonderfull to hold a wedding reception, packed with history , and a photographers delight.

Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Palm Court at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Kentfolk,
Christmas is our favorite time of year at The Grand and im pleased that our sentiment has been echoed in your review which amply identifies the Christmas experience with us.
My staff and I look forward to your next visit with great anticipation.