“So disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gringos

Gringos
Ranked #35 of 568 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: GRINGOS HAS BEEN SERVING MEXICAN FOOD FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS IN THE TOWN CENTRE OF HUDDERSFIELD, OVER THE LAST 12 MONTHS WE HAVE EVOLVED INTO THE MEXICAN SMOKEHOUSE WE ARE TODAY. BUYING INTO ONE OF AMERICAS BEST SMOKERS THE "FAST EDDIE" WE NOW DO A FULL RANGE OF SLOW COOKED SMOKED MEATS TO ENJOY ALONG SIDE OUR BEAUTIFUL MEXICAN CUISINE. COME AND ENJOY WITH FREINDS OR FAMILY IN OUR ATMOSPHERIC & VIBRANT RESTAURANT.BE WARNED, COME HUNGRY!!
“So disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was so excited to go to Gringos tonight for the first time with my boyfriend as I absolutely love Mexican food! We booked a table for 6 and when we arrived it wasn't that busy but took a while for us to be attended to and the man who seemed to be the manager didn't seem interested. Once we were shown to our table we were surprised to find that all the tables seemed to be extremely crammed in with little space between. But we tried not to be put off and the waitress was helpful with my order as I have a wheat intolerance so she explained what was gluten free. We ordered prawn fajitas and a chicken enchilada with a side of retried beans. When it arrived everything looked lovely! However it was a bit disappointing to find that the enchilada had hardly any tortilla and was covered in an overly thick layer of cheese... Also my fajitas had been brought with flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas (so contained gluten). Once we eventually got the managers attention he did not come over to see what the problem was but simply cocked his head to the side almost as if to invite me to shout my problem across to him which was embarrassing. After about 5 minutes the heat in the restaraunt also started to become ridiculous and my boyfriend began feeling really faint. Due to this he couldn't eat his meal so I told him to wait outside whilst I got the bill. After another ten minutes my corn tortillas eventually arrived and I asked the chef to notify the manager that I needed my bill. But noone came over and I had to ask a waitress to box up my food and settle the bill. Now I am home we have opened the boxes to find that the flour tortillas have been packed! To say I am angry does not cover it and I am thankful I am not a coeliac as this would have meant I wouldn't have been able to eat the prawns it had touched too!
Not impressed and doubt I will return here.

Visited June 2013
7 Thank Ask_Ellie-Mae

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Super as usual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

It's been around 8 years since we have been and just as good as it ever was. Food was top notch, ate too much as usual and rolled home.

• Visited June 2013
Halifax, United Kingdom
“They forgot the starters.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Appearance kinda simple, not quite rustic but seemed to work. Staff greeted us quickly and found us a table. It’s more a case of grab someone when they passed to order rather than a more structured approach to waiting the tables.

The food was overall okay, chilli nachos needed a bit more chilli and the fajita’s were good, not brilliant. However we did have to wait for the starters, and then remind them as it was clear our order had been missed. Would probably return but only if it was a group kind of event and as a stopping off point on an evening out.

• Visited June 2013
west yorkshire
“Nice Food too small a venue”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I really like the food at Gringo's but find it a little squashed up. Environment is ok but again would be better if there was more space.

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
“Probably my favourite restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Nothing to complain about here - everything is wonderful.

It is especially good value before 7pm. (2for1 on a selected brilliant menu)

And what keeps me going back is that if you go with an odd number of people, instead of 2for1 they have halved the food bill for us, without batting an eyelid- which obviously they don't have to do, but it has kept our custom for years.

It's good to know that by going as a three or a five you're not losing out

• Visited May 2013