“Sugar overload”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Gringos

Gringos
Ranked #33 of 572 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: GRINGOS HAS BEEN SERVING MEXICAN FOOD FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS IN THE TOWN CENTRE OF HUDDERSFIELD, OVER THE LAST 12 MONTHS WE HAVE EVOLVED INTO THE MEXICAN SMOKEHOUSE WE ARE TODAY. BUYING INTO ONE OF AMERICAS BEST SMOKERS THE "FAST EDDIE" WE NOW DO A FULL RANGE OF SLOW COOKED SMOKED MEATS TO ENJOY ALONG SIDE OUR BEAUTIFUL MEXICAN CUISINE. COME AND ENJOY WITH FREINDS OR FAMILY IN OUR ATMOSPHERIC & VIBRANT RESTAURANT.BE WARNED, COME HUNGRY!!
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Sugar overload”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Gone totally downhill since our last visit, my starter of mussels came swimming in an extremely sugary sweet and chilli sauce which spoiled it, then to top it off my main of vegetable fajitas came swimming in an even sweeter version of the starter sauce and to add insult which Mexican restaurant doesn't have guacamole on the menu?

It’s a good job I’m not diabetic or I might have risked going into a hypoglycemic coma. I mentioned my complaint to the waitress who said the chef said that’s just how it comes.

I’ve eaten out and cooked Mexican from authentic recipes at home for years and this sugar sauce is an unusual version of any Mexican food I’ve ever had. My lips stuck together every time I opened my mouth to speak.

Never again!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank CuriousJT

“Perfecto!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Every time I've been to Gringo's the service has been brilliant! There's an amazing vibrant atmosphere!! The food is absolutely delicious, I've never not enjoyed a meal here, everything is always spot on cooked to perfection and presented perfectly!!Definitely worth the price, and then some!! Think it's fair to say that I ♥ Gringo's! Would definitely recommend!!

York, United Kingdom
“Great once again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We love this place. Mum daughter and I went for early doors again. Had fab nachos, fajitas and enchiladas for mains. Pudding for mum and they threw in free ice cream for my daughter. Including drinks it only came to £25!!! Brilliant.

Brighton
“Great little secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

A good friend of mine introduced my to this little beauty a couple of years ago and I recently returned at the weekend and have to say that I reckon it's got even better. It's a bit tucked away from the town centre, but it's definately worth seeking out. Authentic Tex-Mexfood, great attitude form the serving staff and above all loads of character. Really recommend checking the specials board, I had a the best seafood gumbo I've had since I last visited the Picante grill in London: the sauce not to rich, the seafood cooked tenderly. This lots got passion for food in spades.

• Visited February 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Not great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Having heard good things about the restaurant, I booked a table to celebrate my birthday (something I stated in my booking request). We arrived a little early and were asked to wait for our table to be prepared - fine, not a problem. What was a problem was seeing 7:45 roll past, having to wait 30 minutes after my booking time to be seated and see people who entered the restaurant after us, with tables booked later than ours being seated ahead of us. The staff didn't talk to us, apologise for the wait or attempt to keep us informed. We had to ask twice what was going on before we got an answer.

When we sat down, the food took a long time to arrive and then they got one of our party's order wrong, which was taken back. Again, there was no communication about what was going on or how long it would be. By the time it arrived correctly, many of us had already finished. We were told that the item would be free of charge, yet when the bill came it was present and we had to dispute it.

All in all, the food was fairly decent and I'm sure the venue has a nice buzz and atmosphere, but having started badly and coupled with the poor service, my experience was disappointing. I could forgive having to wait for tables and food if the place was packed, but there were a number of empty tables so it's not like the staff were rushed off their feet and that would in no way excuse the poor service that we received. I doubt I would go back.

• Visited February 2013