“Regular lunch visits”

Ranked #8 of 25 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
Elland, United Kingdom
“Regular lunch visits”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I work nearby so regularly go to this pub for lunch visits (especially in Summer to sit in the lovely beer garden).

Atmosphere is lovely and has recently been refitted with extra seating so this is great. As I said lovely outside area with plenty of seating.

Food is lovely but overpriced and not consistent. Portion sizes great but would like to pay a few pounds less!

Staff are polite and attentive never had any problems with them but may be something to do with being regulars.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LauraW88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Rooms very clean and comfortable. Quite small but absolutely fine for a quick overnight stay.
Good to see free wifi although O2 reception good anyway.
Had to wait a while to order breakfast (after I went and found a staff member) once it arrived it was of good quality

Overall a great place to stay while on business. I have stopped in a lot worse hotels and paid a lot more for the privilege.

1 Thank Mbusiness2012
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Table of eight. Pub was quiet on Monday. Food was good but forgot some of it. Little bit expensive menu and in particularly starters not good value. Could be so much better I am sorry to say. Waiter was really helpful and I suspect let down by kitchen as food also came in bits

1 Thank Mark G
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife, daughter and I had visited The Foxglove on a number of occasions, and we have until today, overall been pleased. The welcoming has always been warm and friendly, pleasant surroundings, excellent location, and the food tasty and wholesome.

On this occasion, we were disappointed. We were shown to our table by I think Terry who is the Manager, and then we were passed over to a colleague who would be looking after us. I noticed immediately that when taking orders, he did not write anything down - no matter how large the group. I did find this strange and I did wonder how he managed to get all the orders correct. I then thought that as he must do this every day, perhaps he had a good memory. Sadly this proved to be not the case.

We ordered drinks and our meals. There was short wait when the colleague came back to confirm that our order had been lost behind the bar, and could we remind him what we had ordered. We then had a short wait until our main meals arrived. To be honest, they looked great - trouble being that my main meal was the wrong one! I had ordered pork and turkey had arrived. I immediately pointed this out and was assured another meal would be with me in around 5/10 minutes. I guess this was ok but the point being is that my wife and daughter were happily tucking in to theirs. As promised the meal did arrive. At which point I asked if I could have a small pot of gravy. This also did not arrive. What I noticed is that when the meals were being served, all the other tables were asked if 1. would they want any sauces 2. was the meal ok? I was disappointed to say that this did not happen to us and so I had to ask for the sauces. Having said all this, the meal itself was good. My daughter had a strawberry ice cream, and then we left. I just don't agree to paying £40 for a meal and having poor service. It sort of spoilt the meal/ambience/atmosphere. Having been on a number of occasions before, I can honestly say we are wondering if we will ever go back.

As we left, interestingly the table next to us did also complain as he had been served a cold steak. The pub was busy, but this is no reason to serve sub standard food with poor service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AlexKrycek

Travelers are raving about these Huddersfield hotels

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

First of all the room is OK, nothing better, try "The Woodman" at Thunderbridge first for price, used to be good value, but has been refitted.
Rooms are in a separate block to one side, clean, tidy, on the small side, but comfy bed, good pillows and a decent if noisy shower.
The problem as ever with the Vintage Inns is the food. I know it isn't dining out quality cuisine, the problem is they think it is!
I had the "large" portion of Risotto, good scallops but obvious cook/chill rice and peas, very small, if you HAVE to eat here have a burger, about the only thing probably cooked from scratch in the place, reasonable portion and decent value, but £11.95 for what I got was a rip off.
Friendly staff, nice atmosphere in bar, try and get a cheaper deal than we got (£59) but overall would stay again but would avoid the bar food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank David H
Reviewed April 14, 2013

It looked lovely the room was clean and a good standard apart from the lamps didnt work and the pillows were like rock. These were things we were prepared to overlook but when it came to the standard of customer service in the morning it was truly appalling. I will not go into the catalogue of errors that made up our meal experience, it would take too long. I would never go back and was left feeling very angry ( a rare thing for me.) I did sympathise when the waitress told me she was on her own on Sunday mornings. The hotel was full and she clearly couldn't cope. Innkeepers lodge need to invest in their staffing levels and training in customer service and communication skills so that there is a minimum service standard. In contrast, the chap who had booked us in the previous evening was excellent. Employing polar opposites is unhelpful as a guest I want a reasonable standard of customer service regardless of who is serving me. When I leave I want to think how nice it would be to return, unfortunately on leaving in this case I vowed never under any circumstances to return. Innkeepers lodge clearly don't want repeat business. Such a shame. It could have been such a nice stay.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I thought we would try a meal at the Foxglove, The pub was quite busy, cosy tables and a pleasant atmosphere, The staff very friendly, good attentive service. Can't fault the staff,
We ordered fish pie and a chicken and ham pie, I was very disappointed with the very Small fish pie, lots of mash potatoes, shrimps and fish in a white sauce, the menu stated smoked haddock, salmon, Atlantic prawn and white fish in a dill sauce, my fish pie was minus the smoked haddock and salmon, I think they missed the dill out of the sauce. It was served with very tired looking salad leaves with 3 very small pieces of dried out raw carrot. My husbands meal wasn't any better, his pie was twice the size of mine, but once you cut into the puff pastry crust there was very little underneath, served with very poor oven chips and over cooked peas. Over priced and disappointing meal, we will not returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huddersfield
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
#4 of 17 in Huddersfield
Old Bridge Inn
Old Bridge Inn
#1 of 1 in Holmfirth

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Huddersfield, Kirkburton? Share your experiences!