“Very disappointed”

Innkeeper's Lodge Huddersfield, Kirkburton
Ranked #6 of 19 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I thought we would try a meal at the Foxglove, The pub was quite busy, cosy tables and a pleasant atmosphere, The staff very friendly, good attentive service. Can't fault the staff,
We ordered fish pie and a chicken and ham pie, I was very disappointed with the very Small fish pie, lots of mash potatoes, shrimps and fish in a white sauce, the menu stated smoked haddock, salmon, Atlantic prawn and white fish in a dill sauce, my fish pie was minus the smoked haddock and salmon, I think they missed the dill out of the sauce. It was served with very tired looking salad leaves with 3 very small pieces of dried out raw carrot. My husbands meal wasn't any better, his pie was twice the size of mine, but once you cut into the puff pastry crust there was very little underneath, served with very poor oven chips and over cooked peas. Over priced and disappointing meal, we will not returning.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Firstly I apologise for not having a photo to share.

Bec and I visited on Easter Thursday (if there is such a thing) with her grand mother. The car park is very steep - I'm pleased we didn't go a week later or it'd have been a drive through lol. Almost as soon as we entered we were greeted by somebody who seemed surprised that we hadn't booked. I'm not sure if that was just because they had lots of reservations or because it is a reservations only place but either way she was nice enough to locate a table which wouldn't be needed for a while and allowed us to seat.

The interior is nicely decorated although dark and quite hot. They've done their best to lighten the place up with internal windows to spread the light but really their location at the bottom of the hill and the way the building faces hamper their efforts. As for the heat there is little that can be done. The coal fires are a lovely feature but you'd have a hard time turning the temperature down lol.

On browsing the menu I noticed very few vegetarian options but the ones that were there sounded nice. I chose the three cheese and potato pie with Mediterranean roast vegetables, and Bec and her grand mother both chose the gammon.

I am re-writing this section of the review having upgraded my rating from 4 to 5. I originally gave 4 because of the lack of vegetarian options but whilst writing I was thinking about how nice my meal was and decided to delete and replace with this. Although vegetarian options are few, the one I chose really did make up for that. It was lovely. The pastry was nice and really thick - just the way I like it. The mix of cheeses and potato was spot on, and the roast veg was lovely too, including roast courgette (I think) which I'd never tried before but was really nice. The pie must have been home made because I doubt you would ever find anything of that quality in a box from the supermarket. I could have easily eaten every bit of that again.

Bec's and her grand mothers meals looked nice too and apparently they were. The gammon looked very moist and well cooked (well as in with talent, not over done). Even their grilled pineapple which Bec didn't eat (I did though lol) was perfectly done.

To follow Bec had a Belgian chocolate brownie and I CHOSE the rhubarb creme brulee but received apple crumble. It was a little loud with a family who were just been seated so her mis-hearing me is understandable and I like apple crumble too so I didn't say anything.

This is where we have one point to make - speed of service. We were waiting a while for our main course and the desert which anywhere else is usually quite fast, we waited about 25 minutes for. When we did receive our deserts it was clear they had been standing for a while because the ice cream on Becs brownie had melted - not great because she doesn't like ice cream (I usually eat it). I would have marked them down for this had it not been for the fact that the problems with service has obviously been noticed by the management and efforts have been made to rectify that problem in the form of a las who was in training. Plus it was busy anyway with a funeral or wedding or something (same thing if you ask me), not to mention the day before Easter. So I didn't mark them down for this simply because they were doing something about it.

When we got the bill we were pleasantly surprised. Although the prices are not what you would call cheap, they are very reasonable for the quality of food received.

This review is from the first visit to the pub and I can't wait to return although I'll probably have the same thing, but hopefully with the creme brulee to follow lol.

Thanks Foxglove for a lovely, reasonably priced meal.

Room Tip: Even if you are not a vegie try the three cheese and potato pie.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Went here sea bass very substandard dry and chewy very overpriced for the quality. On the plus the staff are lovely and the pub is very welcoming. Food needs improving. Would go again just wouldn't order fish.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We found this lovely hotel/inn on the Internet and decided to visit as a family of two adults and two children and we were not disappointed. Very clean rooms with flat screen tv (we took a DVD player for the kids at night that plugged in) and very spacious too, particularly the family rooms which consisted of a large double bed and a good sized fold out bed. Decent size bathroom with big shower and option to request complimentary shower products if you forget them. Great location for travel around Yorkshire. Continental breakfast is okay, but get early as milk gets warm! Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This 'budget' inn was recommended to us and we were not disappointed. Our whole experience was excellent. The Inn, the accommodation, the staff and the restaurant were without fault. We stayed for two nights on a deal that included English Breakfast, for just under £44 per room per night. We dined in the restaurant on one night and it was fabulous. We do travel quite a bit and having read some of the other comments, almost wonder if we are talking about the same place. We thought the food was both excellent quality and very good value. We would now like to visit another Innkeeper's Lodge to see if the same standard is across the board

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Went for dinner last night, overpriced, extremely slow service, decidingly average overpriced food, the gravey for my wife's lamb shank pie, came out at the same time as the bill, Avoid!

Worst £50 for dinner for two that I've had the misfortune to spend, might be worth taking into account if you were thinking of going here on Thursday for valentines, As the Kitchen and staff obviously can't cope with large numbers of covers!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had two rooms, and for the price, could not find fault except perhaps that my daughter found the first floor rooms a little dark as the windows are small - ours on the ground floor was fine.
Food - Friday night - waited over an hour after ordering. When it did arrive the portion was small and there were no accompaniments - never did find out what happened to the "slaw" which was supposed to be served with the tuna burgers - only a burger and chips arrived. Having worked in the trade a long time ago, I would have thought an apology would have been in order (most of us understand that kitchens have "bad" nights) but nothing was forthcoming. On the Saturday night we returned after a great meal in Huddersfield and had a nightcap (we were "told" where we could sit so as not to get mixed up with the diners? - by 10pm the place was hardly full). I had a look at the meals others were eating and, that evening, they did look less meagre and more appetising but it was a lot later in the evening. The "free" buffet breakfast was adequate. I would stay here again as the accommodation was excellent value (winter deal price) but I think I would go elsewhere to eat (my son-in-law was brought up locally so knows the area and kept wishing we had gone up to the "Woodman")

Room Tip: Look for the special offers on accommodation, ask for a ground floor room and eat elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple