“Disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 25 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
doncaster
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Cannot fault the hotel and complimentary continental breakfast.... however the food and service leave a lot to be desired.

we were a table of 8 eating at a quiet time, the pub was less than half full. We waited nearly 40 minutes for starters and the same again for the maincourse.
2 the starters we ordered, the same mushroom dish were stone cold, the waitress was very apologetic, but we recieved the same plate of of food back, that had just been warmed up in the microwave. We ordered 5 steaks and none were not cooked as were requested, but given the time we waited, and they were hot, we never sent them back.
Considering the prices, which i would describe as slighty higher than average (£6-8 for a starter and the steaks were £14) we all thought the portion sizes were skimpy, i had about 5 'steak cut chips' and 2 tiny onion rings.

i would stay here again but would eat elsewhere

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank peakstone21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Not sure what all the bad reviews have been about. We've just been for dinner and it's been a really good experience - staff were attentative and helpful, only one menu item was unavailable (and there was a replacement for that), the food was delivered in perfect time (in other words not too quickly and not too long a wait), was piping hot and had been freshly prepared and cooked. A reasonable wine list at reasonable prices. 3 evening meals (with extras), 2 bottles of wine, 3 beers, all excellent quality for £90. Top class, well done!

Room Tip: Looks like a value chain restaurant but provides a quality unique experience
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I've just written the following self-explanatory customer feedback message to Vintage Inns: ""Food OK. Staff extremely helpful and attentive - can't fault them.
Table rocked badly and had to be wedged. Table sticky but blamed on
the cleaner used (!?). Gents' rather smelly with slight urine leak
from one stall (not good)! However reason for writing is that staff
refused to accept current '20% off food bill' voucher on basis that
the Fixed Price Menu is a special offer and therefore excluded by the
terms of the voucher. This is clearly utter nonsense as the Fixed
Price Menu is NOT a special offer - it is one of the standard menus
on all your websites. Indeed, this is the only menu on your websites
which specifically uses the term 'main course' - purchase of at least
one main course being a condition of the offer!! Nowhere on your a la
carte menu is the term 'main course' used (so on a strict
interpretation of the offer no discount would be available from the a
la carte menu)! I'm not bothered about the money - just outraged at
being lured into one of your pubs and then being told the voucher
which has led me to patronise you was not valid - when it clearly was
on any normal understanding of the English language. Comments please!!
You clearly need to better train your staff and/or correctly word your
'offer'. I intend to forward this correspondence to 'Trading
Standards' because you are clearly in breach of consumer protection
legislation. "

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sheffielder007
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Foxglove is a lovely Inn and definitely feels the class above your normal pub. The food is always lovely- I have eaten here for lunch, dinner in the week and on a few occasions I have had their Sunday roast. Food is always well presented and cooked perfectly. The atmosphere is nice for families, couples and friends alike and it is always welcoming and warm inside.

I would recommend the turkey sunday roast, Hunter's chicken and any fish dishes!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here en route to Great Yarmouth to give my husband a break from driving. We were allocated roon 21 and, given that we are a family of 4, was ideal for us. Room was spotless. Hats off to Pauline, one of the cleaners. She is a credit to your Company. Bar service was slow to say the least. Coffee was cold by the time I got it. I asked for a cream tea - was told they had the jam and cream in stock but no scones : made me chuckle but the guy was deadly serious! That aside, if you are looking for spotlessly clean, cheap accommodation, this hotel is highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Great hotel with great staff & good value for money.Would recommend.
Pub next door is fine with large & pleasant garden area.
Continental breakfast also great with reasonable coffee.toast.croissants,grapefruit, dry fruits,yoghurts,cereals, juices & cheese.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I recently stayed at The Foxglove for a work trip. To check in you need to go through the bar which is full of period features like wooden beams and decorative pictures and paintings. The staff I met were very friendly and were happy to help with any queries I had.

I stayed in a ground floor room in the Lodge which is situated in a separate building to the rear of the bar. The entrance is with a key fob and only residents can access the building so it is very safe. There is free car parking outside as well.

My room was very spacious and altogether lovely. I was in a double room which had freeview tv, tea and coffee making facilities, alarm (on TV) and free wifi. I had an eco shower in the bathroom rather than a bath and it was perfect - great pressure, great temperature which can sometimes be a bit tricky in hotels, depending on what time you get up!

I had a comfortable night's sleep after which I enjoyed a continental breakfast. There is plenty to choose from, bagels and croissants (not always fresh though!) to a range of cereals, fresh fruit and fruit pieces, dried fruit, teas, coffees etc. I am pretty sure there is also a cooked breakfast option although I didn't see anyone have this. The continental breakfast was included in my room charge.

I stayed for 2 nights and ate dinner in the bar on one evening. I had a lovely chicken caesar salad but they have a good variety of food and it is well presented when it arrives. The bar seems to be popular with families and friends socialising alike.

The only negative about my stay was that the bin in my bathroom had not been emptied between the previous guest's stay and mine so I was a bit surprised at what I saw when I went to use it! However, I only noticed it at the end of my stay so it didn;t have a great affect on my experience.

I found this hotel excellent value for money - I booked a summer special offer and my room incl. continental breakfast came to £35 per night which I think is very reasonable considering how much I enjoyed my stay.

I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area again for business or on a weekend away with friends.

Room Tip: Before you book check out the vintage inns website to see if they have any offers on. If you sign u...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huddersfield
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel
Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel
#10 of 17 in Huddersfield
Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Huddersfield, Kirkburton? Share your experiences!