“Very nice”

and 1 more site!
Elm Crest Guest Hotel
Ranked #8 of 21 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Nice guest house in a green area of Hudds, about 10 mins or so walk from the centre. Nice room, pleasant owners, nice breakfast. Very reasonably priced, Hudds is rather lacking a bit in its range of hotels nowadays with the demise of the George. This is a certainly one of the best options.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jim J

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here last weekend. It was lovely to arrive feeling very hot and dehydrated and be met by Chas and offered hot refreshing tea and lots of scrumptious scones with homemade preserves. The room was comfortable and had a very efficient hairdryer - usually they are not very effective. There was plenty of space and felt very comfortable with a couple of easy chairs to sit in. We ate out at the 'Sizzling pub' which was surprisingly good and modestly priced. Breakfat was excellent- not too huge a portion- just right. My husband thought the home made marmalade was wonderful. The only slight negative was the slow shower -- but all in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We found this guest house because there is a brown sign on the main road. This was very lucky as we had not liked our booked hotel somewhere else in Huddersfield and had to find somewhere to stay in a hurry as we had to change and be at a party within the hour!

What a find and how nice and helpful were Chas and Sue who immediately offered us a room and calmed us down with a cup of tea.

I see from previous reviews that it has all been said before but we found the whole experience delightful.

It only remains to say a big thank you to both Chas and Sue for being so helpful and accommodating with absolutely no prior warning whatsoever.

If ever we need to stay in Huddersfield again we know exactly where to come.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Elm Crest is a lovely venue to stay at. The proprietors Chas & Sue do all they can to make your visit memorable. The accommodation is very tasteful and comfortable. The breakfasts are excellent, enhanced by Sue's homemade conserves. Another lovely touch are the scones left out for you to take when you come in. Good selection of in room drinks and biscuits. Fabulous chandeliers. All at good value. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Don't worry all rooms are good.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The people were really nice; very welcoming and accommodating and did everything they could for us. The room was beautiful and very cosy. The full english breakfast was excellent and the homemade jams served with the toast were delicious. On arrival the owner offered to give us a lift down to the local pub where he and his wife were having a meal. The building itself is very handsome and well sign posted.
I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

we have just had a very comfortable stay at the Elm Crest Guest House on the outskirts of Huddersfield. A Victorian property with lots of character. the owners, Sue and Chas, gave us a very warm welcome of tea and homemade scones. Our room was so comfortable, i wanted to take the bed home with me. One thing that we found very nice which I think sets them apart from other guest Houses/BB's was that they were prepared to wait up for us to arrive, which wasn't too late, but we have known others to insist on certain times of arrival. All the rooms are nicely decorated and well kept. breakfast was ample, and the breakfast room lovely to sit in.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

What an absolute gem this place is! You can expect to pay for quality or you can expect to find a plethora of cheap places, but it takes a very special place and dedicated couple to offer both.

The building is well sign posted from the main road and I found it without a SatNav. Upon arriving I parked my motorbike in the large gravel car park, but was advised to move it away from the road to avoid it being seen by undesirables. I struggled to move the bike on my own and the owner came out to help.

I had booked and paid for my single ensuite room on the guest house's website so the owners were expecting me, but I was unable to provide an accurate arrival time but this did not seem to be a problem with my host as he was extremely welcoming, and after completing my registration form and making my breakfast selection i was taken to my room.

The room was just the right size for a single bed, and had a well laid-out bathrooms to one end. The coffee tray was well stocked with real coffee and even a hot chocolate. My bed was comfortable and the large sash window opened easily to air my room.

The owner offered to call me a taxi to get me into town which i was happy to accept, but was surprised just how close the Elm Crest is to the town centre, so close in fact that i walked back later that night.

The breakfast room is beautiful - no other word for it! My breakfast was a full english (I was away from home and it is the law!). I had ordered it when i arrived, and i feel this system works as it ensures your breakfast is waiting for you when you arrive, but if you want to be more flexible just expect a short wait - which is not a chore in this place. Before my breakfast arrived i was free to help myself to a choice of juices, fruit segments, yoghurt and cereals. The table setting was simple and elegant with a selection of HOMEMADE preservatives. My Full English was fresh and well made, and accompanied with a choice of toast.

My break was over the weekend so was told that there was no rush for me to check out (but i would always check as some places charge extra for late checkout as they need to have the room ready for the next guest) but I was all ready to go for 10:30 but stood talking to the owners for quite some time.

If you have a choice of places to stay, please do give the delightful Elm Crest a go! The likes of Travel Lodge and Premier Inn earn their money from corporate deals and interest free credit accounts but they do not offer the kind of warmth and kindness that you will find here.

Room Tip: Use the website to see images and detailed description of the rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo