“Not your run of the mill museum.”
Review of Tolson Museum

Tolson Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Please note we are temporarily closed until Saturday 21st October to allow for refurbishment works to take place. A treasure trove of the fascinating, the curious and the amazing! A vivid and intriguing picture of the area and its people, from prehistory to present day, revealed through world class collections. From Roman finds to textiles, from birds to transport, Tolson is Huddersfield's history book.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I first visited the Tolson Museum when I was a child and decided recently that I wanted to see how it looked now. I am really glad I went. It has not changed very much but there were additional displays that were new to me. It is a great place to take the kids and the adjoining park is a bonus. The staff were also very helpful and knowledgable. It is also free to get in.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Been going there for over 60 years, 1st I went from school, then i took the children & now the grandchildren - a good place for an afternoon out - an old museum converted from a large house but kept up to date - and there are swings etc in the park for afterwards.

1  Thank mxcontroller
Reviewed June 5, 2013

a great museum with all sorts of bits of history, and all for free too which makes it even better, the staff were helpful and polite and we were made to fell very welcome

1  Thank Daniel R
Reviewed May 10, 2013

When I was pre-school age, my grandma would take me to Tolson Museum at least once a week and to the park situated on the grounds, and not only did I love it as a child but as an adult (one who actually reads the information now!) it's just as magical. Children will love the interactive stations around (and my favourite which was the old school room!) but adults can really enjoy the sheer quantity of fantastic information, which ranges from old engines to more recent modern history items. It's so much more than one would expect from the outside and to this day I'm not sure how it's so big on the inside! I can't possibly recommend Tolson Museum enough, and I implore everyone in the Huddersfield area to go take an afternoon to visit it!

1  Thank Bethelanna
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been going to the Museum for over 50 years - first as a child and then, during 6th form, on work experience in the archaeology department, having been involved with the excavations at Castle Hill in the late 60's/early 70's. I have recently revisited and, although the clock-maker's workshop is no longer in the little room at the end of the top gallery, the "zoo" is still as amazing as ever with its huge array of animal and bird specimens and many of the other exhibits have been refreshed and/or replaced. The atmosphere has always been very special and the museum has retained this. For a relatively small institution, it has an incredible range of exhibits and there really is something for everyone without the exhausting tour of gallery after gallery which is so prevalent in the big City museums. Old and young can find something to enjoy here in relaxed, informative surroundings.

2  Thank Tigerseye45