“Lovely little restaurant with great food and service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
1881 Restaurant Bar and Grill
Cuisines: Italian
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely little restaurant with great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I wasn't aware that Il Gatto Nero had closed down and we headed down last night to celebrate my husbands birthday. 1881 has opened in it's place and I was delighted with the changes.

The restaurant wasn't busy but after eating there I thought I had to write a review to let people know how good the food and service was.

The menu is small and simple though there are specials on every day. The service was great the staff were very attentive and chatty.

The children started with the spare ribs which they both confirmed were one of the best they have tasted (and believe me they've tried ribs almost everywhere). I started with the French onion soup with crusty bread which was homemade and very tasty. My husband had the breaded brie which I also tried and was very good, although it was a very large portion I wouldn't have been able to eat it all.

I had the roast of the day which was roast beef, very well cooked, with homemade yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and veg which was all very tasty and well cooked. My husband had the seafood ravioli which he said was good. Even the pizza looked well cooked and tasted good.

For dessert we tried the gin and lime cheesecake which was served with an extra shot of bombay sapphire in case we didn't think there was enough gin in it (you could taste the gin but it was even better with some more poured over the top), it was a very light cheesecake perfect after a large filling meal.

The homemade apple pie and custard and ice cream went down well with the children too.

• Visited August 2012