“Wonderful Pie!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 25 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
Chapel en le Frith, null, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Pie!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband is on a self set quest for delicious pie and he rated the steak, kidney and mushroom pie as one of the best - and I quite agree. It seems kidney has fallen from grace in many pies but it was here, deliciously soft and making a wonderful filling. The dining area we sat in could be described as 'cosy' but if you are a bit nosy you could enjoy many conversations taking place in close proximity!!! (just remember you are also overheard) that said, we did enjoy our visit and will definitely return. The location is great and the staff were lovely and efficient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank RosalindG194

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We went to the Three Acres and I expected a fantastic meal, however, I really was disappointed. The quality and taste of food v cost is most certainly not on par. I ordered the pate starter which was nice/slightly above average but not worth nearly £11, followed by the duck which the breast was cooked lovely, however, the skin of the confit of leg was really fatty and unappetising. The overall whole dish was tasteless barring salt. I just put it down to a bad dish so I thought id follow by the marmalade pudding which again was nice/average (very small portion) but not worth the money. I'm really disappointed as I would have loved a good experience here but sadly I won't be returning.

• Stayed October 2013
wakefield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Had not been to The Three Acres for some time but we were in the area so it seemed like a good idea to try it for lunch. We were disappointed with our experience and will not be going back. Service was disjointed and innattentive - everyone seemed to be rushing around but I have no idea what they were doing. They certainly didn't provide excellent service, it was difficult to attract their attention at times and my glass had been empty for some time and then I had to find someone to get me another drnk. My wife had a prawn open sandwich and the prawns had not been properly shelled so she kept finding bits of shell in her mouth - not very pleasant. I complained and after the problem had been referred to the chef we received an apology - but nothing else. At the prices this place charges it has to deliver excellence in service and food. It missed the mark for us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jhar7787
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

A local colleague was married here a few years ago, and insisted I spend at least one night during a business trip in May 2013. "The best food in Yorkshire," he said.

Loved the location-- high and windswept-- the ample parking, and the warm welcome. The room was wonderful with lots of light, a very comfortable bed, and a lovely bath. The supper was terrific, a wonderful soup and blood sausage (can't judge the value because my colleague paid); service was friendly and efficient. Slept like a baby and woke to a beautiful dawn through large windows.

Unfortunately I had to leave at 6:30 a.m., and therefore was going to miss breakfast. But the lovely woman setting things up for it would not hear of that. She insisted on packing me up a fresh croissant, some grapes, yogurt, and a few other luscious things in a bag so I could eat on the road.

All in all, I was delighted. Am now trying to make up reasons to return to Yorkshire frequently just so I can stay here as often as possible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

This time, again, I had the Roast Beef, far better then last time and certainly not warmed up, but a large portion is very large, next time will choose the smaller portion if I decide to have beef. Whilst the lunch time menu appears to be large, there is not much choice, the fish of the day was cooked with some strange foreign sausage rocket and garlic, enough to put off the strongest of constitutions. The prices, well they have god through the roof, Fillet Steak close on 30 quid. This time both the owners were in evidence, one of them totally ignoring people, not better then when they are in harness.

This place is certainly gong down the hill, perhaps as one customer says, try the Kay Arms, wherever this is. £90 quid for lunch and a moderate bottle of wine well, I will not mention this to my bank manager, yes we do still have one.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank haymaking
Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,796 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Took the mother in law here for the first time & she loved it. Overall great food & service. Not sure where the towelling hand towels have gone in the gents, as I hate hand dryers.
Mixed grill massive, so gutted I couldn't manage a pud. Great wine list.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Leedsaway67
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited the Three Acres one Saturday evening in August. On arrival, we received a friendly welcome from the staff and initially sat on a small table in the middle of the restuarant. We felt a little uncomfortable for what we hoped would be a nice intimate meal, so after mentioning it to the waitress, we were quickly moved us to a snug corner. From then on the evening was generally enjoyable. We managed to select a decent white wine to accompany our dinner, which was well presented but unremarkable. All in all, our evening out at the Three Acres cost in the region of £80 for 2 courses plus wine in a good but not a great gastro pub.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kevinrt10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huddersfield
Durker Roods Hotel
Bagden Hall Hotel
Bagden Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Scissett
Huddersfield Central Lodge Hotel

Been to Three Acres Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!