“Good food, cramped accommodation”

Three Acres Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 25 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, cramped accommodation”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

A short break at the Three Acres was saved by the good food. Dinner proved a success with a straightforward approach to the preparation of fine ingredients. Service was ok, given the restaurant was full to bursting. The hotel room we had was in an annex at the rear if the hotel. It had seen better days and was cramped with the bed fronting the main door such that entry with a suitcase was an obstacle race. At least it was cool in the heat wave. Breakfast was good.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnofthefarm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is the restaurant I always take guests to because the food is excellent and there's nowhere else in the area with such a good atmosphere. But last night the service was terrible. We waited 55 minutes between the starter and main course and I suspect the mains only arrived then because my partner went to find out what had happened to it. We had to re-order wine for two guests because the first order never materialised. It was an embarrassing experience for us as hosts. To cap it all, when my partner went to pay (why do they have this stupid system where you have to pay at the desk - he had to stand in a queue with 4 people in front!!) they had tried to put someone else's drinks order (amounting to almost £40) on our bill!! There was NO APOLOGY from the cashier who merely said 'well we have been very busy'. Sorry, but that's no excuse. Isn't 'busy' a good thing for a restaurant? The staff here are letting the chef down by slack service and a less than courteous manner.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank SRush2n
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had heard very good things about this restaurant so when given the drinks menu to choose from I thought a Bloody Mary would be nice to have before dinner. Not sure what happened while making it but it was like sucking a vindaloo through a straw. Disgusting. I was being treated by a friend and felt embarrassed to complain but just had to as it was Un drinkable. The Manager was very gracious and gave me a very small glass of red wine in exchange. The food however did live up to expectations but again if being charged over £30 for a steak I expect it to be perfect. The meat had excellent flavour but the chips where a bit too rustic for my liking, lots of little hard crunchy bits etc. I expected more finesse. The menu also lacked class as it was a laminated card which just didn't fit with the message the venue is trying to portray.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kirstie B
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Went for a ladies lunch and always enjoy the Three Acres. Wonderful meal in relaxing and interesting atmosphere. Service efficient and thankfully no interruptions during our meal. (I hate being asked if everything is ok; if it isn't I'll say so.) Delicious glass of house white and steak sandwich with field mushrooms and Stilton. Some reviewers have complained about the price but the quality and quantity of the dishes make it fair value. The best restaurant in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank HJB7
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We ate here as part of a large party, ranging in age from 22 to 92 and had a wonderful meal. Service was friendly and efficient and the food was beautifully presented and delicious. There was plenty of choice, including interesting vegetarian options. Even though we were a large party all the food arrived at the same time and was hot when it came to the table. The dessert choice was wonderful and for those who could not choose there was a sampler plate to share. A very enjoyable experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Ate here again for Sunday lunch with our friends during the early May Bank Holiday. Staff were very pleasant, but service was abit slow in places. Our food was very enjoyable, and I once again had the prawn and crayfish cocktail followed by some perfectly cooked and tender rib of beef. I do thin Sun lunch is good value, but I do question the value proposition regards the normal menu. Yes, it's good quality, but the price does tend to slightly exceed the quality equation. I'm sure we will revisit for Sunday lunch in the not so distant future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lyn17
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Clearly a big step up from just about any other restaurant in the area - eg: one dining area is named the 'Krug room' (or something like that). Fabulous wine list, menu includes a seafood platter with fresh oysters etc. Sky-high reputation and beautiful setting. Huge car park full of 4x4 BMW's / mercs etc.

Unfortunately, when I last ate there it was a real disappointment: my (very expensive) bottle of burgundy was over warm (volatile even) the pigeon was tough, at this price level one expects considerably better. My daughter loved the 'fish and chips' with mushy peas and chips - but that's not really why one goes to such a place. We kind of felt ripped off. Shame.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank me-myself-i-tp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huddersfield
Durker Roods Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newmillerdam
Heath Cottage Hotel
Heath Cottage Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dewsbury

Been to Three Acres Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!