“Don't go to eat.”

The Woodman Inn
Ranked #2 of 25 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
“Don't go to eat.”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We are locals and are very disappointed. Since it has been refurbished the menu is poor and very unvaried. I agree with the bad reviews and won't be going to eat again until the supposed new menu is in place 3 weeks roughly. There is to much good competition in the area. They should have opened when the menu was in place.

When we went the steak was mainly inedible and my salmon was over cooked.

Might I add we were never told about the menu even though we live two minutes up the road and are locals it was our inlaws who don't even live in Huddersfield.

Please sort the woodman out and bring back your wonderful food and the old menu.

On the plus side the new lady downstairs is excellent.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Demelza1977

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Known the pub for years and it's generally always been a nice place to call for a pint or a bite to eat if you are out that way. The place has had it's moments and in fairness there's some pretty stiff competition in the area. Presently the restaurant only seems to serve the same food as downstairs which is dissapointing as was the menu. If you like basic and old fashioned pub grub ( inc prawn cocktail and fish and chips) and can't be bothered cooking for yourself at home you will probably be fine. However, if it's a special night out (with the wife or friends to impress) and you're looking for a more up market and contemporary menu served with style and certainly much more imagination to tempt the old taste buds, then look elsewhere for now.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Skymarshall
Widdington
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Upon receiving an invitation to a family wedding in which the Woodman would play the host for the reception I took a look on the experiences had by others on tripadviser. It seems that people have varied experiences and impressions from one extreme to the other. I thought I would offer my own. I will say that this is a subjective experience as the family wedding was a wonderful day,the bride, groom and their guests (including me) all had a fantastic time, which of course reflects and affects my experience at the place.

I checked in on a Friday to the venue that was to play host to a family wedding the following day. Upon arrival I was well looked after by friendly staff who started my experience in a positive manner and made me feel welcome and relaxed. I was travelling with my 2 year old son and we stayed in the family room.

The pub is set in a beautiful location and as a building is attractive. On the doorstep you have shirt walks with stunning views.
The ground floor consisting of pub, come informal dining area, come guest lounge has been tastefully refurbed by the new owners to help offer comfort and is aesthetically pleasing. I liked the pictures that reflect the history of the pub and it's surrounds. Perhaps reminding all its guest that as a pub it is part of our heritage and has been for a long time. And will hopefully remain so for a lot longer too.

The tables are well spaced. The fire was burning and on a arriving at 4pm on a Friday there was a great traditional pub atmosphere.The Timmy Taylor logo on the front of this freehouse proudly represents the fact it was the first pub that TT allowed to serve its brew outside of its own pubs. The ale on offer was second to none. Timmy Taylor Boltmaker, Landlord and Black Sheep Bitter all in fantastic condition.

The room was very pleasant. Yes, I agree with some comments that it was a little dated but from what I gather this will be part of phase 2 of the new owners upgrade. But don't get me wrong, a dated room that was never the less very clean, very tidy and had a comfy bed, pleasant sheets and if I'm being picky a mass of pillows that were too firm for my liking.
The room amenities were more than ample. You have your standard offerings of tea, coffee, hot choc and some biscuits (which my son found rather quickly), a tray of bathroom amenities, good quality toilet paper and a trouser press!!
The bathroom was clean and the shower had descent water pressure and the towels were large and soft. The hot water does get hot, so watch your kiddies if put in the bath or left to wash their own hands.

I see some comments that the TV's weren't working. If you take a look out of the back window then you'll see why the digital reception is dodgy. The 100ft natural York stone wall acts as a great signal blocker. As I would imagine is the same reason for lack of mobile phone reception. If these two items are part of your criteria for a room then I would advise against the place. However, if like myself you are part of a party and intend to use your room for simply sleeping and can deal with the fact you have your nearest and dearest in the same building so don't need to be in emergency contact with them then it's ideal.
I also noticed that during the wedding breakfast and party that no one was seen gazing into their smartphone or chatting away to someone with a phone pressed against their chin. I know that sounds as if you wouldn't do that at a wedding but the next wedding you're at watch out for those addicted to their phones. So without having to ask people to turn phones off during the wedding breakfast, mother nature that surrounds the building takes care of that.

I visited my Uncles on the Friday evening for dinner so didn't eat at the Woodman but before leaving had a look at the pub menu offered downstairs. And watched the plates of food being delivered to those who were eating. Fantastic classic pub grub, delivered using fresh ingredients. Surely, what we all want from a pub?!?! The price is what you'd expect to pay. Okay you can find cheaper, but look around at the what the owners have spent to offer a comfortable experience and the fact that they have enough staff to take care of you and enough chef's cooking to keep down wait times which I believe justifies the price on the menu. And if you do think the food is expensive, relish that the alcohol prices, which I considered very fair.

I didn't see the fine dining menu from upstairs but the restaurant on the second floor is inviting and cozy, with some great sofa's to enjoy a drink prior to taking your seat.

The staff-
Well I see people have varied experiences. I have a friend who works for a big fresh food chain and he was telling me about 2 complaint letters he recently received from the same weekend. The complaints were about staff,on the Saturday the worst experience had been had and on the Sunday the best. The similarity was that the parties had both been served by the same person..!!! Work that out. We all have different ideas of how we want to be served and treated and at the end of the day the people serving us are humans and as humans we don't always get things 100% Unless you have worked in the industry Im not sure you can fully understand how many factors come into play when serving a table and their requirements.

I think this must be the case in the Woodman as I believe I encountered a lot of their staff over the weekend and they were all so friendly and welcoming. I approached them in a friendly manner and they reciprocated. I even got to know a couple by name and would commend Max and Jacob for their efforts in helping my cousins wedding look, run and feel so good.

I met one of the partners and was pointed out the the others who were at the pub with their family. You could sense that they want people to enjoy the place and they themselves offered a greeting and farewell with smiles.

As a wedding venue it offers comfy seating, a feeling of personal space and good dancing area that sits far enough away from members of the party that didn't wish to be part of the boogying. Also the noise of the party is well shielded from the bedrooms.

The wedding breakfast was served by a friendly team in a very constant stream.Hats off to the boys and girls in the kitchen for the delivery.The roast beef was served deliciously pink (just as I like it) and the side of vegetables cooked well. Service was attentative and unobtrusive. They even took my eye contact when asking seemingly genuinely when checking back on my table.

The fact that I was staying onsite made the experience a wonderful leisurely one. I could pop back to the room to change my sons nappy, give him a bath and get him ready for his first wedding dance off!
No thoughts on getting a taxi or having to leave before I was ready was ideal and also no extra taxi cost for taking me to another hotel room was involved. Remembering I was paying less than £90 for a family room it all made sense.....and the breakfast, perfect. Well cooked, a large time window and a great selection. I had eggs benedict one day and a full English the next. Once again, if I had to be critical I wish they had larger coffee cups as I am partial to a long mug of coffee or two in the mornings. On request one was found and a large coffee poured.

So, that my experience of the Woodman. I hope you have a similar one.....

Room Tip: Family Room on the 1st floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BottleBeach
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I really wanted to like this pub restaurant. The setting is beautiful, its recent refurbishment is impressive and I had great hopes that it would become my favourite local restaurant. I've given it three chances (two evenings and one lunch) since it reopened and am dumbfounded as to why no-one seems to be able to make this place good again. Can the new owner please get a chef who can cook! Isn't this the most important thing to get right? If you like the usual heavyweight 'pub grub' you'll be fine but if you prefer something more imaginative (and lighter) this isn't the place for you. They have no idea how to make a Caesar salad (my friend counted 18 whole anchovies which smothered any other taste and made it totally inedible) and the risotto was just microwaved mush. Ladies who lunch be warned!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank SRush2n
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I wish this was my local, I loved it from start to finish. I had a meeting locally and this was the closest accommodation. I was in the hotel management industry for many years and I have stayed at the best hotels all over the world, so I know brilliant service when I see it.

I arrived around 5pm to be greeted by a lovely lady who knew who I was before I told her. My bag was taken to my room by one of the many delightful bar staff. I booked a single room which was small but perfect for one person and had everything I needed and for less than a travel lodge and including breakfast.

The owners were attentive and genuine and charming. It’s a gorgeous place, just been refurbished....lovely decor. My friend joined me and we stayed there all night and we ate in the bar. The food was divine. The service was excellent and the staff friendly and professional from start to finish. I had a lovely night’s sleep, followed by a full Yorkshire breakfast, the best I have had for some time and served by yet another delightful member of staff, using the finest quality ingredients. The whole experience was spot on and I just wish it was my local as it would become a second home. I will be back to stay again and again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dibble33
Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

A good evening was spoilt on our last visit to the Woodman Inn. Have been going there for 6 years but the new frosty faced female running the establishment, not to mention her husband who appears to be drinking the profits at the bar and making unecessary comments, is runnin git into the ground - what a shame. Never seen the pub so empty on occasions we have called in for a drink. Food poor some did not come out until some of our party had finished. Poorly cooked. What a huge disppointment. Lets hope they move on soon and get the Woodman Inn back to what it used to be?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Julie H
Bradford
Reviewed September 4, 2012

went to the woodman inn one monday evening.

The staff are absolutely clueless, serve a meal without gravy and when this was requested, answer was 'we dont do gravy on mondays'.

To you, the new owner, what you need to realise is that the public wont put up with such crap service. We have a recession going on here, you need to listen to your customers. Why do you employ incompetent staff when you are taking over a new venture ? More fool you, word gets around and you wont last with staff with atttitude. A beautiful pub in such wonderful surroundings. Get real and act upon these comments. We will not and wont put up with this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jane M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huddersfield
Bagden Hall Hotel
Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel
Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel
#10 of 17 in Huddersfield
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield

Been to The Woodman Inn? Share your experiences!